Montreal at Winnipeg 8pm est

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Dubois would really help us with that. He looks great out there. 

Maybe Dvorak turns into PLD in two years 

Dvorak is actually older than Dubois (by 2 years, 4 months) ... virtually the same number of games played (PLD 370, CD 368) but PLD has 24 more goals and 38 more assists)

Just now, GHT120 said:

Dvorak is actually older than Dubois (by 2 years, 4 months) ... virtually the same number of games played (PLD 370, CD 368) but PLD has 24 more goals and 38 more assists)

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Perchance you meant to say Dach? :)

THAT would make more sense.

Habs and Samuel somewhat lucky that Scheifele was taking a break leaning against the boards on that puck that was lying in the crease behind Montembeault, in the 3rd period.

EDIT: And now again that SM deflected Schiefele's shot into the netting when he lost his stick

EDIT2: But not on Conner's shot

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Habs and Samuel somewhat lucky that Scheifele was taking a break leaning against the boards on that puck that was lying in the crease behind Montembeault

A beauty save on Scheifele in OT, no luck needed on that one though.

Just now, tomh009 said:

A beauty save on Scheifele in OT, no luck needed on that one though.

Great save ... the luck was that the puck went out of play while SM's stick was in the corner

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Maybe 🤔 

I’m thinking Dach is going to put up points on Suzuki’s wing and stay there.  At least that line looks really good so far

Indeed. And with the jets paying close attention to Caufield, that leaves more room for Dach.

9 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Well I sure as hell didn’t expect Xhekaj to play on the right!

I'm loving it though because it seems like they realize they need WiFi to be playing.  I'd play him all year and 20+ mins/gm.  The ironic thing is that quite a few people that will disagree deep down know that I'm right.  i.e. the people that say "its a long season, they will get tired/burn out, cant play whole season" etc.  1 of the 4 rookie dmen will get a lot of icetime and those comments apply to Kovacevic, Harris, and Ghule.  WiFi is the 1 who can handle the physicality of it.  He also needs the experience more and he'll get that by playing a lot in the NHL than AHL.

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

f*ch, yeah! They are managing the lineup like I would on a game console! I like it :)

Hahaha. 

D'oh, I wanted Monty to get the win.  I was going to say at the end of the 2nd that he wasn't letting in another goal.  I want to see him play 50+ gms this year just to see how he would do.  Can he play that many games and get his gaa to around 2?  If Price is done, the Habs need to figure out if they need to target a ufa goalie in the off season, or not. 

:ph34r::nuts::ph34r::nuts::ph34r::nuts::ph34r::nuts::ph34r::nuts::ph34r::nuts:

fun loss, despite getting a point. Habs competed and made it entertaining

* Montembeault was great

* Edmundson looked good

* Xhekaj didn;t look out of place on his off side

* Suzuki, Caufield and Dach played great

* despite all the criticism, I thought that Monahan and Drouin had a good game but couldn't finish. Anderson had flashes too

* Gallagher saved his line from being MIA

too bad for the looser point, makes it harder to tank

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

fun loss, despite getting a point. Habs competed and made it entertaining

* Montembeault was great

* Edmundson looked good

* Xhekaj didn;t look out of place on his off side

* Suzuki, Caufield and Dach played great

* despite all the criticism, I thought that Monahan and Drouin had a good game but couldn't finish. Anderson had flashes too

* Gallagher saved his line from being MIA

too bad for the looser point, makes it harder to tank

All of this is completely true. 

Drouin has looked really good for a few games now. I think Armia is offensively dragging that line down. 

One big change from last year is that our goaltending has been stellar. Montembault looks very good and so does Allen. 

This team is fun to watch 

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

All of this is completely true. 

Drouin has looked really good for a few games now. I think Armia is offensively dragging that line down. 

One big change from last year is that our goaltending has been stellar. Montembault looks very good and so does Allen. 

This team is fun to watch 

I have been pleasantly VERY surprised by Montembault. Having said

goalies are weird and are a lot harder to project their future, and the timelines for maturity vary and are at a different pace from other positional players. So who knows, maybe he is a legit longer term option, but I’d like to see a much larger sample size before considering him a viable long term backup option.

we’ve seen young guys like The net detective win the Calder/Vezina and than flame out, and we’ve seen seemingly washed out wing nuts like Thomas win Vezinas. 

