October 22 - Canadiens vs Stars - 7:00 pm EDT

GHT120

I didn’t see the third (date night with the missus) but my impression was that Guhle had a fairly weak outing, looking like a rookie. Anyone else think this? I may have been extrapolating too much from a poor shift or two. 

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

This logic seems backwards. I am fairly confident he would produce more given a full season on the top line versus a lower line.

I also wonder how the conversation would go between you and Monahan should you ever meet in person (which obviously likely would not happen).

*Prime Minister walks down Av. des Canadiens-de-Montréal in a Koivu Jersey when Sean Monahan spots him*

Monahan: Go Habs Go! Nice jersey!

Prime Minister: Thank you. Koivu was a legend.

Monahan: He sure was. I’m so happy to be back and healthy again, and playing for this organization is simply a blessing with all the history surrounding it. Hopefully we can build something here over the next couple of years.

Prime Minister: Well… actually… I was hoping to get a first round pick for your services in order to help speed that process up.

Monahan: *Blocked*

I think Monahan would produce more playing on the second line with Dach, including PP time. 

Suzuki faces the best defenders and players. Monahan is bogged down with those responsibilities even if he makes the Suzuki line better - Monahan also made the Dach line better and was used to bolster Dach’s poor face off performance. 

I also think that Monahan is well aware that Calgary paid a first round pick to dump him. A player with multiple surgeries and injuries won’t be part of our rebuild. 

Monahan knows that he is an asset for the Habs and he also knows that he needs a good contract next season. 

My entire motivation is to get Monahan as many points as possible so that we can trade him for as much as possible. 

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I didn’t see the third (date night with the missus) but my impression was that Guhle had a fairly weak outing, looking like a rookie. Anyone else think this? I may have been extrapolating too much from a poor shift or two. 

Guhle did indeed struggle but so did everyone else. The high pressure forecheck of the Jets wasn’t handled well. 

However I think Guhle has struggled a bit in the last two games. He is indeed a rookie with stuff to work on. 

It’s probably not ideal that he leads the team in time on ice. I expect that to change with Edmundson/Matheson coming. 

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... I also think that Monahan is well aware that Calgary paid a first round pick to dump him. A player with multiple surgeries and injuries won’t be part of our rebuild. 

Monahan knows that he is an asset for the Habs and he also knows that he needs a good contract next season. 

My entire motivation is to get Monahan as many points as possible so that we can trade him for as much as possible. 

Entirely agree ... although, depending on who else the Habs manage to rid themselves of, I could see the possibility of bringing him back next summer to be a veteran leader ... ALL dependent on his health and production obviously.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Entirely agree ... although, depending on who else the Habs manage to rid themselves of, I could see the possibility of bringing him back next summer to be a veteran leader ... ALL dependent on his health and production obviously.

That’s a perceptive point. You do have to have some vets on the squad. Especially if Dvorak ends up getting moved, then who knows, a healthy Monahan - provided he is reasonably affordable and wants to stay - could be a veteran option at C. This would depend on his not returning to anything like his previous form in terms of offensive production (in which case he’ll be gone for sure). 

Also: I’ve said this before, but if Dach doesn’t look to be working out, the rebuild will have a bing hole down the middle. That could also create incentives to resign Monahan, as a part of patch-up job.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That’s a perceptive point. You do have to have some vets on the squad. Especially if Dvorak ends up getting moved, then who knows, a healthy Monahan - provided he is reasonably affordable and wants to stay - could be a veteran option at C. This would depend on his not returning to anything like his previous form in terms of offensive production (in which case he’ll be gone for sure). 

Also: I’ve said this before, but if Dach doesn’t look to be working out, the rebuild will have a bing hole down the middle. That could also create incentives to resign Monahan, as a part of patch-up job.

*** IF *** he is healthy and productive, at 28 (29 next October) he could be a 2-4 year patch ... I think there will be many teams put off by his VERY recent hip surgeries when he hits the market next summer ... it could make his AAV/term more reasonable ... of course, all it takes is ONE idiot.

• Upvote 1

I don’t see HuGo taking a chance on a guy with Monahan’s level of injuries/surgeries - unless he is needed to fill a hole. 

I don’t think HuGo has any intention of signing him - they want to trade him for more picks. 

