2022-23 Laval Rocket Discussion Thread

tomh009

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

This just keeps getting worse...

[...]

From nine healthy d-men to six in the matter of about 28 hours.  Knowing that Bowey and Barron were both hurt, why in the world did they trade Green now?  Why not wait until the others are healthy?

isn't this like three AHL trades for future considerations?

this is my criticism of Hugh-Gort that I think is really warranted: I do not like how Laval roster decisions have been made all season.

26 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Possibly because that is all the players are worth

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

this is my criticism of Hugh-Gort that I think is really warranted: I do not like how Laval roster decisions have been made all season.

It's not all that often that AHL players are moved in player for player swaps.  They happen from time to time but more often than not, it's future considerations coming the other way as one team grants a players' wish to move somewhere with an opportunity for more playing time.  Teams often make those moves to fill a specific hole and don't necessarily have surplus depth at another position that they can move.  The old management team made one of these last season, handing Jake Lucchini to Belleville for nothing.  Lucchini went on to lead the Sens in scoring (or at least had the lead for most of the year).

I agree that it feels like Laval has been left for dead to an extent with some decisions that don't make a ton of sense.  It's clearly not a focus for them this season as most of their top prospects are playing elsewhere.  Honestly, this feels like a situation where they're going to just roll with what they have this season and then bring in a new coaching staff that's a younger group and shift more towards development with what should be a much less experienced roster next season.

10 hours ago, dlbalr said:

With Poulin having a rough night yesterday, I wonder if we'll see Vrbetic make his AHL debut tonight.

And the answer is...nope. 

Meanwhile, with Mysak and Martel both injured, Barron is returning at less than 100% to allow them to dress a full lineup.  Ouch.

Defenseman Justin Barron (lower body) is day-to-day.

Forward Nate Schnarr (lower body) will return to play after Christmas.

Goaltender Cayden Primeau and forward Danick Martel are still not practicing with the team.

Forward Jan Mysak and defender Madison Bowey will have further evaluation with team medical personnel over the next few days.

Does this speak to Primeau's injury (i.e., how long Vrbetic will be with the Rocket)?   
Or just a disposable band-aid? 
Or both?

I always enjoy reading what Anthony Marcotte has to say about the Rocket. He is pointing out here the lack of defensive Ds in Laval, and the great season Richard is having:

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I always enjoy reading what Anthony Marcotte has to say about the Rocket. He is pointing out here the lack of defensive Ds in Laval, and the great season Richard is having:

I suspect that's by design.  This management group is more about wanting mobility and offensive skills from their defencemen so that's what they opted to add instead of keeping more reliable defensive defenders like Belpedio and Paquette-Bisson. 

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I suspect that's by design.  This management group is more about wanting mobility and offensive skills from their defencemen so that's what they opted to add instead of keeping more reliable defensive defenders like Belpedio and Paquette-Bisson. 

the article was referring to injuries and the type of Ds in Laval that seem to be mobile offensive-minded but not reliable on the defensive zone.

It did not mention the off season or management decisions.

I believe that management thought too highly of Bowey and Green

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I believe that management thought too highly of Bowey and Green

Are you sure about Green or did you mean someone else?  Green only played five games and actually is a bit more of a defensive defenceman. 

By the way, Laval played in Utica and won last night with Anthony Richard having a four-point game.  At some point, they have to call him up already. :1banana:

https://theahl.com/stats/game-center/1024252

32 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Are you sure about Green or did you mean someone else?  Green only played five games and actually is a bit more of a defensive defenceman. 

By the way, Laval played in Utica and won last night with Anthony Richard having a four-point game.  At some point, they have to call him up already. :1banana:

https://theahl.com/stats/game-center/1024252

yes Green,

if I remember correctly this summer he was hailed as an experiences AHL D expected to be a regular in Laval.

that is why I assume the professional scouting on them was overly optimistic

Green and Bowey are just place holders though. 

The AHL is primarily about development, not winning games. 

You have a bunch of young defencemen in the system.  Better to let them play big minutes and learn, than say bring in a 26 or 27 year old career AHLer who is going to play 25 minutes a game. If you take some losses along the way.  So be it. 

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

yes Green,

if I remember correctly this summer he was hailed as an experiences AHL D expected to be a regular in Laval.

that is why I assume the professional scouting on them was overly optimistic

I don't think anyone was calling him experienced considering he had played all of 99 career AHL games before this season.  He wasn't supposed to be a regular in Laval.  He was a depth guy who had the exact role he was supposed to have.  Granted, they weren't expecting to be trading for Nicolas Beaudin in-season which pushed him a rung lower on the depth chart than expected.  Eventually, they did him a favour and traded him (where he got hurt in his first game with Chicago).

In the end, a depth defenceman that was signed to be a depth defenceman and had the role of a depth defenceman is somehow a scouting failure?  I'm not seeing that.

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think anyone was calling him experienced considering he had played all of 99 career AHL games before this season.  He wasn't supposed to be a regular in Laval.  He was a depth guy who had the exact role he was supposed to have.  Granted, they weren't expecting to be trading for Nicolas Beaudin in-season which pushed him a rung lower on the depth chart than expected.  Eventually, they did him a favour and traded him (where he got hurt in his first game with Chicago).

In the end, a depth defenceman that was signed to be a depth defenceman and had the role of a depth defenceman is somehow a scouting failure?  I'm not seeing that.

ok, point taken

up 4-3 mid 2nd period

https://theahl.com/stats/game-center/1024269

GO Barron!

SCORING
1st
3:34 Laval Rocket
Jesse Ylönen

4:28 Cleveland Monsters
Emil Bemstrom
(PP)
5:29 Laval Rocket