2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

This would be very Ed Snider-ish ... interview experienced hockey administrators and then hire an experienced hockey analyst and former Flyer as Team President ... Briere (IMO) has great potential and had the intelligence/integrity to get some legit management experience but, unlike Hughes with Gorton, can expect no good assistance from Jones ... likely good for the Eastern conference but not great for the Flyers.

some links to Habstuff

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/habs-headlines-martin-st-louis-world-hockey-championship-chl-stanley-cup-playoffs-subban/

Wideman on St Louis;

“He looked around the room, he said, ‘I’ve literally been every single one of your shoes,'” Wideman explains. “I’ve been the guy that’s been a minor leaguer that everybody wrote off. I’ve been a guy that’s been up and down. I’ve been a guy fighting for my job in the NHL.”

As for how he compares to the many coaches Wideman has played under throughout the years, the defenceman claims that the level of respect is the highest he’s ever witnessed.

“I’ve played on a lot of teams. You really get this respect factor that I’ve never seen,” says Wideman. “You’re almost in awe. And he’s a cool guy.”

https://habsprospects.com/

All games are at Eastern time

May 12 games

Finland vs United States 9:10 am - World Championship Preliminary round - Watch on TSN4/RDS/NHLN-US

Joel Armia -
Sean Farrell -
Lane Hutson -
Luke Tuch -

Latvia vs Canada 1:20 pm - World Championship Preliminary round - Watch on TSN1/RDS/NHLN-US

Sam Montembeault -
Justin Barron -

Maybe the Coyotes will FINALLY move after a vote for a new arena lost. The ideal spot IMO would obviously be the Nordiques, but that's not likely unless ownership is ready to really overpay.  KC and Houston seem pretty blah to me; at least KC doesn't already have an NBA team so there could be more attention there, but the Houston market is hard to overlook.

22 minutes ago, Neech said:

Maybe the Coyotes will FINALLY move after a vote for a new arena lost. The ideal spot IMO would obviously be the Nordiques, but that's not likely unless ownership is ready to really overpay.  KC and Houston seem pretty blah to me; at least KC doesn't already have an NBA team so there could be more attention there, but the Houston market is hard to overlook.

I think moving is likely because they can’t play in that college arena for long. 

Quebec makes sense for a few reasons but I don’t think Bettman would even consider Canada. 

8 hours ago, Neech said:

If they move the team to Quebec, which Eastern timezone team is getting booted to the Western Conference?  Making a team play 41 times out of their timezone is not going to go over well in whichever market gets the short straw there.  That also will likely result in divisional realignment which will anger another market or two.  Does the NHL want to anger existing franchises to move the team to a small market Canadian city?  We're already starting to see cracks in Winnipeg with declining attendance and sponsorship dollars which certainly won't help Quebec either.

(Yes, Atlanta moved to Winnipeg but as many won't recall, they had to play in the Southeast Division for a year which didn't go over well.  It so happened that Columbus and Detroit were looking to move to the East and so they were able to eventually rejig the divisions to go 8/8 in the East and 7/7 in the West but with 8/8/8/8 now, they probably don't want a conference imbalance.)

In an ideal world for the NHL, they'd be looking to move Arizona to a spot in the Central timezone.  That's Houston or Kansas City. 

47 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If they move the team to Quebec, which Eastern timezone team is getting booted to the Western Conference?  Making a team play 41 times out of their timezone is not going to go over well in whichever market gets the short straw there.  That also will likely result in divisional realignment which will anger another market or two.  Does the NHL want to anger existing franchises to move the team to a small market Canadian city?

For making this decision, "the NHL" is effectively the board of governors anyway, so any franchise-specific issues will surely be discussed as part of the decision-making process.

As much as Quebec might "deserve" a franchise over someone like Kansas City, I think that's a long shot. Time zone and realignment issues aside, the big concern will be the size of the local market. I think Houston will be the likely destination ...

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

For making this decision, "the NHL" is effectively the board of governors anyway, so any franchise-specific issues will surely be discussed as part of the decision-making process.

As much as Quebec might "deserve" a franchise over someone like Kansas City, I think that's a long shot. Time zone and realignment issues aside, the big concern will be the size of the local market. I think Houston will be the likely destination ...

F**k Quebec City. I hope the Nordiques remain a rotting corpse in the dirt for all eternity.

Good that the Coyotes debacle is, quite likely, finally drawing to an end.

Revive the Kansas City Scouts, man! I have a soft spot for those 1970s/WHA-era franchises, LOL. 

image.png

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

If they move the team to Quebec, which Eastern timezone team is getting booted to the Western Conference?  Making a team play 41 times out of their timezone is not going to go over well in whichever market gets the short straw there.  That also will likely result in divisional realignment which will anger another market or two.  Does the NHL want to anger existing franchises to move the team to a small market Canadian city?  We're already starting to see cracks in Winnipeg with declining attendance and sponsorship dollars which certainly won't help Quebec either.

(Yes, Atlanta moved to Winnipeg but as many won't recall, they had to play in the Southeast Division for a year which didn't go over well.  It so happened that Columbus and Detroit were looking to move to the East and so they were able to eventually rejig the divisions to go 8/8 in the East and 7/7 in the West but with 8/8/8/8 now, they probably don't want a conference imbalance.)

In an ideal world for the NHL, they'd be looking to move Arizona to a spot in the Central timezone.  That's Houston or Kansas City. 

Well I heard Sacaramento owner is looking for hockey team.

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well I heard Sacaramento owner is looking for hockey team.

