2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

20 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Even more so now that Landeskog is gone for 12 weeks.

Or will MacKinnon talk-up his buddy Drouin to Joe Sakic & Chris MacFarland.
😉 🤞 😜

26 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Or will MacKinnon talk-up his buddy Drouin to Joe Sakic & Chris MacFarland.
😉 🤞 😜

I think that is wishful thinking, Colorado won't panic as Landeskog has been hurt a lot the last 3 years. I would love to be wrong though. 

40 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think that is wishful thinking, Colorado won't panic as Landeskog has been hurt a lot the last 3 years. I would love to be wrong though. 

I agree ... hence the emojis 

Played in 5 of the first 7 games ... TOI 6:14, 6:50, 6:36, 8:42 and 5:51 ... why in the world is Seattle keeping Wright in the NHL.

9 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Played in 5 of the first 7 games ... TOI 6:14, 6:50, 6:36, 8:42 and 5:51 ... why in the world is Seattle keeping Wright in the NHL.

Francis came out and said before the season that their internal plan was that they figured he'd be up all season so they're probably trying to show some patience.  I think they're hoping he's able to force their hand in the next couple of weeks and show that he's ready for regular minutes.  But yes, this isn't ideal usage for a rookie by any stretch. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Francis came out and said before the season that their internal plan was that they figured he'd be up all season so they're probably trying to show some patience.  I think they're hoping he's able to force their hand in the next couple of weeks and show that he's ready for regular minutes.  But yes, this isn't ideal usage for a rookie by any stretch. 

The challenge is that they have some depth at centre ... Wenneberg, Gourde and Geekie ... as well as "the old rookie" (all of 19) Matty Beniers ... the vets aren't stars but Geekie is not a bad young-vet and Beniers is playing full-time (16:09-20:50).

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The challenge is that they have some depth at centre ... Wenneberg, Gourde and Geekie ... as well as "the old rookie" (all of 19) Matty Beniers ... the vets aren't stars but Geekie is not a bad young-vet and Beniers is playing full-time (16:09-20:50).

So send Wright down, FFS. What’s the rush?

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

So send Wright down, FFS. What’s the rush?

FFS ... how is sitting him in 2 of the first 7 games and playing an average of less than 7 minutes per game proper development of a player, regardless of reputation, who played a total of 121 junior games despite getting "exceptional player" early-entry status ... IMO that missing season is VERY important.

Crosby had the same number of games but was DOMINANT (2nd/1st in goals, 1st in assists, 1st in points in those two seasons) ... Connor McDavid, also an "exceptional player", wasn't dominant until his third season (44g, 76a, 120 points despite missing 30% of the season).

As he wasn't drafted by Habs, I have no investment in Wright ... but I don't feel the Kraken are doing him any favors ... Kingston is off to a decent start (currently 3rd in Eastern Conference by pts%) so he would return to a strong circumstance.

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Would Edmundson, given his back issues, be still be valued by other GMs?

https://cheeringthelogo.ca/2022/10/23/depth-on-defense-and-trade-option/

I've had the same thought ... it could take a while IMO, but if he can get back in the next couple of weeks and play well I could see there being interest by late this calendar year.

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Can Monahan get them another 1st rounder?

If he can keep up close to his current pace (27g, 54 pts, 57.8% FOW), as a veteran centre with size he will bring a ton ... even if the scoring drops a bit (i.e., 20/40-ish), if he can keep up the FOW% he would be worth a first IMO ... it all depends on his health (obviously).

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

FFS ... how is sitting him in 2 of the first 7 games and playing an average of less than 7 minutes per game proper development of a player, regardless of reputation, who played a total of 121 junior games despite getting "exceptional player" early-entry status ... IMO that missing season is VERY important.

Crosby had the same number of games but was DOMINANT (2nd/1st in goals, 1st in assists, 1st in points in those two seasons) ... Connor McDavid, also an "exceptional player", wasn't dominant until his third season (44g, 76a, 120 points despite missing 30% of the season).

As he wasn't drafted by Habs, I have no investment in Wright ... but I don't feel the Kraken are doing him any favors ... Kingston is off to a decent start (currently 3rd in Eastern Conference by pts%) so he would return to a strong circumstance.

I mean - yes. We’re in total agreement.

