October 17 - Montreal vs Pittsburgh - 7:00 pm EST

GHT120

MONTREAL

The Canadiens skated at the Bell Centre ahead of their matchup against the Penguins.

Here are the lines and defense pairings featured by head coach Martin St-Louis:

Monday, October 17
Morning skate

LW C RW
22 - Cole Caufield 14 - Nick Suzuki 91 - Sean Monahan
63 - Evgenii Dadonov 28 - Christian Dvorak 11 - Brendan Gallagher

27 - Jonathan Drouin

77 - Kirby Dach 17 - Josh Anderson
20 - Juraj Slafkovsky

71 - Jake Evans

68 - Mike Hoffman
LD RD G
21 - Kaiden Guhle 58 - David Savard 35 - Sam Montembeault
54 - Jordan Harris 26 - Johnathan Kovacevic 30 - Cayden Primeau
72 - Arber Xhekaj 6 - Chris Wideman

The best I could find
And now for the Pens…

Projected Lines

Forwards

Jake Guentzel – Sidney Crosby – Rickard Rakell

Jason Zucker – Evgeni Malkin – Bryan Rust

Danton Heinen-Jeff Carter-Kasperi Kapanen

Brock McGinn – Ryan Poehling – Josh Archibald

Defense

Brian Dumoulin / Kris Letang

Marcus Pettersson/Jeff Petry

Pierre-Olivier Joseph / Jan Rutta

Goalies: Tristan Jarry, Casey DeSmith

Scratches: Teddy Blueger (day-to-day injury), Chad Ruhwedel

• Upvote 1

• GHT120 changed the title to October 17 - Montreal vs Pittsburgh - 7:00 pm EST

I like Monahan on the topline with CC & NS ... could be a nice trio

Slafkovsky on the 4th line reflects his usage Saturday (12:41 TOI is IMO actually decent with no PK or PP) ... but don't see him staying up with the Habs if he settles into that role ... tons of TOI with the Rocket would IMO be more beneficial ... PERSONALLY, I would have no problems with him going to the Erie Otters (they drafted him in 2021) ... Habs lose some developmental control but he would get out from under the Montreal microscope. 

same here,  like Monahan with Suzuki to take strong size face-offs (lefty). Also, having a big forward in that line  is needed.

I also like that Droin and Anderson, who had chemistry before, are playing with Dach. A better fit than Dvorak. Druin can take some face-offs too, Third-line matchups should work better.

I don't care where Dvorak plays, the conditioning repetitions on the fourth line should help him... but he has not played well. Hoffman has been floating on ice, his usual except he has not gotten may shots on goal which makes him useless.

With Montembeault and Primeau dressing for this game, it should be another one in the bank for the tank

Go Habs Go!

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If you are going to play Slafkovsky bottom line minutes without PP time then send him to Laval. 

I think he will be and should be sent down; but, in grand scheme of things, a few games more in the NHL with limited minutes is fine.

Too bad Pitlick and Pezzetta aren't playing in place of Hoffman and Drouin. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

I think he will be and should be sent down; but, in grand scheme of things, a few games more in the NHL with limited minutes is fine.

Too bad Pitlick and Pezzetta aren't playing in place of Hoffman and Drouin. 

As much as I hate seeing those two bums, we need to play them and hope they show a pulse and produce - it’s the only way we have any chance of dumping them and get some assets back. MB left a lot of bad contracts that he handed out like candy, or traded for to guys that are underachieving “character” 🙄 players that we need to get rid of - Drouin, Hoffman, Armia, Byron, Gallagher, Savard, and Dvorak. At least Drouin and Byron expire at the end of this year.

... and you stop loosing the puck at the offensive zone blue line

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

As much as I hate seeing those two bums, we need to play them and hope they show a pulse and produce - it’s the only way we have any chance of dumping them and get some assets back. MB left a lot of bad contracts that he handed out like candy, or traded for to guys that are underachieving “character” 🙄 players that we need to get rid of - Drouin, Hoffman, Armia, Byron, Gallagher, Savard, and Dvorak. At least Drouin and Byron expire at the end of this year.