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I have been pleasantly VERY surprised by Montembault. Having said

goalies are weird and are a lot harder to project their future, and the timelines for maturity vary and are at a different pace from other positional players. So who knows, maybe he is a legit longer term option, but I’d like to see a much larger sample size before considering him a viable long term backup option.

we’ve seen young guys like The net detective win the Calder/Vezina and than flame out, and we’ve seen seemingly washed out wing nuts like Thomas win Vezinas. 

Agree - but the whole idea that “goaltending is voodoo” works in Montembault’s favour. He has been universally pegged as a borderline guy, probably not a legit NHL goalie. But if goaltending is voodoo, then there is no reason to suppose that he cannot start putting it together. Also in his favour is that he’s a big guy and big goalies often take longer to get a solid game in place. Jakob Markstrom is a classic case of a late blooming G with size.

He has been stellar recently and, while I’m not banking on this, I hope it continues.  

Oh, on another note: I think the NHL should do away with any form of video review for goalie interference. 

There is absolutely no coherence or consistency as to what constitutes goalie interference. Going to review has done nothing whatsoever to eliminate this inconsistency. Since the call or non-call on the ice is no more or less random than what the review produces, all a review does is slow the game down pointlessly. Therefore, just let the referee make the call and move along.

13 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm loving it though because it seems like they realize they need WiFi to be playing.  I'd play him all year and 20+ mins/gm.  The ironic thing is that quite a few people that will disagree deep down know that I'm right.  i.e. the people that say "its a long season, they will get tired/burn out, cant play whole season" etc.  1 of the 4 rookie dmen will get a lot of icetime and those comments apply to Kovacevic, Harris, and Ghule.  WiFi is the 1 who can handle the physicality of it.  He also needs the experience more and he'll get that by playing a lot in the NHL than AHL.

I'm one of those people that has talked about the burnout with regards to Slafkovsky, an 18-year-old in his first season in North America that hasn't had a true full season under his belt.  Xhekaj is 21 with a true full season under his belt.  They're not remotely comparable from that perspective.

Any concerns I have about Xhekaj being in the NHL has nothing to do with load management but rather an opportunity for him to further develop his all-around game.  He showed some offensive skills in junior last year but he's not going to get that opportunity with Montreal where he has basically been typecast as the third pairing hitter and yesterday's ugly showing early on showed he's not ready to handle being an RD in the NHL.  Yes, he can hold his own on the third pairing (I think he has struggled more than some want to admit in terms of getting beat with speed and being too slow to react) and certainly isn't remotely ready for 20-plus minutes.  From a development perspective, I want him getting plenty of puck touches and high minutes.  The only spot that this will happen in is Laval as this coaching staff isn't giving him 20+ a night.

As for Xhekaj being the only one that could handle the physicality of a full season, I'd also say that Guhle is more than capable of it.  Kovacevic has a full AHL year under his belt where he played nearly 22 minutes a night so yes, he can withstand the trials and tribulations of a full season as well. 

31 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

(I think he has struggled more than some want to admit in terms of getting beat with speed and being too slow to react) 

I have noticed this as well. I was going to mention it during the wild game. I think he needs to go down. Of the 3 rookie defense, Harris has impressed me the most. He consistently makes smart plays in his own zone. 

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m all for sending Xhekaj down and it would be ideal if Slafkovsky joined him. Xhekaj can protect Slafkovsky in Laval while they both play tons of minutes. 

Wouldnt hurt for him to go to Laval.

Is it me, or has Guhle been run over at least a dozen times with bone crunching hits, in his attempt to take a hit to make a play? Where as Harris seems more aware or less willing (smarter maybe) to not put himself in those situations?

15 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Perchance you meant to say Dach? :)

Dach is looking awfully good on RW, and seems the perfect fit with Suzuki/Caufield.  

I think he's probably more valuable as a second line centre, but if he can't fix the faceoff issue, he will still be a valuable winger.  It looks an awesome trade right now. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hahaha. 

D'oh, I wanted Monty to get the win.  I was going to say at the end of the 2nd that he wasn't letting in another goal.  I want to see him play 50+ gms this year just to see how he would do.  Can he play that many games and get his gaa to around 2?  If Price is done, the Habs need to figure out if they need to target a ufa goalie in the off season, or not. 

Guhle is easily the best of the defenders.   Harris has also been well ahead of Xhekaj.

I wonder how Barron is doing in Laval and if it makes sense to switch them as they could really use a Righty.  This may be moot when Matheson comes back though as they can send Xhekaj down without needing to call anyone up. 

Xhekaj is not playing that well.  The High Danger scoring chances when he is on the ice is very high and shows he is not capable of playing 20 minutes a game.