October 20 - Canadiens vs Coyotes - 7 pm EDT

GHT120

Dach is looking better and better by the shift. 

All the praise goes to Guhle as well as Arber's presence but Harris is quietly playing good hockey...

If these rookie D can keep it up then all bets are off

Slaf just gave the best on ice interview with Marc Denis (not a high bar to clear because those are normally cringey as hell). What a beaut - literally, though, he looks like a model.

Harris and Guhle are both looking like seasoned vets. 

Suzuki and Caufield are future ppg studs.

Xhekaj just sent a message to all the heavyweights in the league by dummying Kassian.

We've got ourselves a future core, folks!

The kids are indeed showing potential. But it's only five games into the season, so I refuse to get too excited at this point yet. There are still 77 games to go -- and it's only the first season for most of them!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It is Ingram getting the start tonight.

Yeah rough start but he settled in a bit and weathered some storms.

Glad we got to see him, so far this year it looks like Monty was the smart choice haha

6 minutes ago, Neech said:

Slaf just gave the best on ice interview with Marc Denis (not a high bar to clear because those are normally cringey as hell). What a beaut - literally, though, he looks like a model.

Xhekaj just sent a message to all the heavyweights in the league by dummying Kassian.

Missed the on ice interview but have liked how he has handled them so far.  Def seems mature but still a fun loving kid who loves the game.  It is infectious.

Agreed on all of the other points.

loved see Wifi step in to stick up for Slaf after he took that hit and as he scored . Wifi didn’t take himself too far out of play and showed how strong this bond is amongst these youngsters.

great sign .

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The kids are indeed showing potential. But it's only five games into the season, so I refuse to get too excited at this point yet. There are still 77 games to go -- and it's only the first season for most of them!

Definitely right to temper expectations but definitely nice to be able to cheer and get excited.

Its been a lot better than the tire fire I expected this year.

21 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not the best period but Allen may have prevented an embarrassing third period collapse - he made some great saves. 

We have plenty to be excited about 

Good point, he saved some bacon and after bei neg untested for so long that was extra impressive.

When Allen is on, i always think of some movie where Robert Deniro (maybe?) has a gangster accent and says:

”Jakey my boy”.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Dach is looking better and better by the shift. 

All the praise goes to Guhle as well as Arber's presence but Harris is quietly playing good hockey...

If these rookie D can keep it up then all bets are off

True, true. Harris is going to be a great two way player and can see him having creativity to run a PP some day.

That was fun as hell to watch, and it checked all the boxes:

Caufield continues to fill the net...check

Slaf gets his first....check

Arber drops the other team's heavyweight, and throws his weight around defending his teammates...check

Suzuki scores a highlight reel goal...check

Full value for entertainment....I like this team a lot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

That was fun as hell to watch, and it checked all the boxes:

Caufield continues to fill the net...check

Slaf gets his first....check

Arber drops the other team's heavyweight, and throws his weight around defending his teammates...check

Suzuki scores a highlight reel goal...check

Full value for entertainment....I like this team a lot.

I like this team a lot too. 

It’s exciting that we should be adding two more quality players in this upcoming draft as well. 

Hmm, I just watched the goals I missed.  After Slaf scored and was celebrating I swear he looked right at Josh Brown #3 and say "f#@k you" to him.  Anyone know why?  Maybe Brown had recently hit Slaf or something.  I definitely noticed Xhekaj had skated down and hit Brown in the corner just before the turnover that led to Slaf's goal.  

edit:  I just watched the whole highlights on nhl.com, it showed why.  Brown basically hits Slaf up high with an elbow as he was crossing the blue line.  When Wideman joined the celebration he had to look over to see who Slaf was talking to and started laughing.  

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

[...]

I also will be checking Dach’s line hoping they perform well and Monahan’s performance on the top line

I am so glad that the Habs won and that Juraj got his first goal. I still want him to go down to Laval and dominate but only after Armia is healthy and in the lineup if he is better than Juraj. The kid is smart and will have a great future in the NHL, I just want to make sure we have the best possible version of the player.

I liked how well Dach's line played. Drouin is playing well and Dach is doing great based on my expectations. With how well Guhle and Harris are playing, I am now fine with the trade that brought him here, great asset management by Hugh-Gort.

I love Monahan, he complements well Suzuki and Caufield, much better than Anderson.