The risk of a long term contract for a history like Monahan is high IMO. A LTIR future problem and we already have enough of those with Gallagher almost certainly on his way as well 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm not sure if Monahan is an answer at center regardless of the situation.  He's 28 now and will be in his early 30's before the team really becomes possibly contenders.  For one, I'm not sure he wants to stay around for that.  Secondly, if he has any form or production turnaround, he'll be far more valuable as a trade chip.  By the time Montreal is ready for contention, Monahan will probably be available via free agency or trade, and the cost should be less than what he fetched this season being traded.  If that's even the guy they want at that point.

As for Dach, they must of saw something somewhere that warranted the steep price they paid for him.  The 13th overall pick and a 3rd round is a steep price to pay for a 21 year old seemingly on decline towards a 3rd/4th line role.  Granted, it was a weaker draft year, so the picks were worth less in theory.  Dach still is 21, a lot of players don't have 2 seasons under their belt at that point like he does.  He also does show flashes of a solid player. 

Is there any Habfan who isnt pleased with the encouraging play of all 4 of these guys; #26, 72, 21, 54?

If there are, cant be many.

Wild have given up 27 goals in 5 games, maybe Habs will score a bunch on Tuesday.

5 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

This logic seems backwards. I am fairly confident he would produce more given a full season on the top line versus a lower line.

I also wonder how the conversation would go between you and Monahan should you ever meet in person (which obviously likely would not happen).

*Prime Minister walks down Av. des Canadiens-de-Montréal in a Koivu Jersey when Sean Monahan spots him*

Monahan: Go Habs Go! Nice jersey!

Prime Minister: Thank you. Koivu was a legend.

Monahan: He sure was. I’m so happy to be back and healthy again, and playing for this organization is simply a blessing with all the history surrounding it. Hopefully we can build something here over the next couple of years.

Prime Minister: Well… actually… I was hoping to get a first round pick for your services in order to help speed that process up.

Monahan: *Blocked*

He’s a UFA at the end of the year. If he does well he will probably want a bump in his salary. We have enough older, declining injury prone guys who’s beat years are behind them on bad contracts, and don’t need another. Monohan was tight with Gaudreau, and I can see him going to Columbus as a UFA if he does put up good numbers.

i want him in whatever line maximizes his production up to the trade deadline, but he’s a guy we have to move.  I’d rather move Armia, Hoffman, or Gallagher, but they are unmovable, and I don’t want to have to overpay on $ and term and give out another bad contract to Monahon. We aren’t making the playoffs, you have to move anyone ho is not going to be part of the rebuild.

if after you move him, he wants to come back once he is a UFA on a reasonable contract, I’d be happy to sign him for a veteran presence, but he has to be moved at the deadline.

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I want Monahan to play easier minutes so he has more opportunities to score. 

I really want another first round pick at the deadline. 

Arpon has a new article about Monahan (I couldn't find the french version). In essence, he explains this contradiction where the best way for the Habs to get a first round pick for Monahan is to play him with Suzuky and Caufield; but at the same time, that is also the best place to make him the most useful for the Canadiens (like Toffoli was).

I agree with Arpon on this, play "MoneyHands" on the top line to showcase him and bring his value up

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I'm not sure if Monahan is an answer at center regardless of the situation.  He's 28 now and will be in his early 30's before the team really becomes possibly contenders.  For one, I'm not sure he wants to stay around for that.  Secondly, if he has any form or production turnaround, he'll be far more valuable as a trade chip.  By the time Montreal is ready for contention, Monahan will probably be available via free agency or trade, and the cost should be less than what he fetched this season being traded.  If that's even the guy they want at that point.

As for Dach, they must of saw something somewhere that warranted the steep price they paid for him.  The 13th overall pick and a 3rd round is a steep price to pay for a 21 year old seemingly on decline towards a 3rd/4th line role.  Granted, it was a weaker draft year, so the picks were worth less in theory.  Dach still is 21, a lot of players don't have 2 seasons under their belt at that point like he does.  He also does show flashes of a solid player. 

I think that Dach will become what we expected of Kotkaniemi. If you compare their stats this year, they have similar points, but KK is benefiting from playng on a very good team where Kirby is doing well on very poor team:

Player                              |   TOI    |   G   |   A1  |   A2   |   Points   |  FOW   |  FOL   |     FF%     |    xGF/60    | xGA/60

Jesperi Kotkaniemi    |  87.02 |   0   |   0   |    2    |       2       |    35    |   26    |  66.63% |      2.92      |   1.69
Kirby Dach                 |   90.8  |    1   |   0   |    2    |       3       |    10    |    24   |  51.47%  |      2.94      |   2.66

I think he will be just fine

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We aren’t making the playoffs, you have to move anyone ho is not going to be part of the rebuild.

This, I think everyone will agree with.

The question is who will be part of the rebuild, in Hugo's plan (not any of our plans).

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don’t see HuGo taking a chance on a guy with Monahan’s level of injuries/surgeries - unless he is needed to fill a hole. 

I don’t think HuGo has any intention of signing him - they want to trade him for more picks. 

The risk of a long term contract for a history like Monahan is high IMO. A LTIR future problem and we already have enough of those with Gallagher almost certainly on his way as well 

I agree, I really like what I have seen from Monahan. It's early but it seems like he has a new lease on life.  Being healthy will do that. If he can stay healthy then he will likely fetch the best return of any of the trade deadline candidates.  HuGo is very practical and will stick to the plan. 

25 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

HuGo is very practical and will stick to the plan. 

If Monahan plays well, dont think is any big need to trade him, or that Hughes has written in stone that he would be dealt.

20 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Black Eye

The Arbiter

WiFi

This guy has more nicknames than Drouin has soft plays

What about "the Jackhammer"? Surprised that one hasn't gotten more traction. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

If Monahan plays well, dont think is any big need to trade him, or that Hughes has written in stone that he would be dealt.

Given that Monahan will be a UFA you either;

1) Trade him at the deadline

2) Sign him to a long term contract or lose him for nothing. Given that he is 28 I expect he will be looking for the security of a longer term contract and I expect somebody will give it to him if he is healthy.  

I much prefer option 1 although I do like what he has brought to the Habs this year. Getting Monahan AND a 1st round pick was a very astute move by Hughes. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

I think the best case scenario of the trade was to get the 1st round pick, Monahan establishes himself as a top-6 forward again, trade him at the deadline for the best possible package.

Worse case scenario was they get the 1st, Monahan doesn’t establish himself as an NHL player anymore and he walks in free agency because nobody would give up anything to acquire him.

I honestly don’t think resigning him was or is in the plan.  I don’t think anything other than a great performance and the willingness to sign a cheap contract would have him signed in Montreal for the rebuild.  

38 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I honestly don’t think resigning him was or is in the plan.  I

Agree, but who knows, maybe Dvorak will be the contract to be traded away during the season and then sign Monahan to cheaper deal, if his skating is still good? May also depend on how Dach is looking come the new year.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

I honestly don’t think resigning him was or is in the plan.

Maybe not. But I don't think Xhekaj staying in the Habs' lineup was in the plan, either, for that matter.

Great management (whether hockey or business) adapts when there is more information available, rather than staying rigidly with a plan that was made under different circumstances. I have confidence in Hugo's decision-making, and I know that they have far more information available than we, or anyone outside the team, has access to.

6 hours ago, DON said:

Agree, but who knows, maybe Dvorak will be the contract to be traded away during the season and then sign Monahan to cheaper deal, if his skating is still good? May also depend on how Dach is looking come the new year.

Dvorak is signed until 2025 at a lower cap hit that Monahan. Also:

1. Caufield needs a new contract. 

2. The way Harris in playing, he is due for a raise next season,

3. Guhle to follow with a raise

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Dvorak is signed until 2025 at a lower cap hit that Monahan ...

Which is also why, if he plays well, he could fetch a very good return "in-season" despite not being a "rental"

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Dvorak is signed until 2025 at a lower cap hit that Monahan. 

SOOOooo Monahan is getting exact same salary in a new contract next year? 

I think you are wrong.

30 minutes ago, DON said:

SOOOooo Monahan is getting exact same salary in a new contract next year? 

I think you are wrong.

Probably, it depends how he will perform this spring and in the playoffs

if he stays with Montreal for the full year, he will get less because he will not have the numbers to backup the next contract 

One example is Kadri… there are others