2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

when does the forum you think the Habs may unload a couple of the extra wingers?

MB has a philosophy of giving the players a chance to play if not her somewhere else. He was a players-gm in that way.

I do not know what Hugh-Gort believes, it seem she likes hoarding which is needed right now to up the quality of the pipeline

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

We have too many wingers on this roster as is, and guys who deserve a shot before him like RHP, Ylonen, sitting in Laval. I don't see what he adds at this point to be honest. And who do you waive to make the room?

Assuming Slafkovsky is the eventual casualty when Armia returns, then waiving Pezzetta is all that would technically need to be done to fit in Bellows or another forward.  I'm not advocating for a claim but there's a way to make it happen if they wanted to.

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

when does the forum you think the Habs may unload a couple of the extra wingers?

MB has a philosophy of giving the players a chance to play if not her somewhere else. He was a players-gm in that way.

The trade deadline is in March so I'll say March for when the surplus might get offloaded.  It's one thing to try to be nice to a player to try to find them a home but with so many teams right against the cap, there aren't a lot of teams that can afford to take on a change of scenery type of player.  And for those that can, do they want to take on a high-priced winger this early in the season?  Probably not.  (I'm assuming you're asking about players like Hoffman, Dadonov, and Drouin.)

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The trade deadline is in March so I'll say March for when the surplus might get offloaded.  It's one thing to try to be nice to a player to try to find them a home but with so many teams right against the cap, there aren't a lot of teams that can afford to take on a change of scenery type of player.  And for those that can, do they want to take on a high-priced winger this early in the season?  Probably not.  (I'm assuming you're asking about players like Hoffman, Dadonov, and Drouin.)

mole like Ylonen, Pezzetta and the like. Young-ish players that are far behind on the depth chart and that do not seem to be in their future

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

mole like Ylonen, Pezzetta and the like. Young-ish players that are far behind on the depth chart and that do not seem to be in their future

Okay.  Ylonen won't be until the trade deadline at the earliest as he's still one of the top recall options and it stands to reason that they'll want to get another look at him at some point.  Plus, they'd like to win some games in Laval and he's one of their only offensive-minded forwards.

With Pezzetta, I don't know if that's going to be a trade as I don't think he has much value.  He's a 13th forward or lower for a lot of teams so why would they trade for him?  He has more value after clearing waivers than he does now; it's just a matter of whether or not he'd clear in the first place.  

I think Teasdale is probably the next one they'd like to move but that's going to be like Hillis, getting a minor leaguer back.

I don't sense that there's a winger logjam on the prospect side as most of Laval's wingers are journeymen or prospects that aren't going to make it.  Beyond Ylonen and Harvey-Pinard (who they're not going to move and keeping him in Laval doesn't hurt), there's not a whole lot there.  Most of the good winger prospects are elsewhere this season.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, @dlbalr.

I took a look at different sites that list the Habs depth chart. This one is interesting, and to your point of who may be next man up:

https://sportsforecaster.com/nhl/depth-chart/l.nhl.com-t.13/Montreal_Canadiens

image.png

On 10/26/2022 at 11:04 AM, Commandant said:

Ironman is playing consecutive games without being injured. He fits the criteria and has been a far better player at this end of his streak than either Yandle or Jarvis were. 

When Jarvis streak ended, he wasn't an NHL player anymore. He would soon find himself out of the league. Same with Yandle.  Their streaks kinda went on cause they were forced to, when coaches wanted to make them healthy scratches. 

At least Kessel is still producing.

Agree with everything you’ve said. In my mind when I see the term Ironman, I think of a someone who looks like they are actually going to compete in the Hawaii Ironman competition, and not in a hot dog eating competition. All jokes aside, the habs could have used a guy like him. I was very happy the leafs, paid part of his salary when he won his cups with the penguins. I also though he should have gotten the Conn smythe over Crosby one of those years. 

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Thanks, @dlbalr.

I took a look at different sites that list the Habs depth chart. This one is interesting, and to your point of who may be next man up:

We can safely rule Teasdale off the recall list.  He has been a healthy scratch more than he has played this season.  Next on the recall list after Harvey-Pinard and Ylonen will be Stephens, Richard, and Belzile (not necessarily in that order).

