October 22 - Canadiens vs Stars - 7:00 pm EDT

GHT120

image.png

MONTREAL -- The Canadiens' homestand continues with a matchup against the Stars tonight at the Bell Centre.

Here's what you need to know heading into the game:

1. Head coach Martin St-Louis' squad is coming off a memorable 6-2 win over the Coyotes on Thursday night. Josh Anderson, Cole Caufield and Brendan Gallagher blitzed the visitors with first-period goals by the time the game was just 7:17 old, and the Canadiens never looked back. That set the stage for Juraj Slafkovsky's first NHL snipe in the middle frame, which sent the crowd into a frenzy. Nick Suzuki added a spectacular penalty-shot tally, before Sean Monahan capped the scoring with an empty-netter to send the fans home happy. Goaltender Jake Allen turned aside 25 of 27 shots between the pipes. With the triumph, St-Louis' contingent improved to 3-0-0 on home ice thus far this season.

Meanwhile, Slafkovsky (18 years, 204 days) became the fourth-youngest player in franchise history at the time of his first career goal behind Mario Tremblay (18 years, 75 days), Jesperi Kotkaniemi (18 years, 118 days) and Claude Lemieux (18 years, 141 days).

The first-overall pick this past July also became the youngest Slovak-born player in NHL history to score his first career goal, a mark previously held by Marian Gaborik (18 years, 235 days on Oct. 6, 2000).

2. Suzuki and Caufield continue to enjoy strong starts to the year. Both players are looking to extend their respective point streaks to four games tonight. Suzuki (3 goals, 3 assists) leads the Habs in scoring with six points, while Caufield (4 goals, 1 assist) sits second with five points. Interestingly enough, Suzuki's penalty-shot marker on goaltender Connor Ingram was his second with Montreal, tying him with Jonathan Drouin, Guillaume Latendresse, Mats Naslund and Bobby Rousseau for the most in Canadiens history.

3. The Stars boasted a perfect 3-0-0 record before the Maple Leafs handed them a 3-2 overtime loss on Thursday night in Toronto. Luke Glendening and Tyler Seguin scored for Dallas, but Nicholas Robertson's second goal of the contest was the game-winner in the extra frame. Goaltender Scott Wedgewood made 40 saves in his season debut, but ultimately came up short. Mason Marchment currently leads the Stars in scoring with six points (3 goals, 3 assists). Seguin (2 goals, 3 assists), Roope Hintz (2 goals, 3 assists) and Jason Robertson (1 goal, 4 assists) rank second with five points each. 

4. It's FANatic Saturday at the Bell Centre. The programming features the first Molson Export Concert Series performances of the season outdoors at Canadiens Plaza. Alicia Moffet will rock the crowd at the pre-game party as well as fans at home on Twitch from 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. Then stick with us on Twitch to get a live look-in at our DJ spinning tunes in-bowl during warmups, as of approximately 6:30 p.m. One prize will be drawn among the fans in the chat on Twitch. After the game, Gros Big will perform a 30-minute set on the outdoor stage.

5. Puck drop is 7:00 p.m. ET. You can watch the game on Sportsnet East, Citytv, NHL Network, Bally Sports Southwest and TVA Sports, and listen on the radio on TSN 690 and 98,5 fm. Click here to buy tickets to the game.

Saturday, October 22
Morning skate
LW C RW
22 - Cole Caufield 14 - Nick Suzuki 91 - Sean Monahan
63 - Evgenii Dadonov 28 - Christian Dvorak 11 - Brendan Gallagher

27 - Jonathan Drouin

77 - Kirby Dach 17 - Josh Anderson
32 - Rem Pitlick

71 - Jake Evans

68 - Mike Hoffman
LD RD G
21 - Kaiden Guhle 58 - David Savard 34 - Jake Allen
54 - Jordan Harris 26 - Johnathan Kovacevic 35 - Sam Montembeault
72 - Arber Xhekaj 6 - Chris Wideman  

