2022-23 Laval Rocket Discussion Thread

tomh009

26 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Mysak is stuck on the fourth line ... it looks like he may struggle to reach the ceiling we originally thought he had.

patience, grasshopper, patience

🦗 🦗 🦗 🦗

22 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Mysak is stuck on the fourth line ... it looks like he may struggle to reach the ceiling we originally thought he had.

Don't read anything into being on the fourth line as a sign of him struggling at this point.  Guys that are 2nd liners in junior as he was are typically on the edges of the roster in their first professional seasons and Mysak is a bit of a project player to begin with.  There will be a balancing act of what's best for him (he might get some ECHL time to play bigger minutes) but I don't think him being on the fourth line is any reason for concern this early in the season.  He's holding down a regular spot in the lineup at a time when the team is carrying 16 healthy forwards so he's doing something right.  

This kid has GUTS

5'6" 183lber, is a stocky fella and seemed a pretty darn smart player in junior, but we shall see if can he handle pro sized opponents and be productive?

Seems pretty young d-core in Laval also, nice.

Last Game’s Lines:

Harvey-Pinard – Gignac – Simoneau
Richard – Stephens – Ylonen
Bourque – Mysak – Belzile
Condotta – Abbandonato – Martel

Schueneman – Barron
Trudeau – Bowey
Norlinder – Leskinen

The Week Ahea

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see Ylonen, Simoneau, Barron and Harvey-Pinard in the Rocket top 10

Would love to see Slafkovsky and Harris join the club to provide a boost in talent

image.png

Pitlick was sent back to Laval today.  While many think this is due to Matheson's impending return, it's also possible that they're just playing him tonight in Laval to keep him fresh and that he'll be brought back up as the 13th forward tomorrow.  That's what I'd be doing if I were them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DON said:

LAVAL ROCKET SHOOTOUT
#    Skater                    Goal?
90    Anthony Richard    No
32    Rem Pitlick    Yes
81    Xavier Simoneau    No
11    Rafaël Harvey-Pinard    No
26    Jesse Ylönen    No
18    Danick Martel    Yes
98    Peter Abbandonato    No
37    Brandon Gignac   Yes

I do not understand why the Habs are keeping rookies at the NHL level when their AHL club is is dire need of talent. Do they trust the coaching staff in Laval?

Are they hoarders?

41 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not understand why the Habs are keeping rookies at the NHL level when their AHL club is is dire need of talent. Do they trust the coaching staff in Laval?

Are they hoarders?

It's forwards that they have a shortage of.  There are two waiver-exempt forwards in Montreal, Slafkovsky and Caufield.  Considering Montreal only has 12 healthy forwards at the moment, there's not much they can do there.

Tonight's situation with the D notwithstanding, they've basically been carrying nine healthy d-men the last couple of weeks down there which has has them rotating most of their back end for weeks now.  Adding another d-man makes a tough situation down there even worse.  I wrote about that a bit back on Monday: https://www.habsworld.net/2022/11/rocket-weekly-a-bit-of-home-success/

33 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's forwards that they have a shortage of.  There are two waiver-exempt forwards in Montreal, Slafkovsky and Caufield.  Considering Montreal only has 12 healthy forwards at the moment, there's not much they can do there.

Tonight's situation with the D notwithstanding, they've basically been carrying nine healthy d-men the last couple of weeks down there which has has them rotating most of their back end for weeks now.  Adding another d-man makes a tough situation down there even worse.  I wrote about that a bit back on Monday: https://www.habsworld.net/2022/11/rocket-weekly-a-bit-of-home-success/

I missed that article, good summary.

Hoarding is what comes to mind, Habs seem to be holding on to players and not making a decision based on performance but on development of a handful of prospects.

I much rather see them trade the surplus players for late picks or Ds for Fs. 

It is like they are saving some of these extra players until a trade can be worked out with depth players being bundled.

my $0.02

• tomh009 unpinned this topic