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

We can safely rule Teasdale off the recall list.  He has been a healthy scratch more than he has played this season.  Next on the recall list after Harvey-Pinard and Ylonen will be Stephens, Richard, and Belzile (not necessarily in that order).

Injuries really detailed Teasdale. He was so much fun to watch during his Memorial cup run. Thought he'd be an awesome 4th liner.

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

Injuries really detailed Teasdale. He was so much fun to watch during his Memorial cup run. Thought he'd be an awesome 4th liner.

So did I - he looked like a lock to me.  Those knee issues appear to have just slowed him down too much unfortunately.

Canucks win!! Canucks win!! Canucks win!!! 

😄

I mean, they got massively outshot by an expansion team and managed to get 4 goals on 18 shots, but  hey, they are now 1-8!!! The sky’s the limit, baby.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DON said:

He must use Pezzetta's tailor.

I tell you, if I had their money, I actually would have a tailor - and I’d dress a lot less tackily than most of these punks. 

Now back to your regularly scheduled (non-sartorial) programming.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-canadiens-gamble-on-risks-having-long-term-rewards

“I think it comes with experience and how important it is to calculate the risk that you’re taking,” St. Louis said last week. “You can’t just take risk. It’s got to be calculated why you’re taking this risk right now. It’s not necessarily risks … but I think every player should have a little calculated risk and I think Jordan’s managing that right now. With him and Guhls, they’re able to support the offence but also get back pretty quick if it doesn’t work out.”

Guhls eh, right up there with Suzy?

6 minutes ago, DON said:

... Guhls eh, right up there with Suzy?

At least there is WiFi

WiFi has a fan who understands what Arber brings to the game

Lyle Odelein

12 hours ago, DON said:

This season is really starting out awesome.:clap:

I think there is a strong chance that Mathews leaves for Arizona in 1.75 seasons. 

The Leafs should genuinely go all in and burn picks and prospects to win now. 

If not then the leafs should trade Mathews IMO and take the haul to retool. 

If the losing streak grows long then I bet leafs fire Keefe and when that doesn’t help then Dubas gets canned too. 

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think there is a strong chance that Mathews leaves for Arizona in 1.75 seasons. 

The Leafs should genuinely go all in and burn picks and prospects to win now. 

If not then the leafs should trade Mathews IMO and take the haul to retool. 

If the losing streak grows long then I bet leafs fire Keefe and when that doesn’t help then Dubas gets canned too. 

I think most aware Leafs realized October was a bad month for the team schedule wise and just wanted to go .500 this month... I'm sure they will be fine. Even if I enjoy them losing 😛

3 hours ago, Plutarch said:

I think most aware Leafs realized October was a bad month for the team schedule wise and just wanted to go .500 this month... I'm sure they will be fine. Even if I enjoy them losing 😛

There goaltending is suspect... there D is terrible and with NO depth.

There bottom 6 is really not anything to write home about...

There top 6 is one of the best in the league if not tops in the league...

There coaching is proving to be suspect as well

Without a high octane O and lethal PP they will struggle.

PLAYOFFS Prove this

NO POWERPLAY NO PARTY for TO

56 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

There goaltending is suspect... there D is terrible and with NO depth.

There bottom 6 is really not anything to write home about...

There top 6 is one of the best I  the league if not tops...

There coaching is proving to be suspect as well

Without a high octane off and lethal PP they will struggle.

PLAYOFFS Prove this

NO POWERPLAY NO PARTY

Yeah the leafs are a hollow team with all their eggs in five players. 

Riely is a legit Dman but that’s it, especially with Muzzin hurt (he is like Savard so useful). 

To win the cup IMO the leafs need a #1 Dman with outstanding puck moving skills, a better winger to play with Mathews and a big, fast centre for their third line. 

It would cost them everything; picks, prospects and leave the cupboards bare but I think they could make it happen. Can’t think of that kind of Dman off the top of my head but Monahan and Dubois would help the leafs a lot and surely both are available. 

Dubois knows that he is likely to not receive a contract offer if leafs bail first round again. 

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It would cost them everything; picks, prospects and leave the cupboards bare but I think they could make it happen. Can’t think of that kind of Dman off the top of my head n. 

Chychrun?

• tomh009 unpinned this topic