Middleton - Spurgeon

Brodin - Addison

Merrill - Dumba

Fleury - Gustavsson

Starting F-line or D-pair in bold

Edited by alfredoh2009
updated
  • Upvote 2

• alfredoh2009 changed the title to November 1, 2002 - Canadiens at Wild @20h00 EST

Caufield on pace for 64 goals.

All goal scorers seem streaky and his scoring has to drop off at some point.

But, does 40 goals seem a reasonable guess?

i see no reason to think 50 is out of the question... he has excelled in scoring in every league he has ever played. All this while already showing in the 2021 playoffs and the 2nd half of last season and already this preseason and regular season that he has no problems finding twine and not only is he  good at scoring but elite!

52 i think or more

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

i see no reason to think 50 is out of the question... he has excelled in scoring in every league he has ever played. All this while already showing in the 2021 playoffs and the 2nd half of last season and already this preseason and regular season that he has no problems finding twine and not only is he  good at scoring but elite!

52 i think or more

52 ... this season?

Only way Caufield gets close to 50 this season is if they figure out the PP.  if he can pot 10-15 PPG, it’ll be reasonable to think he could come close to 50.  

The reality is he’ll be in the 35-40 goal range barring an injury that keeps him out for significant time.

Last year I got criticized heavily for stating that Caufield is someone I could always use in the same breath as Kessel and Matthews when it comes to goal scoring ability.

I still believe there’s a comparison to be made when it comes to scoring.

Kessel scored 36 goals in his third year and Matthews scored 37 (though he scored 40 in his rookie year). I think your answer is likely there.

Just so I can look back at the end of the year how many goals Caufield ends with I will predict:

Head: 36 Goals

Heart: 42 Goals

Another thing to consider (if one agrees with my Kessel and Matthews comparison) is that they only played roughly 70 games each those seasons I quoted.

Somewhat of a coincidence based on my “heart” prediction but over an 82 game season, they were on pace for about 42 goals had they played. 

To answer Don’s question, 40 goals is certainly in the realm of possibility.

16 hours ago, DON said:

Sounds good, but seems unlikely.

Why? 

Statistically since Feb of last year he is well over that pace including end of season/ preseason and start of this season.

Not to mention all previous seasons in all leagues point too him being an elite scorer.

On pace for +63 goals this season which is a continuation of end of last season with the promotion of St. Louis . He is also playing at a point a game pace for almost 50 games now with no signs of slowing down and instead is getting better. He could easily have 4/5 more goals  given his chances

He has outscored both Kessel and Matthews in US development. Broke NCAA records... what more does this guy need to do. He's a legit scorer and will be in the mix for the Richard barring injuries. 

36 goals is way to conservative!

52 minutes ago, DON said:

Wonder, has Slafkovsky been practicing on the PP unit?

I read he has been in every PP meeting since the start of the season. His usage will increase each game. Hopefully they can build on last games PP performance. Cause with an above avg PP this team can look very different in the standings.

I do like pitlick on a line with Evans and Slav alot mire then Pezetta...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Guhle/Xhekaj play game #10 today, not sure if very meaningful # or not? "Burn" a year, or something maybe?

Both are 20 years old.  There is no meaning to their 10th game.  They burn a year regardless. 

Slafkovsky is the only current roster player where 10 games matters. 

5 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

On pace for +63 goals this season which is a continuation of end of last season with the promotion of St. Louis . He is also playing at a point a game pace for almost 50 games now with no signs of slowing down and instead is getting better. He could easily have 4/5 more goals  given his chances

His shooting percentage is at .226, which is likely not sustainable.

40 seems realistic for Caufield. 

In order to get 50, the Habs PP must be much better than its been the last few years. He isn't going to get to 50 without a bunch of PP goals, hardly anyone does.  Getting those big totals means you need to have a lot of PP and ES goals.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Both are 20 years old.  There is no meaning to their 10th game.  They burn a year regardless. 

Slafkovsky is the only current roster player where 10 games matters. 

I didn't know that.  Thanks 

Interesting, I wasn't aware that being 20 mattered. 

5 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

He has outscored both Kessel and Matthews in US development. Broke NCAA records... what more does this guy need to do. He's a legit scorer and will be in the mix for the Richard barring injuries. 

36 goals is way to conservative!

I fully agree.  You forgot to mention OV and that Cole beat his U20 Russia goals too.  OV and Mathews have both scored 60 in the NHL so I assume that Cole should eventually become the 3rd Habs to score 60 and he'll set a new team record.  I think Cole will get 45+ g this year. 

5 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Interesting, I wasn't aware that being 20 mattered. 

I fully agree.  You forgot to mention OV and that Cole beat his U20 Russia goals too.  OV and Mathews have both scored 60 in the NHL so I assume that Cole should eventually become the 3rd Habs to score 60 and he'll set a new team record.  I think Cole will get 45+ g this year. 

You only get to push the contract back when they are teenagers. 

Once they are 20, the three year deal starts regardless if they are AHL or NHL.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

You only get to push the contract back when they are teenagers.

Just to add to this for informational purposes, Xhekaj burned the first year of his contract last season as a 20-year-old as he was too old to have his deal slide even while in junior.

• dlbalr changed the title to November 1, 2022 - Canadiens at Wild @20h00 EST

Marty not loving the press as much today.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-canadiens-numbers-game-points-to-departure-for-dadonov

When head coach Martin St. Louis was asked a few questions about Dadonov after Monday’s practice, he lost his patience with reporters for the first time since taking over the team in February.

“Listen, boys, he wasn’t on the ice today,” St. Louis said. “Chantal told you (why). So stop.”

When asked if something had happened to Dadonov between Saturday and Monday that prevented him from practising, St. Louis said: “I don’t know. He wasn’t ready to practise today.