• Michael Pezzetta and Corey Schueneman were the extras during the on-ice session.
  • Juraj Slafkovsky didn't skate because he's day-to-day with an upper-body injury.
  • Joel Armia and Joel Edmundson skated with the group to start the next phase of their injury rehab. They haven't been cleared to play yet.
  •  

Couldn't find any Stars info

• Upvote 1

This injury may be a good thing if it's only minor.  Keeps him out of the lineup to sit in the press box and watch the game instead of just being put in the press box due to back or lack of performance.  Completely different view and experience of the game to learn from. 

• Like 1

Slaf's injury is likely minor because he did finish the last game.  I actually wondered if he was injured by his reaction when he scored and looked at Brown and swore at him.  That was a funny reaction he had. 

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

This injury may be a good thing if it's only minor.  Keeps him out of the lineup to sit in the press box and watch the game instead of just being put in the press box due to back or lack of performance.  Completely different view and experience of the game to learn from. 

I agree that its probably a good thing because I believe they were planning on sitting him for a few games anyway before they would send him down to the AHL.  There is a very different perspective watching the games from up in the press box.

I'm certainly happy to see Pitlick back in the lineup but I'd put him on Dach's line though.   

Hopefully they win or at least get a point.

A little sloppy, but we're right in this game.  Need more net-front traffic going forward.  I think Wifi needs to roar into one of the bigger Stars to settle their physicality down a notch.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think we are lucky to be tied. Sure we had lots of chances but our Dzone play was not good at all. 

Dallas is aggressive 

The first half of the period, they had the Habs on their heels, to be sure. The second half they were able to break out of their own zone much better and had some good chances. But I agree that they should be pretty happy to be tied after the first.

Kovacevic flattened twice, but also 3 shots.

Hoffman 3 shots also.

Harris 1 shot 7:37 leading team in icetime.

SUzuki just 1 of 5 on FO in that period.

So refs didn't call the slashing call on Suzuki, the direct result of that was that loose stick broke up a partial breakaway and an injury to Gallagher by stepping on the stick.  A missed penalty doesn't affect the game?  Also, why didn't the linesman pick up the stick once the play went to the Montreal's zone for the 3 on 2?  It is their job.

9 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

So refs didn't call the slashing call on Suzuki, the direct result of that was that loose stick broke up a partial breakaway and an injury to Gallagher by stepping on the stick.  A missed penalty doesn't affect the game?  Also, why didn't the linesman pick up the stick once the play went to the Montreal's zone for the 3 on 2?  It is their job.

That looked like a garbage decision by the refs to me.

When Gallagher collapsed, I had visions of his career being compromised - visions of Markov - but then he comes back next shift, LOL.

Pavelski in beast mode tonight. Yeesh.

Ya, the stick slash should have been called, and at the very least the stick should have been picked up.  I'm glad Gally is back, that would have sucked if he was injured on that play.  He's having a good year so far and its possible that he gets career high in points. 

With the way Pavelski has played so far this game I was nervous that he was going to score from his knees on that 1 play. 

One of the talking heads on TVA made his pre-game "bold prediction" that Arber would score his first goal ... YUP!!!

He did a nice job of creating a shooting lane.

I knew Xhekaj has a decent wrister from the point. He scored a similar goal vs the Sens in the preseason.  I'm jonesing to see him do more slapshots too.  For his size he should be able to hammer the puck crazy hard; but ... does he have any accuracy on it?  They need to find that out before sending him anywhere. 

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Day of the Xhekaj!

Those of us that get the joke are either OLLDDD or movie buffs ... I'm the former

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

As useless as Drouin is in his own zone, he's not as bad as Dadanov is like everywhere.

I haven't seen Dadonov blow the defensive zone early and be the absolute direct cause of a goal like that last one.  I want Drouin gone more than any other player on the roster by a country mile.

• Like 1