Simoneau - Gignac - Bourque

Condotta - Mysak - Mesar

Leskinen - Barron

Norlinder - Dello

Bowey - Green

Primeau

Puck drop is at 7 PM on RDS Info.  

20 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Fourth line in the AHL? Mesar needs to head to Kitchener ...

I agree. I don’t get the whole approach of trying to develop a guy at that age as a top 6 forward and giving them 4th line minutes. Put them in a position where they play a ton, dominate and get confidence in playing a major role.

its one thing to have a young player expected to be a top 6 to start in a bottom 6 role in the NHL, but even then an 18 or 19 year old need playing time .  it’s just plain stupidity to have a player that age in a 4th line role in the friggin AHL if you want them to develop into a top 6 player.

44 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

... and if Wright is returned to Kingston, Mesar needs to be traded to Ottawa so that they can go head-to-head more often ... and make it easier for me to see him play.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

... and if Wright is returned to Kingston, Mesar needs to be traded to Ottawa so that they can go head-to-head more often ... and make it easier for me to see him play.

Hey! We need a Habs prospect over here, too!

28 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I agree. I don’t get the whole approach of trying to develop a guy at that age as a top 6 forward and giving them 4th line minutes. Put them in a position where they play a ton, dominate and get confidence in playing a major role.

its one thing to have a young player expected to be a top 6 to start in a bottom 6 role in the NHL, but even then an 18 or 19 year old need playing time .  it’s just plain stupidity to have a player that age in a 4th line role in the friggin AHL if you want them to develop into a top 6 player.

Isn't it too early to criticize Hugh-Gort's decision to Keep Mesar in Laval?

I want to see him play at least one game, if not a handful, regardless on how little he plays

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I want to see him play at least one game, if not a handful, regardless on how little he plays

It’s rare to see players that age get meaningful ice time and a big time in the AHL. Maybe it will increase, but if he is only going to get limited role and time for more than 4 or 5 games. He needs to be sent to junior. He’s at the age that he needs to play a lot.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

He's undersized and a double-underager in a league that's particularly physical.  I have no issues with easing him in.  Mesar has made it very clear he does not want to go to the OHL so they're taking the slow and steady approach.  See if he can handle the fourth line for a few games and then evaluate from there, either move him up if he's thriving or send him down if he's not doing much.

Two years ago, Jan Mysak was an 18-year-old in Laval with the OHL not playing.  He was basically stapled on the fourth line all season long as he was physically overmatched.

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

They haven't decided to keep him in Laval ... in fact Hughes has said he would prefer he play in the OHL ... they have only decided not to keep him with the Habs ... Laval is his current team ... it may still (likely will?) ultimately be Kitchner

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Mesar has made it very clear he does not want to go to the OHL so they're taking the slow and steady approach. 

And why does that matter?

Shouldnt Habs development group tell him where he should and will play?

Not that a few games in AHL will hurt one bit, but he seems best served in junior or Euro league for majority of year.

19 minutes ago, DON said:

And why does that matter?

Shouldnt Habs development group tell him where he should and will play?

Not that a few games in AHL will hurt one bit, but he seems best served in junior or Euro league for majority of year.

It's not a big deal but generally speaking, ignoring the wishes of one of your better prospects isn't ideal if there's a way to placate him somewhat.  This way, they'll give him a chance to prove himself.  If (when) he struggles to keep up with the pace and physicality, they'll send him back to junior then and Mesar likely won't be as upset about it as he'll have had his chance and will have a first-hand understanding of what's needed at that level.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Now 5-4 Belleville in the third period.  I'd watch it but my TV provider decided to black it out at 9:30 for some reason.  It's an AHL game, there are no blackout restrictions...

Forgot it was on ... tuned on with 3 minutes left in O/T ... got to see Belleville generally carry the play and score with 27 seconds left ... :( 

• dlbalr changed the title to Oct. 14/15, Belleville vs Laval, 7 PM

They play again tonight, might as well use this as the GDT for that one as well.  Tonight's lines:

Harvey-Pinard - Belzile - Ylonen
Richard - Gignac - Martel
Simoneau - Mysak - Bourque
Condotta - Schnarr - Dube

Leskinen - Barron
Norlinder - Dello
Trudeau - Bowey

Poulin

The absence of Stephens suggests he has been suspended.

40 minutes ago, DON said:

Any word on how the younger prospects (Simoneau, Norlinder, Mysak, Barron, Trudeau) have looked?

In the 2:40 I saw of O/T I was surprised to see Simoneau getting ice-time and Norlinder was involved in a turnover (gave away puck, missed a pass or was stripped - can't recall which).

On 10/14/2022 at 8:05 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

It’s rare to see players that age get meaningful ice time and a big time in the AHL. Maybe it will increase, but if he is only going to get limited role and time for more than 4 or 5 games. He needs to be sent to junior. He’s at the age that he needs to play a lot.

I might have to do with keeping him with the coaches they want him to develop under? It could be that they see their AHL coaching team to be superior to Jr coaches and that his development is better handled with less game time, more work with top tier coaches? Not saying that is the case, but it is definitely worth considering.

47 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

I might have to do with keeping him with the coaches they want him to develop under? It could be that they see their AHL coaching team to be superior to Jr coaches and that his development is better handled with less game time, more work with top tier coaches? Not saying that is the case, but it is definitely worth considering.

May well be, but moot since he was sent to Kitchner on Saturday.