keep Slafkovsky at NHL level or send him to Laval?

alfredoh2009

Slafkovsky has played 7 games: 5 shots, 2 goals, 0 assists, ATOI 11.26 minutes. His 2 points are on par with Drouin and Hoffman.

Looking at the next 10 games, I was wondering which games he plays before being sent down. But then I thought it would be fun to ask the forum:

=> I would play him in the next two home games , then send him down

image.png

2 forwards needs to go, at some point.

He is getting about 15 shifts/game and am sure his game is being scrutinized every which way they can think of.

But, i dont have a clue if or when he will be sent to Laval.:spamafote:

My vote is send him to Laval. 

While he is improving at the NHL level and he does so every game, Slafkovsky is missing a key part of the game completely. 

Slafkovsky has no awareness or engagement whatsoever in the physicality realm. A key and basic hockey skill learned easily on North American ice was not part of the larger ice. 

This is a fundamental skill and Slafkovsky is at level 0 currently. Let him play a year in Laval and learn how to hit and be hit and how to keep your head up or else. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Neech said:

He could definitely use a month or two in the minors, if not a whole year. His game is so raw, we'll have to wait a few years to see if we made a good choice at #1.

I think you’re touching on a very valuable point that us armchair GMs may be overlooking.  He’s going to the AHL, no the CHL, so he isn’t lost for the entire year.  Get him down playing more minutes and in a bigger role.  Clear the logjam of forwards and call him back up.

21 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Get him down playing more minutes and in a bigger role.  Clear the logjam of forwards and call him back up.

Sounds like Hughes is actively looking to deal away a forward, Matheson is awhile away yet. Is there any real hurry or need to send him to Laval?

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/11/03/canadiens-trade-rumours-hoffman-dadonov-drouin-capitals-habs/

Let him play on the first line and get 20 minutes a game in Laval. 

Heck I'd use him in all situations in Laval, including killing penalties, which would only help his two way game going forward.  Not saying his two-way game is bad, but that there is always opportunity for improvement. 

Imagine him and Beck combining into an elite two-way unit in 4 or 5 years, while Suzuki/Caufield are bringing the offense. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DON said:

... Is there any real hurry or need to send him to Laval?  ...

Perhaps not roster-wise ... the question is whether it would be best for his development ... especially since he could be recalled if he dominates for a good stretch.

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Perhaps not roster-wise ... the question is whether it would be best for his development ... especially since he could be recalled if he dominates for a good stretch.

Surely between ; Gorton/Hughes/St Louis/Ramage/Lapointe/Bobrov/Lecavalier/etc...that they have some idea what has worked and not worked in the past.

I think AHL time wouldnt hurt a bit, but maybe 15 shifts/game with Habs is "enough" for now?

1 minute ago, DON said:

Surely between ; Gorton/Hughes/St Louis/Ramage/Lapointe/Bobrov/Lecavalier/etc...that they have some idea what has worked and not worked in the past.

I think AHL time wouldnt hurt a bit, but maybe 15 shifts/game with Habs is "enough" for now?

I am a proponent of the benefits of players dominating before moving up ... he showed potential but wasn't dominant last season in SM-Liiga ... thus my preference for a good stretch in Laval ... but only time will tell

Next game in Laval or NHL?

It seems almost certain at this point they will keep him. I have been uncertain on this one, don't like burning a year of his ELC but hopefully the Habs brass know what they are doing.  He is more mature than the average 18 year old and has looked really good at times but he is still only 18.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Next game in Laval or NHL?

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It seems almost certain at this point they will keep him. I have been uncertain on this one, don't like burning a year of his ELC but hopefully the Habs brass know what they are doing.  He is more mature than the average 18 year old and has looked really good at times but he is still only 18.

At this point, even if they were to send him to Laval it seems doubtful he would not return at some point and burn the ELC year ... I don't think the ELC has ever been a prime consideration ... now the number to seriously consider is 40 games ... as being on the roster (not necessarily played), or IR I believe, for that number of games constitutes an "accrued season" for free agency purposes.

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

At this point, even if they were to send him to Laval it seems doubtful he would not return at some point and burn the ELC year ... I don't think the ELC has ever been a prime consideration ... now the number to seriously consider is 40 games ... as being on the roster (not necessarily played), or IR I believe, for that number of games constitutes an "accrued season" for free agency purposes.

Agreed.

We’ve heard Hughes say the priority is development. He’s been good so far so I’ll trust him to make the right choice. Slaf has scored the occasional goal and looks good in bursts, invisible other times, but I certainly wouldn’t say he’s getting nothing at the NHL level. He’s improving

still, I think a ton of icetime in Laval could be helpful personally

1 hour ago, DON said:

No, alongside #14 & #22

that is not happening. They are arguably the hottest line in hockey right now. Why would we change that? and with Hoffman having some recent scoring success on the dvorak line the only other choice would be to put him back on the 4th with Armia and Evans and move Drouin up or put Slav with Mona and Ander... i would love to see the new lines but figure he draws back in on the 4th where he left

23 minutes ago, Commandant said:

No reason to change the line.  Leave Dach there.

100%. Dach’s development is almost as important organizationally as Slaf’s, and he looks to be blossoming. Why mess with that??

I continue to advocate for Slaf to be sent down and learn how to dominate the North America professional game, but have grown resigned to the probability that management disagrees. 

• Like 1