Price appreciation thread

hab29RETIRED

Not sure if there has already been one.

loved Price, even though I hated the contract we signed him to.

i think the clips from the 4-6 second mark, and the 3:14-3:34 mark in the video linked below, show the respect the opposition had for Price. How often does a player clap for a goalie, and give a tap to a goalie, for a save he just made on him DURING the game!  Particularly when that player is one of the greatest goal scorers ever!

I have massive respect for Carey Price. One of the top players at his position for a generation. The absolute backbone of the Montreal Canadiens during almost his entire time with us, who carried the team on his back year after year, and against the odds led us to the Cup Finals despite serious ongoing injuries.

He is a great Montreal Canadien. And not to bang the same drum over and over, but I believe he is the only player of the past 30 years worthy of having his number in the rafters.   

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have massive respect for Carey Price. One of the top players at his position for a generation. The absolute backbone of the Montreal Canadiens during almost his entire time with us, who carried the team on his back year after year, and against the odds led us to the Cup Finals despite serious ongoing injuries.

He is a great Montreal Canadien. And not to bang the same drum over and over, but I believe he is the only player of the past 30 years worthy of having his number in the rafters.   

I agree with everything you’ve said,  - but I hope that changes soon!

I think we all should feel similarly when it comes to….

1) The great admiration for Carey we should have.

2) The ominous feeling when it comes to the realization that we may not have a goalie of his caliber again for decades.

The thing is that I don’t think much of the fan base even feel the way I described. 

Many certainly took him for granted while we had him and even wanted him gone.

For me personally, it will be tough to move on. On one hand, we’ve already had some exciting performance by goalies in the 21st century outside of Price. Whether it be Jeff Hackett flying in the air to make a save, Jose Theodore standing on his head to defeat the Bruins, or Jaroslav Halak transforming into a stop sign for a couple of NHL rounds. However the truth remains that none of them were actually the best goalie in the world at any given point, and we have lost that. 

Here is to hoping that we will have another elite goaltender on the squad in the near future. However on a personal level, as I watch the game quietly in my living room, I will consistently be reminiscing about having Price in net, and comparing many of our future goalies to what we once had.

46 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I think we all should feel similarly when it comes to….

1) The great admiration for Carey we should have.

2) The ominous feeling when it comes to the realization that we may not have a goalie of his caliber again for decades.

The thing is that I don’t think much of the fan base even feel the way I described. 

Many certainly took him for granted while we had him and even wanted him gone.

For me personally, it will be tough to move on. On one hand, we’ve already had some exciting performance by goalies in the 21st century outside of Price. Whether it be Jeff Hackett flying in the air to make a save, Jose Theodore standing on his head to defeat the Bruins, or Jaroslav Halak transforming into a stop sign for a couple of NHL rounds. However the truth remains that none of them were actually the best goalie in the world at any given point, and we have lost that. 

Here is to hoping that we will have another elite goaltender on the squad in the near future. However on a personal level, as I watch the game quietly in my living room, I will consistently be reminiscing about having Price in net, and comparing many of our future goalies to what we once had.

Good post. I think you’re right…a lot of fans had greatness right in front of them and never really appreciated it. Part of it was that contract; but perhaps the biggest part is the “Patrick Roy” effect - the idea that, if you are actually a great goalie, then you carry any team, no matter how inept, to the Cup. The myth in this is that Roy’s 1986 and 1993 teams were immeasurably stronger than any team Price was given, with the possible except of 2014 and 2021. Fans also forget that Roy had sub-par years, including playoff years, on his c.v between 1986 and 1993. 

I expect that the passage of time will remove the fog and people will come to recognize what they had in Price all those years. The ovation at the home opener shows that a high percentage of fans already do.

19 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not sure if there has already been one.

loved Price, even though I hated the contract we signed him to.

i think the clips from the 4-6 second mark, and the 3:14-3:34 mark in the video linked below, show the respect the opposition had for Price. How often does a player clap for a goalie, and give a tap to a goalie, for a save he just made on him DURING the game!  Particularly when that player is one of the greatest goal scorers ever!

Funny thing about those acrobatic saves. Price certainly had that in his arsenal - he would deliver the huge, spectacular save when all seemed lost - but that’s not what I think about when I think of Price. What I think about is a goalie who barely had to move out there, who always seemed to be in the right position, two steps ahead of the play. I heard someone describe him on Vancouver radio as ‘the best technical goalie of his era’ and that seems about right. 

Also, I swear that Price at his absolute peak did something I’d never seen before - he would *systematically* control his rebounds in such a way as to direct them to his own players as they were launching a counter-offensive. The Habs around 2014 were a feared transition team, because of the double-whammy of Subban and Markov, but also because Price would actually use saves as a foundation for controlling the transition. That was nuts.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Funny thing about those acrobatic saves. Price certainly had that in his arsenal - he would deliver the huge, spectacular save when all seemed lost - but that’s not what I think about when I think of Price. What I think about is a goalie who barely had to move out there, who always seemed to be in the right position, two steps ahead of the play. I heard someone describe him on Vancouver radio as ‘the best technical goalie of his era’ and that seems about right. 