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, I just watched the goals I missed.  After Slaf scored and was celebrating I swear he looked right at Josh Brown #3 and say "f#@k you" to him.  Anyone know why?  Maybe Brown had recently hit Slaf or something.  I definitely noticed Xhekaj had skated down and hit Brown in the corner just before the turnover that led to Slaf's goal.  

edit:  I just watched the whole highlights on nhl.com, it showed why.  Brown basically hits Slaf up high with an elbow as he was crossing the blue line.  When Wideman joined the celebration he had to look over to see who Slaf was talking to and started laughing.  

Xhekaj was great on that play, he has made Pezzetta unnecessary to the success of the team. I liked how Juraj said on his interview with Marc Denis that he feels much better on the ice thanks to a guy like Xhekaj that can "kill anyone on this league" :)

2 hours ago, Neech said:

Yup, agree with all your comments. I think Harris is very quietly becoming an excellent NHL defensemen, so smart and so mobile. The kids are fun to watch. Bedard might not be in play this year but it is early still. 

3 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Missed the on ice interview but have liked how he has handled them so far.  Def seems mature but still a fun loving kid who loves the game.  It is infectious.

Agreed on all of the other points.

loved see Wifi step in to stick up for Slaf after he took that hit and as he scored . Wifi didn’t take himself too far out of play and showed how strong this bond is amongst these youngsters.

great sign .

here is a bit of it

Harris had 4 shots in 4 of the 5 games, is+5, 20+minutes in last 2 games, he will score his 1st soon.

Dach 2 of 7 on FO.

Least icetime for Hoffman and Drouin, dont think fans will complain. Drouin still has 2pts in 3gms. 

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/10/kids-entertain-fans-in-habs-6-2-win-over-arizona/

"Honourable Mention – Jordan Harris 

Since the start of the season, Harris has delivered small yet important plays that quietly go while setting up his teammates for the big shiny moment that leaves fans in awe. He seems to be cool as a cucumber, but maybe that’s just from always being in the right spot and seemingly never getting himself in too much trouble. Oh, and he’s doing while playing over 20 minutes a night in these first five games. What a fun rookie he has been to watch so far. Thank goodness he didn’t sign elsewhere when he could have! 

Stats: +3, 4 shots, 1 hit, 21:31 T.O.I. "

Awww.

Drouin looks like the same old, same old to me. Some plays Drouin shows poise and outstanding passing skills while on other plays Drouin looks lazy with poor decisions with the puck. 

There is some chemistry with Dach but Drouin is the same as always. 

Harris has been our most solid Dman since camp started. Guhle has also been exceptional but Harris is very polished  

I think the Habs play a very strong and tight team game. Everyone is rowing hard in the same direction. 

I want Pitlick back in the lineup instead of Dadonov or Hoffman. 

Slafkovski and Xhekaj to Laval for their development but it is fun having such a scary, savage beast like Xhekaj on the team. 

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... Juraj scored his first goal. I still want him to go down to Laval and dominate but only after Armia is healthy and in the lineup if he is better than Juraj ...

You realize that would mean Slafkovsky most likely isn't going to Laval ... Armia will be Armia ... meaning, the occasional burst of performance amongst ETERNAL(S) disappointment (kind of like the movie) ... but it would IMO be best for his career to spend some time playing HUGE minutes in all situations in Laval, regardless of whether he deserves to be in the lineup more than Armia, or Hoffman, or Dadonov, or Drouin.

Viewed objectively, there’s a bit too much giddiness in Habsland right now - this team is apt to win way more than it loses, and Arizona is not an NHL team. I also saw much of the same giddiness around the Subban/Patches edition of the club around 2013, and in the longer run that whole configuration somehow went sour, so we’re a loooong way from this moment - where a future core appears to be emerging and solidifying - to any sort of promised land. BUT we’re learning a few things:

• Wifi is one tough mofo. He didn’t just beat Kassian, he demolished him to an almost frightening degree. I guarantee you that clip is going around the league and guys are going, “whoa.”
  • Harris - is he the next Dan Hamhuis? A quiet player who doesn’t rack up huge points but who efficiently controls the play?
  • Slaf - I guess he’s not used to being hit like that, because he seemed to overreact to a clean check, but great that he got his first! I thought Ingram should have had it, but we’ll take it.
  • St Louis says we’re developing a “pack mentality.” Teams like that are hard to play against, even if they lose a lot. 
  • This team is not going to win the Bédard competition, unless we get a ton of lottery luck. Or Allen gets hurt. God forbid.