2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

Good god, Habs actually have a guy in the top ten in scoring...has been extinct species sighting since Naslund managed the feat in 86.

Where will Suzuki end up in (the all important point race) April?:popcorn:

Yaah!

Slafkovsky was at practice on Monday taking reps in Mike Hoffman’s spot, next to Christian Dvorak and Brendan Gallagher.

Monday, November 21
Practice
LW C RW
22 - Cole Caufield 14 - Nick Suzuki 77 - Kirby Dach
20 - Juraj Slafkovsky 28 - Christian Dvorak 11 - Brendan Gallagher
63 - Evgenii Dadonov 91 - Sean Monahan 17 - Josh Anderson
55 - Michael Pezzetta 71 - Jake Evans 40 - Joel Armia (No contact)
LD RD G
21 - Kaiden Guhle 58 - David Savard 34 - Jake Allen
8 - Mike Matheson 44 - Joel Edmundson 35 - Sam Montembeault
54 - Jordan Harris 26 - Johnathan Kovacevic  
72 - Arber Xhekaj 6 - Chris Wideman

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sens lose 5-1 to San Jose. What the heck is going on there?  In 31st place after 18 games?   Changes/trades have to be coming soon. 

Worst outcome of 2023 draft, IMO ... Toronto getting Bedard ... second worst ... Ottawa getting him ... get your shyte together Sens.

Habs almost at 20 game mark.

Highlighted are the five teams that were expected to finish in the bottom 5 of the league.

1. CAR and WPG do not score much but are keeping score low and staying high in standings.

2. CGY, CBJ, VAN, ANA are horrible defensively.

3. Surprising results for some teams so far:

image.png

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The Sens have actually scored more goals than the Habs, and allowed fewer goals.

it is surprising that they are struggling so much lately, their D depth may be the cause?

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The Sens have actually scored more goals than the Habs, and allowed fewer goals.

I do see your point though, the Sens have lost a lot of close games. Their goal differential is better than a lot of teams with better records. 

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I do see your point though, the Sens have lost a lot of close games. Their goal differential is better than a lot of teams with better records. 

I don't know about @tomh009

I highlighted that because I heard or read an analysis that goal differential is a key statistic to compare teams.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sens lose 5-1 to San Jose. What the heck is going on there?  In 31st place after 18 games?   Changes/trades have to be coming soon. 

It doesn't explain everything going on in Ottawa, but Josh Norris was supposed to be their number 1 C and he's done for the year.  They also have Pinto injured now.  They are hurting down the middle and their defence was always short a top 4 guy and now Chabot is hurt too. Injuries are hitting them hard.   Its not all injuries but its a factor. 

56 minutes ago, DON said:

I think Ovi stayed pretty healthy for his career hasnt he?

But, no question Matthews is pretty good goal scorer.

I don;t understand how the dashed line for Mathews made that uptick and then sloped down with a different rate than what the solid line shows.

Seems made up

I didnt even look at graph, is wildass guesstimate so pretty meaningless.

So, here is the main point of it.

By age 25, Alex Ovechkin had 269 goals in 396 games.

By age 25, Auston Matthews had 259 goals in 407 games.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don;t understand how the dashed line for Mathews made that uptick and then sloped down with a different rate than what the solid line shows.

Seems made up

Its an average age curve.  Starting where Matthews is and how the average player will progress with age. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Its an average age curve.  Starting where Matthews is and how the average player will progress with age. 

but the data does not support a steady decline with age, as you can tell from Ovechkin's graph

13 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

but the data does not support a steady decline with age, as you can tell from Ovechkin's graph

I expect Ovie is the exception that proves the rule, so to speak ... there are always outliers, positive and negative ... that is how averages/projections work ... it will be several years before we know whether Matthews' career follows the normal decline, he does better or he does worse.  

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I expect Ovie is the exception that proves the rule, so to speak ... there are always outliers, positive and negative ... that is how averages/projections work ... it will be several years before we know whether Matthews' career follows the normal decline, he does better or he does worse.  

but the article is based on the assumption that the data supports de claim that Matthews == Ovie

shady, shady use of stat...

How to Lie with Statistics by Darrell Huff — Reviews, Discussion ...

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It is an average of all players.  Ovechkin is one of the best of all time cause he is well above average.

I dont think you can assume anyone will follow his path.  Its possible but unlikely.

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Thats why its a dotted line.  Its not set in stone.

Does Matthews game remind you of any past high scorers, or who might be a comparable player?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

but the article is based on the assumption that the data supports de claim that Matthews == Ovie

shady, shady use of stat...

Disagree ... The actual stats show Matthews as slightly ahead of Ovie thus far and projects that to continue for a few more years ... he only drops below Ovie later in the projections, based on Ovie having proven to be well above the statistical norm for decline while only the statistical norm can be applied to Matthews at this point.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic