November 1, 2022 - Canadiens at Wild @20h00 EST

alfredoh2009

@dlbalr Last game you said a coaches challenge couldn't be used for a high stick and the refs announced it wrong.  Habs are challenging this goal for a high stick?

Also, when did a high stick change from crossbar to shoulder?  Or does that only apply if the high stick is on the goal, not an assist?

Oh, I know it's not the same thing. And running into the goalie should be a penalty. But the goalies putting the paddle of the stick out and drawing a penalty -- I'd prefer for that not to get called.

Just now, tomh009 said:

A nice slide to block the pass by Savard. Alas, Guhle was nowhere near Rossi.

David making lots of good defensive plays this season ... he may not be a Top 4 on a legit Cup contender but he is showing he is not just the 3rd pairing guy that many felt he was.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

David making lots of good defensive plays this season ... he may not be a Top 4 on a legit Cup contender but he is showing he is not just the 3rd pairing guy that many felt he was.

Yeah. I thought he looked a bit shaky in the first few games but he has settled down nicely.

7 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

That's gotta  be above the bar

The puck was put in the net by Kaprizov ... Rossi touching he puck is a simple high stick question, which is measured against the shoulder, not the crossbar.

EDIT: Hope MSL et al realized that when they challenged

8 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

@dlbalr Last game you said a coaches challenge couldn't be used for a high stick and the refs announced it wrong.  Habs are challenging this goal for a high stick?

Also, when did a high stick change from crossbar to shoulder?  Or does that only apply if the high stick is on the goal, not an assist?

When the review started I thought at least they wont get a penalty when it ends.  

I believe you're right with the high stick being shoulder if not on goal.  

8 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

There's a subtle difference.  Let's break out the rulebook.

Last game, the review was on a high stick that directly led to a goal.  That's not a challenge as it falls under league review (37.3).  Following section 38.3, there's this:

If a team requests a Coach’s Challenge but Video Review under Rule 37 renders such Challenge unnecessary, then the Challenge will have been deemed not to have been made.

St. Louis asked for a review on a non-reviewable play so the above applied and washed out the challenge.

Tonight, the puck didn't go in off the high stick.  It was knocked down and then Kaprizov put it in.  That is a challenge for the following (38.2):

Missed Game Stoppage Event in the Offensive Zone Leading to a Goal – A play that results in a “GOAL” call on the ice where the defending team claims that the play should have been stopped by reason of any play occurring in the offensive zone that should have resulted in a play stoppage caused by the attacking team but did not;

Since it didn't go in off Rossi's stick directly, the different rule applies.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The puck was put in the net by Kaprizov ... Rossi touching he puck is a simple high stick question, which is measured against the shoulder, not the crossbar.

EDIT: Hope MSL et al realized that when they challenged

When it happened I had totally forgotten that rule.  It didn't go directly in like it needs to in order to not get a penalty for losing the review.  

Marty might have screwed that up.  

27 shots but most of them are from the outside, there have only been a handful in front of the net -- where the Wild have scored all three of their goals. Unless he just doesn't see the shot, MAF won't give up many goals on shots well to the outside.

What was Monahan doing on that open net goal?  I'm certainly glad that it was him and not Guhle or Harris though.  

Oh no, Slaf went hard into the boards.

I would have preferred for WiFi to hit somebody really hard to get another Wild player to come over to him to get beaten up.  

5 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Slafkovsky looked awkward on that hit and I’m not sure what he was doing. 

I've often thought that Slaf looks like a fall down.  I don't mean that he can't skate, but it seems like he is way to easy to push over.  For his size and strength that shouldn't be easy to do and he seems to fall over a lot. 

I'd have him do drills and skate with the puck and go around pylons etc and have WiFi and Anderson without sticks just there to shove him every once in a while.  I'd also have them clutching and grabbing Slaf along the boards so he learns how to power through to get by.  

It seems that he plays too loosely as if his muscles aren't engaged.  ex:  if someone put their hand on your shoulder and pushed a bit, if your loose your shoulder will go back.  Slaf doesn't need to be constantly flexed, but his muscles need to be engaged so if someone pushes him he isnt easily moved.     

Watched in PVR, good game by Fleury and Kaprizov

I liked Dach on the top line, in the PP in the third they were

clicking. 
Slafkovsky skated into Fleury earlier and he got shoved to the boards late in the game. Evans should not be the one fighting for him, with his history of concussions

On RDS, they showed how MIN plays the trap and how the Habs did not adjust after the loss in Montreal. The Habs kept Turning over the puck at their blue line, they could not generate offense without controlled entries 

Allen cough up the puck in the first goal and was not super human.

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I've often thought that Slaf looks like a fall down.  I don't mean that he can't skate, but it seems like he is way to easy to push over.  For his size and strength that shouldn't be easy to do and he seems to fall over a lot. 

I'd have him do drills and skate with the puck and go around pylons etc and have WiFi and Anderson without sticks just there to shove him every once in a while.  I'd also have them clutching and grabbing Slaf along the boards so he learns how to power through to get by.  

It seems that he plays too loosely as if his muscles aren't engaged.  ex:  if someone put their hand on your shoulder and pushed a bit, if your loose your shoulder will go back.  Slaf doesn't need to be constantly flexed, but his muscles need to be engaged so if someone pushes him he isnt easily moved.     

It was a dirty hit, but I don’t like that Slaf already had one minor injury and now possibly has a concussion, based on his reaction to the hit. I keep saying this…he should be in the AHL learning the North American game. There is absolutely zero downside to doing that, while the downsides to having him in the NHL too soon are well-documented.