Cheer for Bergevin to get a GM job ... I am certain he would be PROUD to be able to add Gallagher to his new team ... 🙄

Will be interesting to see how Habs juggle, playing guys who 'deserve' it vs playing culls like Hoffman who they (and 100% of Habfans) want to be rid now, at deadline or any point in between.  

Kinda hope they can just focus on developing long term Habs and mostly ignore the whole showcasing guys that they would simply love to deal for some kind of asset bit. 

These lines look like desperation and way too early for that.

Not sure why breaking up the one productive line 14/22/17 makes sense, even more so given the need to insuLAte Dach with Monohan.

Drouin cannot take face offs as was mentioned so that theory doesn’t make sense.

Agreed that playing Slaf on fourth  line makes no sense, not going to get him any confidence that way.

I’m not impressed with these coaching moves and will probably be proven wrong so Go Habs Go! 

9 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Lucky break on that post. 

How is Dadanov this bad?  Like, how did he get a $5m contract being this bad??

I'd say he is probably not in a great headspace after what Vegas pulled last season. Doesn't want to be on a bad Montreal team.

11 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

... Doesn't want to be on a bad Montreal team.

The quickest way off is to make someone want to trade for you ... HuGo have shown they not are locked in to the trade deadline if they get what they see as a fair offer.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The quickest way off is to make someone want to trade for you ... HuGo have shown they not are locked in to the trade deadline if they get what they see as a fair offer.

There's also the "Dvorak factor" - remember how lost he seemed in the first half last year? Sometimes it's just tough for a new guy to click with a new organization. I do find this odd coming from a 33-year-old seasoned vet. It could be the same thing that's ailing Hoffman - i.e., he is simply too old to be the player he used to be, and Montreal is the team that gets to discover how rapidly he is in decline.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There's also the "Dvorak factor" - remember how lost he seemed in the first half last year? Sometimes it's just tough for a new guy to click with a new organization. I do find this odd coming from a 33-year-old seasoned vet. It could be the same thing that's ailing Hoffman - i.e., he is simply too old to be the player he used to be, and Montreal is the team that gets to discover how rapidly he is in decline.

Dadonov looked like this two years ago in Ottawa.  He's a secondary offensive guy that's a bit overpaid relative to his role and playing for his fourth team (and system) in as many years probably isn't helping much.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Lucky break on that post. 

That was super odd.  From the top angle I was sure it didnt go in, but all other angles no clue.

I think Monahan with Suzuki and Caufield is a smart idea.  They have chemistry with anybody, so move Anderson in hopes of getting Drouin going.

Damn, they're looking dangerous.  That 1 play was almost the sweetest play ever.  i.e. the tic tack toe x3 but Caulfield missed getting the puck back.  That would have been insane had he scored.  

I think we played a pretty good period. Although I’m not sure if the Monahan, Anderson swap is helping either line. 

Guhle needs a better D partner than Savard. His skating is really, really impressive and it would be amazing to have Guhle paired with another strong skater. 

23 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Dadanov is looking at option B right now if he doesn't improve.  Getting sent to Laval.  It's not something that will happen right away, but if he doesn't improve, I could see at the 15 game mark it could be a possibility.  Montreal clears just over $1m off their cap hit, $2.5m if he gets claimed.

5 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think we played a pretty good period. Although I’m not sure if the Monahan, Anderson swap is helping either line. 

Guhle needs a better D partner than Savard. His skating is really, really impressive and it would be amazing to have Guhle paired with another strong skater. 

Give the swap more time, I'm pretty sure its a good idea.  Monahan is a decent set up guy so he should help CC and NS get more points.  

Guhle is a really good skater.  He has a decent shot too.

In contrast Harris almost scored, but so far I haven't been impressed with his shot.  However, I do enjoy the mayhem that usually ensues after his shot gets easily blocked and a Habs gets the puck down low.  

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Ugh. No one covering Malkin? Again?

Somewhat like certain wide receivers in football ... some great scorers have the knack for "finding the seam," so to speak.

38 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Dadanov is looking at option B right now if he doesn't improve.  Getting sent to Laval.  It's not something that will happen right away, but if he doesn't improve, I could see at the 15 game mark it could be a possibility.  Montreal clears just over $1m off their cap hit, $2.5m if he gets claimed.

If someone claimed Dadonov (which won't happen because of the contract), the entire cap hit would be removed.