I don’t like the practice of throwing guys into the NHL roster just because they’re high picks. And then to have them in the bottom-6 getting modest ice time? What earthly good does it do? Send them down, let them marinade properly, bring them up when they’re kicking down the door instead of having the GM hold their coat.

That would be my default practice if I were running a club, anyway.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I mean - yes. We’re in total agreement ...

Apologies for the tone ... I read your post as what's the rush to send him down.

49 minutes ago, DON said:

Can Monahan get them another 1st rounder?

I didnt think Chiarot would neither.

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/10/24/monahan-key-to-montreal-canadiens-reaching-2023-nhl-draft-goal/

I tried to find comparables to Monahan, to see how much he could get on his next contract. I mentioned Kadri before, I was thinking of Evander Kane, my mistake.

J.T Miller or Jake Guentzel also come to mind. Kevin Hayes is an example of a bad contract.

If Monahan is healthy and continues to play well, he will get at least the same as Dadonov is getting now, probably above $5.5M for a longer contract and $6M for a shorter contract.

I think the smart move is to trade him at the trade deadline.

image.png

33 minutes ago, DON said:

Thanks for sharing, this draft seems to have a few quality goalie prospects:

Reg |PTW| Last Name    | 1stName |     Team        | League |    Ht       | Wt   | Pos  |S/C | COL

NA  |   A   | BJARNASON| CARSON  | BRANDON | WHL      | 6' 3.0"  | 186 |   G    |   L  |

NA  |   A   | HRABAL        | MICHAEL | OMAHA     | USHL    | 6' 6.25"| 209 |   G    |   L  | MAS (2024)

NA  |   B   | AUGUSTINE | TREY        | USA U-18  | NTDP    | 6' 1.0"   | 183 |   G    |    L | MSU (2023)

NA  |   B   | MUSSER       | CARSEN   | USA U-18  | NTDP    | 6' 4.0"  | 215 |   G    |    L |

NA  |   B   | RATZLAFF    | SCOTT     | SEATTLE   | WHL      | 6' 0.5"   | 175 |   G    |    L |

4 hours ago, DON said:

Would Edmundson, given his back issues, be still be valued by other GMs?

https://cheeringthelogo.ca/2022/10/23/depth-on-defense-and-trade-option/

I’d move him without thinking twice about it. Again, he is not going to be part of the future, and won’t really make as much better than we are today.

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Two goalies picked in the first round? That would definitely be unusual ...

no, one in the first and one in the second round if the Habs have extra picks. ( think they will have a bunch of draft picks)

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I tried to find comparables to Monahan, to see how much he could get on his next contract. I mentioned Kadri before, I was thinking of Evander Kane, my mistake.

J.T Miller or Jake Guentzel also come to mind. Kevin Hayes is an example of a bad contract.

If Monahan is healthy and continues to play well, he will get at least the same as Dadonov is getting now, probably above $5.5M for a longer contract and $6M for a shorter contract.

I think the smart move is to trade him at the trade deadline.

image.png

Kane is a special case - didn’t  he also get money from SJ as part of his settlement? He also gets to play with Mcdavid and Draisaitl.

JT Miller just resigned an extension at $8m a year.

Landeskog could have gotten more, but took less to stay in Colorado.

Guentzel signed his deal when he was 25 in a front loaded contract.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d move him without thinking twice about it. Again, he is not going to be part of the future, and won’t really make as much better than we are today.

I would think twice about it. I like Edmundson, and he would be a great partner for Barron once he is recalled.

But for the right return, I would trade him: a high 1st, lottery pick. 4th-10th? Or a solid goalie prospect

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If he can keep up close to his current pace (27g, 54 pts, 57.8% FOW), as a veteran centre with size he will bring a ton ... even if the scoring drops a bit (i.e., 20/40-ish), if he can keep up the FOW% he would be worth a first IMO ... it all depends on his health (obviously).

That would be crazy good asset management if they could get another 1st round pick. Two 1st round picks for taking on Monahan for 3/4 of a year?  Hard to beat that. 

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would think twice about it. I like Edmundson, and he would be a great partner for Barron once he is recalled.

But for the right return, I would trade him: a high 1st, lottery pick. 4th-10th? Or a solid goalie prospect

We aren’t getting a high lottery pick for him - teams that would want him would be contenders. I’d still take the pick though - prefer another chance at getting more Beck/Guhle type prospects.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic