2022-23 Laval Rocket Discussion Thread

tomh009

File this one under the makes no sense category:

Barron's hurt, Leskinen's hurt, Bowey's hurt, and Green is gone.  Now, let's let another defenceman go for a week and a half when they can barely ice six competent blueliners right now with Beaudin in the lineup.  Oh, and the Habs are carrying just six healthy defencemen and will need to call someone up if any of their other blueliners get injured.  Let's add this to the 'asking for trouble' category that a lot of their roster decisions lately have fallen under.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Barron's hurt, Leskinen's hurt, Bowey's hurt, and Green is gone.  Now, let's let another defenceman go for a week and a half when they can barely ice six competent blueliners right now with Beaudin in the lineup.  Oh, and the Habs are carrying just six healthy defencemen and will need to call someone up if any of their other blueliners get injured.  Let's add this to the 'asking for trouble' category that a lot of their roster decisions lately have fallen under.

I continue to believe that the AHL team has been mismanaged since the end of last season. For a team that is supposed to focus on development, they are hoarding prospects at the NHL level and handicapping the farm team :flaming:

53 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I continue to believe that the AHL team has been mismanaged since the end of last season. For a team that is supposed to focus on development, they are hoarding prospects at the NHL level and handicapping the farm team :flaming:

I'm not that concerned with the prospect hoarding - while I'd like to see Slafkovsky down there, the defencemen are doing a good job most nights.  If they were to send one of them down, it'd probably be another prospect coming up.

But the mismanagement, yes, there's something to that (unless they're under strict orders to pinch pennies which is about the only reason I can think of as to why a team would willingly go on the road carrying virtually no spares).  It feels like Laval is being treated as an afterthought and while there aren't a lot of notable prospects, they should want to put the ones they have in a situation where they have a chance to succeed.

• Upvote 1

https://www.rocketlaval.com/en/communique-en/medical-update-dec-28-bowey-mysak-martel-leskinen-primeau-gignac-schnarr-and-simoneau/

rocket injury update

Forwards Xavier Simoneau (upper-body) and Nate Schnarr (lower-body) are expected to start practicing with the team this week.

Goaltender Cayden Primeau (upper-body) is expected to start skating this week.

Forward Danick Martel (upper-body) is still not practicing with the team.

Forward Jan Mysak (lower-body) continues his rehabilitation.

Defenseman Otto Leskinen (lower-body) will be out for 4 to 6 weeks.

Defenseman Madison Bowey (upper-body) is out indefinitely.

Forward Brandon Gignac (lower-body) will need further medical evaluation.

5 hours ago, DON said:

https://www.rocketlaval.com/en/communique-en/medical-update-dec-28-bowey-mysak-martel-leskinen-primeau-gignac-schnarr-and-simoneau/

rocket injury update

Forwards Xavier Simoneau (upper-body) and Nate Schnarr (lower-body) are expected to start practicing with the team this week.

Goaltender Cayden Primeau (upper-body) is expected to start skating this week.

Forward Danick Martel (upper-body) is still not practicing with the team.

Forward Jan Mysak (lower-body) continues his rehabilitation.

Defenseman Otto Leskinen (lower-body) will be out for 4 to 6 weeks.

Defenseman Madison Bowey (upper-body) is out indefinitely.

Forward Brandon Gignac (lower-body) will need further medical evaluation.

Thanks for sharing, I also saw it reported here:

On 12/22/2022 at 4:44 PM, dlbalr said:

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Dello is out, injured. Rocket is still leading mid-way I the 3rd. From the bits and pieces I’ve seen: Harvey-Pinard, Ylonen and Teasdale have been alright.

And there it is

12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I like Belzile, he is centering the top line and I still believe he would be just fine centering the Habs 4th

He's as much of a centre as Pitlick is or Drouin with the Habs.  Belzile is not remotely close to being a full-time NHL-calibre player.  Barring a bunch of injuries, he has no business being up with the big club this season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

He's as much of a centre as Pitlick is or Drouin with the Habs.  Belzile is not remotely close to being a full-time NHL-calibre player.  Barring a bunch of injuries, he has no business being up with the big club this season.

you keep reminding me of that. I just hope that later this year, after they trade Monahan, they bring him up on a lost season for “services rendered”

He is a better center than Dach, would play with more heart than half the forward with the Habs right now, and will win more board battles than light weights like Pitlick

I still 💌 Belzile like I 💌Pezzetta

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

you keep reminding me of that. I just hope that later this year, after they trade Monahan, they bring him up on a lost season for “services rendered”

He is a better center than Dach, would play with more heart than half the forward with the Habs right now, and will win more board battles than light weights like Pitlick

Services rendered?  Wouldn't it make more sense for them to bring up an actual prospect for development rather than play an older guy out of position? 

How is he a better centre than Dach?  Yes, he's better at faceoffs.  But there are defencemen who are probably better on the draw than Dach so that can't be the only reason.  What other element(s) do you see that make you feel that way?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Services rendered?  Wouldn't it make more sense for them to bring up an actual prospect for development rather than play an older guy out of position? 

How is he a better centre than Dach?  Yes, he's better at faceoffs.  But there are defencemen who are probably better on the draw than Dach so that can't be the only reason.  What other element(s) do you see that make you feel that way?

We are talking about a 4th liner that would play less than 10min , right?

Why bring up a prospect for that?

I figured we should just call a filler from early March to finish the season. Calling up the captain for services rendered is what I would do

31 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

We are talking about a 4th liner that would play less than 10min , right?

Why bring up a prospect for that?

I figured we should just call a filler from early March to finish the season. Calling up the captain for services rendered is what I would do

For someone like Harvey-Pinard, he's probably only going to be a fourth liner in the NHL.  I'd rather him get a six-week tryout in that role to assess his readiness for that role next season.  How about trying someone like Lucas Condotta, a natural centre, who has outscored Belzile (goals, not points) this season?  He's somewhat of an actual prospect but they need to see what they have in him.  Jesse Ylonen isn't a great fourth liner but he's waiver-eligible next year and an extended NHL look would be nice.  Put him on the third line and drop someone else to the fourth. 

The discussion is largely moot anyway.  It's a safe bet that Pitlick will be brought up post-deadline and there's a good chance they'll take a veteran player or two back to offset money in trades so there might not be another spot open for a forward.

For me, the fact that Belzile is on an NHL contract is more than enough of a reward.  Few teams give 31-year-old career minor leaguers NHL deals so they don't owe him anything more.

But, if I just fold and agree with you despite wishing for Belzile to be called up… what would this forum become?

Hugh-Gort will probably do what you are saying. Condotta would probably not score on a reduced role at the NHL level and Lavalagher and Ylo are not centers 

I was just saying…

• tomh009 unpinned this topic