2022-23 Laval Rocket Discussion Thread

tomh009

41 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Those are two different issues. There are few D prospects in Laval since most of them are playing with the Habs (see my earlier post) and you can develop prospects that are not on the team. They would only be able to work with Barron (who has done pretty well in Laval) and Norlinder, that's it.

when a plan is drawn early in the season, there is usually a development arc per player and multiple scenarios on team compositions.

Right now, there are no prospects in Laval and making a change now will make things worse contract wise, or roster wise at any level.

1) the dire state of the Ds in Laval is something that is usually fixed by the professional scouting team and the Laval GM: I do not know what the strategy is there, it is certainly different than after the AHL team moved to Laval, closer on how it was before

2) handling of non-NHL roster Ds: yes, this is a separate question that would affect #1, above. Like I said, I do not know what their plan is; when I try to figure it out from what I see, I do not understand it.

Why would they make a trade for a defenceman to help the AHL team?

What Pro defencemen are they going to add to Laval without making a trade?

Its pretty easy to understand.  They have signed the best possible ECHL PTOs to fill the bodies they need due to injuries.  They aren't going to mortgage NHL assets to add AHL defencemen mid-season.  Whats hard about this? How is it any different how almost every NHL club runs?

Arrgh! Just thinking about all potential squandered with Lefebvre in charge of the farm team makes me grind my teeth even now.  

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Belzile is playing really well as a center. Who would have thought ?! :rolleyes:

I think you're going to get your wish to see him in that role in Montreal for a little bit.  They're basically down to him, Mitchell Stephens, and Nate Schnarr to choose from and on merit, it should be Belzile.

17 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I think you're going to get your wish to see him in that role in Montreal for a little bit.  They're basically down to him, Mitchell Stephens, and Nate Schnarr to choose from and on merit, it should be Belzile.

I am not holding my breath, but it would be nice to see him before any of the AHL wingers

I am happy for Belzile on two lost seasons (MTL and LVL)

:1banana: I saw was 2-0 after 1st and gave up checking on game, great to see them bury 3 PP goals and comeback to win it.

https://ahl.report/ot-win-over-top-team-in-east-recap-her-lav/

"It was an uneventful start to the period until the sixth minute when John Parker-Jones and Dylan Mcllrath dropped the gloves at the centre ice. The fight gave energy to the fans and the home team."

"The players credited Parker-Jones’ fight as the turning point of this contest."

McIlrath is still playing? Thought he simply washed out of pro hockey.

1 hour ago, DON said:

McIlrath is still playing? Thought he simply washed out of pro hockey.

He's still serviceable on the back end and with the extra fighting in the minors, there will be a spot for him for a while.  Reminds me of Zack Stortini and how long he played in the minors despite being useless at pretty much everything other than fighting; McIlrath can at least give a team 14-16 minutes defensively.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic