2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

12 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I would love to see what Trotz would do with the leafs. Would he abandon the high octane offence and go for the defence first system or a trap system?

leafs are surely going to lose Mathews and I’m hoping that leads to a rebuild and decades of continuing obscurity 

Trotzs likes heavy, big, defense first players and teams. He is a Brian Burke coach not Kyle Dubas. Yes, I know he had success in Washington but they were,  and are, a much heavier team than TO. Would he be able to pivot his style to work with a team that is the antithesis of what he prefers? Maybe, or maybe the rumour is true that he’s looking to move up to GM after his next coaching gig. In either case, hiring him would probably not bode well for Dubas. 

Xhekaj bit

https://theathletic.com/3758285/2022/11/03/canadiens-arber-xhekaj/

“I asked the coaches, because I had a feeling they were going to send me home after that, because it wasn’t a great game,” Xhekaj said. “I don’t know if they liked what they saw, but I asked them for another game. I said, ‘I have more and I need one more game to show you guys.’

“There’s nothing to lose with asking them. If they say no, then whatever. If they say yeah, then maybe you’ve got another chance. And they gave me another game. And obviously that was my best game of camp and then I got a contract after that.”

31 minutes ago, DON said:

Xhekaj bit

https://theathletic.com/3758285/2022/11/03/canadiens-arber-xhekaj/

“I asked the coaches, because I had a feeling they were going to send me home after that, because it wasn’t a great game,” Xhekaj said. “I don’t know if they liked what they saw, but I asked them for another game. I said, ‘I have more and I need one more game to show you guys.’

“There’s nothing to lose with asking them. If they say no, then whatever. If they say yeah, then maybe you’ve got another chance. And they gave me another game. And obviously that was my best game of camp and then I got a contract after that.”

Ducharme, that bum!

This would make the Sens my second favorite team in the NHL:

27 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

This would make the Sens my second favorite team in the NHL:

I'm a big RR fan ... but he will need *** REAL *** money backing him up ... but he would be a great frontman ... and something to do with the Sens would then somehow make it into Deadpool 3.

32 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

This would make Ottawa my 29th favourite team, up from 30th. 

I watched the Wrexham reality TV series and it was fun, I would love to see his French translator (a messed up situation with the Sens french speaking fan base):

36 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

They were talking about this on TSN and they pointed out that Raynolds net worth is around 150 million and the Sens are worth a Billion. 

Maybe a coalition ownership 

Plus another billion for the new arena downtown, some of which might be covered by other development on the designated parcel of land.

14 minutes ago, DON said:

Relocate to Toronto, Quebec, or Houston?

The crawling pieces of gutter filth know as the Nordiques are fortunately dead and can remain a rotting corpse of a memory as far as I’m concerned.

Toronto, haha, not gonna happen.

Houston, Kansas City, whatever. Anything would be an improvement on that pain in the ass franchise.

20 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I watched the Wrexham reality TV series and it was fun, I would love to see his French translator (a messed up situation with the Sens french speaking fan base):

News article making the link to Wrexham:

https://ottawa.citynews.ca/local-news/is-ryan-reynolds-wrexham-fc-ownership-a-pre-cursor-for-the-senators-6052323

an his Ottawa Public Health announcement to get tested for COVID. He has a connection to the city:

Wrexham was a non-league team (think 6th division), its the equivalent of buying a franchise in a league lower than the ECHL.  It's nowhere comparable in terms of the money needed to buy the Senators.  Ryan Reynolds would be a very small minority owner in any Senators ownership group.  He could be a frontman, but he wouldn't have the real power or money in any group. 

33 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Wrexham was a non-league team (think 6th division), its the equivalent of buying a franchise in a league lower than the ECHL.  It's nowhere comparable in terms of the money needed to buy the Senators.  Ryan Reynolds would be a very small minority owner in any Senators ownership group.  He could be a frontman, but he wouldn't have the real power or money in any group. 

let me dream a little, man. It is really boring in the capital. RR would make it bearable to "the city that fun forgot"

Sometimes I wonder if Leafs media are in touch with reality.  Before the season started they proposed the idea of Kane going to the Leafs for almost nothing and Chicago retaining 50% of Kane’s salary.

Kevin McGran of the Toronto Star thinks this is even a possibility for Erik Karlsson. And I quote, “if the Sharks could retain half ... and take someone back making around $5.685 million, and a sweetener or two.”

What would the sweetener have to be, Matthews?  The Sharks retaining 50% of an $11.5m contract for 5 years is worth at least a few 1st round draft picks or top prospects.

9 minutes ago, DON said:

2 games seems about right.

Excellent explanation

13 hours ago, DON said:

2 games seems about right.

Unless Dadonov is truly quite sick, this (I believe) gives Hughes a couple of games to figure out the roster consequences of Edmundson's return

• tomh009 unpinned this topic