Also, I swear that Price at his absolute peak did something I’d never seen before - he would *systematically* control his rebounds in such a way as to direct them to his own players as they were launching a counter-offensive. The Habs around 2014 were a feared transition team, because of the double-whammy of Subban and Markov, but also because Price would actually use saves as a foundation for controlling the transition. That was nuts.

This is how I will always remember him. Not making the crazy Jonathan quick style save, but being perfectly positioned and so in tune to the play that he could steer pucks where he wanted. Steer it to Markov. Steer it to Subban. Don't  like the look of a play, seer it over the glass. His technical ability and lateral movement were almost robotic in efficiency. 

Aside from the player we lose, there's also the person we lose.  Maybe it's the small town bc connection. Of course we don't know him, but I feel like I know him. His support of first nations causes. His humility and what appears to be genuine honesty. I'm going to miss the person as much as I miss the player. It's a bit sad.

• Like 1

Way underplayed is the fact that Carey Price was the NHL’s first Indigenous superstar. I’m not sure why that has been so soft-pedalled; maybe Price himself declined to play it up. But certainly the few Indigenous folks I know are all keenly aware of it and proud of what he achieved - and rightly so.

44 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Way underplayed is the fact that Carey Price was the NHL’s first Indigenous superstar. I’m not sure why that has been so soft-pedalled; maybe Price himself declined to play it up. But certainly the few Indigenous folks I know are all keenly aware of it and proud of what he achieved - and rightly so.

First one? I don't know, I think Trottier qualified for superstar status in his time as well.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

First one? I don't know, I think Trottier qualified for superstar status in his time as well.

I don’t remember that ever being communicated as openly and I certainly don’t remember it being an important part of his public persona like it’s been for Price. 

41 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t remember that ever being communicated as openly and I certainly don’t remember it being an important part of his public persona like it’s been for Price. 

Different era ... it wasn't as "accepted" to discuss such things back then.

48 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Different era ... it wasn't as "accepted" to discuss such things back then.

Exactly! The only indigenous player I remember from the 70s/80s is Stan Jonathan, but it's clear now (with the help of the Internet) that there were others that just maintained a low profile.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Stroll down memory lane..kinda.

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/10/an-ode-to-carey-price/

Not the way a Lundqvist or Price would of liked to end careers, but one team whole career seems bit of an oddity theses days.

Great piece. As much as we’ve agonized over wretched first round drafting over the years, Gainey/Timmins absolutely crushed it with that pick - snagging one of two franchise players from that year. One shudders to think what the past 15 years would have been like if they’d listened to all the ‘experts’ clamouring for them to pick someone else.

I read an nhl.com article discussing how he changed goaltending. Young goalies watch him and try to mimick his efficiency of motion and demeanor. Even vets. The last Habs goalie to actually change the game was Roy. Plante before that. I want his number retired. Not honorary or whatever, but retired. One 80 point player in his entire career is a crazy stat.

16 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Great piece. As much as we’ve agonized over wretched first round drafting over the years, Gainey/Timmins absolutely crushed it with that pick - snagging one of two franchise players from that year. One shudders to think what the past 15 years would have been like if they’d listened to all the ‘experts’ clamouring for them to pick someone else.

What if we picked Kopitar?

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

What if we picked Kopitar?

Kopitar would have solved the endless C  by problem for sure. I doubt he could have carried the team on his back, giving them a chance to win every night, the way Price did for over a decade. 

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Kopitar would have solved the endless C  by problem for sure. I doubt he could have carried the team on his back, giving them a chance to win every night, the way Price did for over a decade. 

I still think a legit top centre, and legit top dman are more important to build a team than a goalie. 
only truly elite generational goalie to win a cup in what the last 15 years has been Vasilevskiy. All the other cup winners with perhaps the exception of the Canes, had an elite centre and dman. The Avs, Hawks, Kings, Pens, Blues, have all shown that you can win steady if not elite goaltending. If that bunch, in Quick only the kings had a goalie who was elite for at least a few years, but I see him more as a Jose Theadore, than a Carey Price. You can win with steady to good goaltending, but you can’t win without a stud T centre or D.

We’ve had elite goaltending and dmen, and haven’t been good enough. Even going back to the Roy we had Muller, Smith, Damphousse. With Price all we had was Pleks until  up front and Robinson/Chelios/Svoboda, and Desjardins/Schneider on the blue line, along with really good wingers.

with Price we had a mix of Markov, Subban, and Weber on the blueline, some decent wingers, but really new real dominant centre, until we got Suzuki for his last year - and only cup run. 

Lundquist and the rangers had the same issue, and they still had better centres than us.