Interestingly, he didn't wind up bidding on the Sens.  But perhaps with a chance maybe one day to relocate a franchise to Sacramento, his interest would pick up.

46 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Interestingly, he didn't wind up bidding on the Sens.  But perhaps with a chance maybe one day to relocate a franchise to Sacramento, his interest would pick up.

Wonder whether his research envisaged the failure of the referendum?

Although, from what I could find online the Golden 1 Centre does not currently have the capability to host hockey games.

1 hour ago, Helmethead said:

Later gater!

Dubas is out.

Cue the Bergervin talk..

Quinnville will be cleared and will be leafs next coach - after Dubas is replaced. 

I don’t think Bergevin will be GM there though. Not sure who but I doubt it’s him. 

I hope leafs hire Bergevin and then Sutter or Ducharme or Therrien to coach! 

Screw those guys

• Like 1

I am a long time Habs fan but as I have been reading and hearing all that has gone on with the Leafs in the past 24 hours, if I take a step back and just look over what has happened this is what I am wondering. 

First I think Brendan Shanahan has done a very good job in his position at MLSE. I think he is a quality hockey guy but I wonder if this situation could have been resolved differently with a bit or leadership in a different way.

There are some leaders who I think sometimes respond a little harshly and a little too quickly. From a distance I wonder if that happened here. The Leafs are now in a position where they have no GM heading into a period of time that includes signing or trading key players, the entry draft the end of June and free agent signing July 1.

My question is this. It appears Shanahan wanted Dubas back as his GM. Things were close to being settled until Dubas came back with a counter offer for more money and possibly more power, although we don't know that for certain. 

Wouldn't it have been better for Shanahan to have simply turned Dubas's offer down and said, here is our offer, take it or leave it. I'm guessing, but I think Dubas might have realized he overstepped and he may have accepted the offer and things could have continued for the Leafs in a more orderly fashion. 

Dubas made a mistake. He should have been corrected and put on the spot before being fired. That might have saved them a lot of trouble. Sometimes we have to help people when they make bad choices. We are all capable of making bad choices at key times and sometimes we need someone to save us from ourselves. That might be Dubas and Shanahan in the past 24 hours.

That's my take. 

My guess is this - and I have ZERO evidence other than a hunch. 

my guess is that Shanahan (or higher powers) wanted to change head coaches and Dubas didn’t agree. 

im thrilled if the Maples are in disarray. As much as I believe Keefe didn’t make the necessary adjustments, I believe he will have learned from the past and be a better coach in the future. I don’t think he is so bad that he needs to go. Id have given Dubas/Keefe one more year. 

im glad they aren’t getting that chance. 

3 hours ago, revvvrob said:

My guess is this - and I have ZERO evidence other than a hunch. 

my guess is that Shanahan (or higher powers) wanted to change head coaches and Dubas didn’t agree. 

im thrilled if the Maples are in disarray. As much as I believe Keefe didn’t make the necessary adjustments, I believe he will have learned from the past and be a better coach in the future. I don’t think he is so bad that he needs to go. Id have given Dubas/Keefe one more year. 

im glad they aren’t getting that chance. 

I think the leafs need a coach that is confident enough to call out his top players without having to backtrack because they are pouting - I hope they don’t find the right coach.

im glad Dubas is gone. He was dumb in handing out the contracts to Mathews and Marner and caving on Nylander (although that deal is probably the best value they have now, after overpaying the first three years of the deal). I also think Tavares was a huge mistake - you could see that we’re going to have to pay their young stars, and unless Tavares was willing to sign for less term, it wasn’t a good move to give a 29 year old that kind of money and the full max term. I also think he gave up way too much for guys like Foligno, and the Murrey signing was a mistake. 

having said that, I think he did a masterful job at the deadline and got o’Reilly dirt cheap - especially when you look at what Brisbois gave up for Gaudette. I think Dubas is a bright, forward looking guy who is going to get better with experience, and I’m glad he won’t be in Toronto when that happens.

I hope they hire Bergevin and Bergevin trades Nylander for Gallagher, and either, Savard or Edmondson.

may the leafs rot in hell!

32 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think the leafs need a coach that is confident enough to call out his top players without having to backtrack because they are pouting - I hope they don’t find the right coach.

im glad Dubas is gone. He was dumb in handing out the contracts to Mathews and Marner and caving on Nylander (although that deal is probably the best value they have now, after overpaying the first three years of the deal). I also think Tavares was a huge mistake - you could see that we’re going to have to pay their young stars, and unless Tavares was willing to sign for less term, it wasn’t a good move to give a 29 year old that kind of money and the full max term. I also think he gave up way too much for guys like Foligno, and the Murrey signing was a mistake. 

having said that, I think he did a masterful job at the deadline and got o’Reilly dirt cheap - especially when you look at what Brisbois gave up for Gaudette. I think Dubas is a bright, forward looking guy who is going to get better with experience, and I’m glad he won’t be in Toronto when that happens.

I hope they hire Bergevin and Bergevin trades Nylander for Gallagher, and either. Savard or Gallagher.

may the leafs rot in hell!

Nylander for Gallagher and Gallagher???
😉

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Perhaps, Harold Ballard sold his soul to the devil and that franchise will never ever win another cup?:bouncing:

We can only hope

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Nylander for Gallagher and Gallagher???
😉

Pors meant Gallagher and Edmondson or Savard.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Pors meant Gallagher and Edmondson or Savard.

Really :shocked:

THAT is from out of left-field.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic