October 22 - Canadiens vs Stars - 7:00 pm EDT

GHT120

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Thank you. Sending Sergachev for Drouin is water under the bridge. So are the draft picks we gave up for Dvorak. And the first-rounder that we received for taking Monahan's contract. And who drafted or traded for whom.

What matters is how they are playing today, and what their future potential is. (And, yes, their contracts.) And I fully expect that Hugo are smart enough managers to know that.

I don’t disagree on how they should be managed, but I do think the orignal cost impacts a FANS attitude towards a player

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t disagree on how they should be managed, but I do think the orignal cost impacts a FANS attitude towards a player

There is no question that the original cost plus salary does impact fans expectations and attitudes. If the Habs had acquired Drouin for nothing then expectations would be a lot lower. If he was making less money than expectations would be lower. I expect more from Hoffman because we signed him to that contract. He has also been a disappointment so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There is no question that the original cost plus salary does impact fans expectations and attitudes. If the Habs had acquired Drouin for nothing then expectations would be a lot lower. If he was making less money than expectations would be lower. I expect more from Hoffman because we signed him to that contract. He has also been a disappointment so far. 

good point

That is why Monahan and Dadonov may be viewed under the same lens:

Monahan is outperforming expectations, while Dadonov is where we expected him to be. Both contracts bog down Habs but but will be UFAs and may only bring a lasting return at the trade deadline 

9 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

good point

That is why Monahan and Dadonov may be viewed under the same lens:

Monahan is outperforming expectations, while Dadonov is where we expected him to be. Both contracts bog down Habs but but will be UFAs and may only bring a lasting return at the trade deadline 

The contract lens is a valid one: it's reasonable to expect the player to perform to that level, even if often many do not. The players looked for a big contract and committed to it, so they should also deliver.

However, in case of trades, whether we gave up a whack of first-round picks, a future hall of famer or a bag of pucks, the player has little to do with that trade, so we should not blame him for having been traded for X. Those decisions are between the GMs, not the players.

• Like 1