2022-23 Laval Rocket Discussion Thread

tomh009

Would Belzile score on the fourth line?  Probably not so the lack of offence from Condotta doesn't matter.  Condotta at least brings decent skating and physicality, elements that a fourth line can use.  I'm still unsure what qualities you think Belzile can bring.

Who says the post-Monahan recall has to be a centre?  They still have Suzuki, Dvorak, and Evans.  There's three.  They're still going to have Pitlick and Drouin who St. Louis, for better or for worse, has used as centres.  For six weeks down the stretch, they don't have to have another centre.  Especially a centre that isn't a centre and has less NHL experience as a centre despite being older than the other two non-centres that they could use as a centre.  If you want Belzile up, that's one thing.  But don't make the argument about him being a better option down the middle.  He isn't.  Winning a few faceoffs in the minors doesn't qualify a career winger to be a centre in the NHL. 

What's better for the Habs?  Belzile centring the fourth line with Harvey-Pinard or Ylonen in the minors or Drouin centring the fourth line and one of Harvey-Pinard or Ylonen with the Canadiens?  Developmentally speaking, the latter is much better for the organization.

• Upvote 1

Best wishes to all in 2023. I have managed to make most people mad in 2022

I hope the Habs have a fire sale  at the deadline and that they call place holders not really needed for a valse cup drive in Laval.

Because I still hope for something g positive for the AHL team

But, you know I know manure, compost and shit about hockey :spamafote:

Ahhh, Alfredo, please don't be so sensitive. This is an Internet forum, and we're talking about a topic that we're all passionate about, so discussion can get heated sometimes without anyone intending any offence.

Well, I am stuck at Pearson until 5am or 6am when they open US customs to let me board my next flight 

So, I am not on my cheeriest disposition 

Defencemen dropping like flies up and down the organization ... dipping onto the ECHL

Only Schueneman and Norlinder remain from Ds at beginning of the season: injuries piling up in Laval with no management interest in helping as far as it has been reported!

we used to complaint when the Hamilton Bulldogs were mismanaged to they point the Habs were booted out. It seems odd that an organization that said would focus on development has abandoned their farm team.

Just saying...

48 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Only Schueneman and Norlinder remain from Ds at beginning of the season: injuries piling up in Laval with no management interest in helping as far as it has been reported!

Help how?
They are not going to trade for players with NHL contracts just to play in Laval ... they only have 4 contract slots available ... short of sending down Harris, WiFi or Kovacevic, the most they could do right now likely would be to send down Barron and call up whichever of Norlinder, Trudeau or Schueneman is playing the least to be the 7D with the Habs ... which would not be good for the call-up but might reinforce The Rocket.

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

we used to complaint when the Hamilton Bulldogs were mismanaged to they point the Habs were booted out. It seems odd that an organization that said would focus on development has abandoned their farm team.

Just saying...

I-M-O they don't really have any players in Laval that will ever be anything more than marginal NHLers (10-11-12-13 forwards line, 6-7 D) ... and at this point I am including Barron ... earlier this morning on TSN Marc Denis (I believe) said that JB was the 1D in Laval by default and that while he has put up some good offensive numbers, he can't really handle the physicality of defence in the AHL, let alone the NHL ... I will start to "worry about" Laval's development success when they have some legit prospects in the AHL that aren't progressing.

I wouldn't quite write off Barron, Norlinder or Ylonen yet. But especially the defensive corps is thin in Laval because the Habs needed four-plus of the rookie defencemen. In another situation, Harris and Xhekaj would probably have started their seasons in Laval.

And, as I recall, Kovacevic is not waivers-exempt so he will not be sent down.

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Just saying...

I complained that the team was being coached by someone who wasn't developping prospects properly

I dont' give a shit if the AHL team wins or loses, its all about development.  

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Help how?
They are not going to trade for players with NHL contracts just to play in Laval ... they only have 4 contract slots available ... short of sending down Harris, WiFi or Kovacevic, the most they could do right now likely would be to send down Barron and call up whichever of Norlinder, Trudeau or Schueneman is playing the least to be the 7D with the Habs ... which would not be good for the call-up but might reinforce The Rocket.

Well, not all bad, that player would be making about $10K per game for being on the NHL roster, rather than $1K. So there is that. :)

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I-M-O they don't really have any players in Laval that will ever be anything more than marginal NHLers (10-11-12-13 forwards line, 6-7 D) ... and at this point I am including Barron ... earlier this morning on TSN Marc Denis (I believe) said that JB was the 1D in Laval by default and that while he has put up some good offensive numbers, he can't really handle the physicality of defence in the AHL, let alone the NHL ... I will start to "worry about" Laval's development success when they have some legit prospects in the AHL that aren't progressing.

He's 21.  If the issue is handling physicality, he certainly has time to bulk up. 

I'd be more worried if it was a skill issue. 

Just now, Commandant said:

He's 21.  If the issue is handling physicality, he certainly has time to bulk up. 

I hope he does ... just not setting expectations very high.

49 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He is 21 and hasn't played a lot of hockey over the past few years.

18 - 19-20 in q 34/62 due to blood clot issues (no skating BC blades + blood thinners are no bueno... not sure on working out)

19 - 20-21 mainly in q 40 games total due to pandemic.

20 - 21-22 mainly in ahl only 48 games and an April ankle injury which probably impacted his offseason.

He will need more time to season. Great skater, offensive upside, solid frame to put weight on. He should be fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Plutarch said:

He is 21 and hasn't played a lot of hockey over the past few years.

18 - 19-20 in q 34/62 due to blood clot issues (no skating BC blades + blood thinners are no bueno... not sure on working out)

19 - 20-21 mainly in q 40 games total due to pandemic.

20 - 21-22 mainly in ahl only 48 games and an April ankle injury which probably impacted his offseason.

He will need more time to season. Great skater, offensive upside, solid frame to put weight on. He should be fine.

Great points

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I heard the same and Anthony Marcotte has made similar comments to the dire state of the Ds in Laval.

I do not understand how the Habs are handling Ds’ development not with the NHL team

Injust don’t know 

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I heard the same and Anthony Marcotte has made similar comments to the dire state of the Ds in Laval.

I do not understand how the Habs are handling Ds’ development not with the NHL team

Injust don’t know 

Actual legit question here.

When you have 4-5 rookie Ds in the NHL, and you have others in Lane Hutson and Logan Mailloux playing in NCAA and OHL, and then Norlinder is injured, where are these AHL prospect Ds supposed to come from?  How many do prospect Ds do you expect an organization to have?  Yeah there is no real prospects on D in Laval right now (and Barron/Norlinder would have been the only ones earlier) but what do you expect in a pipeline?

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Injust don’t know 

Those are two different issues. There are few D prospects in Laval since most of them are playing with the Habs (see my earlier post) and you can develop prospects that are not on the team. They would only be able to work with Barron (who has done pretty well in Laval) and Norlinder, that's it.

45 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Actual legit question here.

When you have 4-5 rookie Ds in the NHL, and you have others in Lane Hutson and Logan Mailloux playing in NCAA and OHL, and then Norlinder is injured, where are these AHL prospect Ds supposed to come from?  How many do prospect Ds do you expect an organization to have?  Yeah there is no real prospects on D in Laval right now (and Barron/Norlinder would have been the only ones earlier) but what do you expect in a pipeline?

Commandant, I won't answer. It will lead to another long back and forth were you will try to win an argument. I'll pass on this one

• tomh009 unpinned this topic