2022-23 Laval Rocket Discussion Thread

tomh009

21 yr-old, 5'08", 168 lbs RHD drafted by Montreal Canadiens - round 7, #216 overall, 2022 NHL Entry Draft ... played the 2022-23 season with Trencin Dukla of the Slovakian Extraleague.

AHL contract ... may be as much to reinforce Trois Rivieres as Laval.

Tourigny is a very interesting prospect with some real talent ... not that I am counting on him making it to the NHL. Unless, of course, we need a matched D pair with Hutson and Tourigny! :D

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I wouldn't say they should be favoured but they have a legitimate chance of getting through this round.

Mesar should be available for practice later this week, or more likely world championships for him would you guess?

A younger team next year, I expect some prospects to play overage years if not dominating their league already. I hope the Habs trade some of the prospects that are not projected to make the NHL club because of depth at their position: either to improve a draft position or to package an NHLer in a hockey trade

That same quote also caught my eye. Hugh-Gort certainly didn’t help Laval by building them for the playoffs; and next year they will probably be greener than this year. 

There are no prospects known to bring grit and sandpaper to the Rocket next year; so I expect a soft team unless

there are some changes to address that

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That same quote also caught my eye. Hugh-Gort certainly didn’t help Laval by building them for the playoffs; and next year they will probably be greener than this year. 

There are no prospects known to bring grit and sandpaper to the Rocket next year; so I expect a soft team unless

there are some changes to address that

That is usually what AHL vets are for.

I still dont understand why we want to build laval to win in the playoffs? I dont care about that (cause it usually means a veteran team).

I want a team that is developping the kids... development is first priority, wins second.

The goal is to promote effective nhlers to montreal, not win the Calder Cup

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I still dont understand why we want to build laval to win in the playoffs? I dont care about that (cause it usually means a veteran team).

I want a team that is developping the kids... development is first priority, wins second.

The goal is to promote effective nhlers to montreal, not win the Calder Cup

A young team with a few strong veterans can have playoff success which is a viable goal I think.  Yes, player development is the priority but some good playoff runs can only help in player development.  It's not the most important thing but I think there's a way to thread the needle to get the best of both worlds.  With Montreal's youngsters that should be there next year, I think they can realistically swing it if they want to. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

A young team with a few strong veterans can have playoff success which is a viable goal I think.  Yes, player development is the priority but some good playoff runs can only help in player development.  It's not the most important thing but I think there's a way to thread the needle to get the best of both worlds.  With Montreal's youngsters that should be there next year, I think they can realistically swing it if they want to. 

Thats not what has been argued in the constant HuGo.isnt helping laval posts though.  Its been lets trade picks or prospects to get help (read veterans) for Laval.

Which to me is just crazy asset management.  You keep assets to build the NHL team with not the AhL one.

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Thats not what has been argued in the constant HuGo.isnt helping laval posts though.  Its been lets trade picks or prospects to get help (read veterans) for Laval.

Which to me is just crazy asset management.  You keep assets to build the NHL team with not the AhL one.

I’d like to gave a competitive team in Laval and have them win -but yeah, it should be part of developing good prospects.

we had that in the 80’s, where Roy and others won in the AHL, before coming up. Same thing in the early 70’s when prospects were allowed to develop in the minors. Tampa did the same thing. A lot of their players that played on cup winners went through their AHL team - including Cooper. That should be the model.

The AHL is where I believe Slafkovsky belonged this year. Next year we have guys graduating from the CHL, and I’d rather have them prove themselves in the AHL first. If HuGo don’t trust the coaches in AHL to be able to do that job, fire the existing staff and out the right coaches in Laval. I don’t buy the BS that they can monitor a layer better, or that MSL is the best player to develop a kid - if that kid doesn’t belong in the NHL. Slafkovsky was getting smoked way too often. He needed to learn the NA game. If rather have him dominate in the AHL, learn to deepens himself and and be more aware agianst weaker competition than risk having him have a half a dozen concussions before he is 20. Load up on prospects in Laval and have them learn to win in the minors - that is how we should be trying to win that Calder cup. Totally agree with you though about not trading  for players and losing assets to just load up Laval. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d like to gave a competitive team in Laval and have them win -but yeah, it should be part of developing good prospects.

we had that in the 80’s, where Roy and others won in the AHL, before coming up. Same thing in the early 70’s when prospects were allowed to develop in the minors. Tampa did the same thing. A lot of their players that played on cup winners went through their AHL team - including Cooper. That should be the model.

The AHL is where I believe Slafkovsky belonged this year. Next year we have guys graduating from the CHL, and I’d rather have them prove themselves in the AHL first. If HuGo don’t trust the coaches in AHL to be able to do that job, fire the existing staff and out the right coaches in Laval. I don’t buy the BS that they can monitor a layer better, or that MSL is the best player to develop a kid - if that kid doesn’t belong in the NHL. Slafkovsky was getting smoked way too often. He needed to learn the NA game. If rather have him dominate in the AHL, learn to deepens himself and and be more aware agianst weaker competition than risk having him have a half a dozen concussions before he is 20. Load up on prospects in Laval and have them learn to win in the minors - that is how we should be trying to win that Calder cup. Totally agree with you though about not trading  for players and losing assets to just load up Laval. 

That sums it up very well, how I feel about using LVL to develop prospects 

I favour some trimming of the prospect pool via trade to better build that support environment and increase the level of compete. But it is a trim job not clear cut.

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That sums it up very well, how I feel about using LVL to develop prospects 

I favour some trimming of the prospect pool via trade to better build that support environment and increase the level of compete. But it is a trim job not clear cut.

Yeah like there should be a couple strong vets guys can learn from too. Every line and pairing should have an older dude I'd think. Maybe just a 7th dman older guy to swap in and out for injuries/callups.

Ideally the team would always be in the mix for the playoffs. Once in a while try and make a run at it.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic