GAME#12 Habs vs Vegas 7pm November 5 2022

DON

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

But it wasn't called as fighting so it won't be subject to that rule; the league can't go back and change the call from roughing to fighting to then apply the rule.

For the life of me, I can't seem to find a current NHL rulebook on google.  The best I can do is the 21-22 rulebook, but it doesn't seem to have the Emery rule in it or I'm not sure where to look.  The aggressor rule is supposed to have a section about unwilling participants and suspensions.  It would seem very silly for the rule to be predicated on the call on the ice being fighting to invoke the rule, as most other fine/suspension rules don't depend on the call on the ice at the time.

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I couldn’t watch this one…what happened in the 3rd, with VGK scoring four?!?

Habs were competitive in the third unlike the second period but Vegas scored three quick goals. 

I think Harris misplayed a 2 on 1

Bad play and communication by Xhekaj and Wideman right in the slot

Second bad give away by Edmundson of the game.

At the end of the day the Habs had some defensive breakdowns and Vegas made us pay. 

Allen was outstanding despite the score

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah Dach is miles beyond KK. 

Dach’s skill and hockey IQ are top notch. I’m really impressed with every area of his game 

Early days, but given the irrational way the Hawks were blowing up their young core, I thought there was a reasonable hope that Dach could prove to be a canny acquisition. Let’s hope this great play continues (we should remember that KK had little hot spells, and everyone gushed over him when he did, just like we’re now doing over Dach). 

I love that MSL is putting the kid in a position to succeed, playing him with emerging all-stars Suzuki and Caufield. On the other hand, there is a slightly bittersweet aspect to the fact that he is suddenly exploding at W. If he turns out to be better positioned as a winger than a C, then the rebuild will still have a structural hole at C. But that is a quibble; the main thing is that Dach start to deliver on the potential that led to him being a #3 overall pick.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Habs were competitive in the third unlike the second period but Vegas scored three quick goals. 

I think Harris misplayed a 2 on 1

Bad play and communication by Xhekaj and Wideman right in the slot

Second bad give away by Edmundson of the game.

At the end of the day the Habs had some defensive breakdowns and Vegas made us pay. 

Allen was outstanding despite the score

Thanks. Sounds like we were victimized by our problematic D. I suspect there will be many more nights like that. 

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Thanks. Sounds like we were victimized by our problematic D. I suspect there will be many more nights like that. 

I think the D was mostly OK, but still young and outmatched by the LV offence. Edmundson made a nice pass that led to a goal but made two mistakes that led to Vegas goals. Savard and Guhle were solid. Harris couldn't block the pass on the two-on-one, but I think he played it right, it just didn't work this time.

Allen was superb in the second when Vegas was pressing hard, not quite as good in the third.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think the D was mostly OK, but still young and outmatched by the LV offence. Edmundson made a nice pass that led to a goal but made two mistakes that led to Vegas goals. Savard and Guhle were solid. Harris couldn't block the pass on the two-on-one, but I think he played it right, it just didn't work this time.

Allen was superb in the second when Vegas was pressing hard, not quite as good in the third.

I think Harris backed up way too far before making a stick move to engage the shooter. 

I don’t think Harris committed to blocking the pass or shot, he just stayed in the middle until he was on top of Allen. 

I think he had opportunities to step into the shooter once they passed the hash marks. 

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

It was not called as fighting because ... Anderson didn't fight back? It boggles the mind.

I think it worked out as best as it could for Habs. And in scrums guys toss the odd punch once in a while and just get roughing calls, was quite insignificant compared to the horrible hit by Anderson, uncalled for and hope is suspended.

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/11/habs-put-up-a-fight-but-fall-6-4-to-vegas/

How is that new 1st line doing with Dach?

35 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

intial thought was pietrangelo pulled up and showed the numbers but anderson definitely had time to avoid the hit from behind...

I agree that he did turn his numbers but Anderson had plenty of time to change his hit. 

I expect one game suspension. Pietrangelo did jump up right away but his face was bloody and it was dangerous as hell. 

Anderson screwed up 

11 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

For the life of me, I can't seem to find a current NHL rulebook on google.  The best I can do is the 21-22 rulebook, but it doesn't seem to have the Emery rule in it or I'm not sure where to look.  The aggressor rule is supposed to have a section about unwilling participants and suspensions.  It would seem very silly for the rule to be predicated on the call on the ice being fighting to invoke the rule, as most other fine/suspension rules don't depend on the call on the ice at the time.

Here's the current one: https://cms.nhl.bamgrid.com/images/assets/binary/335473802/binary-file/file.pdf

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I agree that he did turn his numbers but Anderson had plenty of time to change his hit. 

I expect one game suspension. Pietrangelo did jump up right away but his face was bloody and it was dangerous as hell. 

Anderson screwed up 

When Anderson first arrived, I remember a player on TO commenting that “he plays mean.”

I suspect Anderson does a lot of sh*t on the regular and is big and strong enough not to pay. In this case he obviously crossed the line. 

51 minutes ago, DON said:

I think it worked out as best as it could for Habs. And in scrums guys toss the odd punch once in a while and just get roughing calls, was quite insignificant compared to the horrible hit by Anderson, uncalled for and hope is suspended.

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/11/habs-put-up-a-fight-but-fall-6-4-to-vegas/

How is that new 1st line doing with Dach?

Imagine if we have a first line that generates 300 points a season. 

Holy hell we need some scoring from other lines though…

Its amazing how well Suzuki is playing at 23 years old! It’s also amazing that at age 23 Gretzky had 1000 points!

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Imagine if we have a first line that generates 300 points a season. 

Holy hell we need some scoring from other lines though…

Its amazing how well Suzuki is playing at 23 years old! It’s also amazing that at age 23 Gretzky had 1000 points!

Suzuki is blowing me away so far. We always knew he was good, the question was, how good? Right now he is both playing and producing like an elite #1C. Absolutely outstanding, sick skills, and he seems to be shifty enough to handle the physical side of things. Wonderful to see.

Ya, i think i might have underestimated Suzuki's game, he just seems such a smart player. 

Hope he has a huge year and his lil buddy keeps putting pucks on net.

Nice rush and pass by the young Guhle fellow to some other kid for nice goal, encouraging stuff for sure.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Early days, but given the irrational way the Hawks were blowing up their young core, I thought there was a reasonable hope that Dach could prove to be a canny acquisition. Let’s hope this great play continues (we should remember that KK had little hot spells, and everyone gushed over him when he did, just like we’re now doing over Dach). 

It's always good to keep some perspective and try to gain wisdom from the past, so I tend to agree with this point. There is not enough sample size for sure. I was prepared for disappointment with dach, but since training camp, I have liked what I've seen from him. I am hopeful that he can continue to develope and fill that 2c need in the future.

6 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I'm pretty happy with dach so far as well. I like him more than kk.

Yeah - I really like his vision, on some of the goals he setup. I’d be nice if he could be a solid 1A centre long term, but for now it would be awesome to have a PPG line, which we hadn’t had in I don’t know how long!  Hell i think we only had one PPG player in over 25 years!

2 hours ago, DON said:

Ya, i think i might have underestimated Suzuki's game, he just seems such a smart player. 

Hope he has a huge year and his lil buddy keeps putting pucks on net.

Nice rush and pass by the young Guhle fellow to some other kid for nice goal, encouraging stuff for sure.

Great rush and great pass for Guhle. Yesterday was as the best possible outcome I’d like to most of this season. Young guys produce and continue to improve, team plays hard, but we stay in the lottery.

if our D wasn’t so young and inexperienced, and we had at least one one legit top pairing dman, if the goaltending holds is like it has been, we could have been a wildcard/bubble team. 

I think last night our D was exposed for what it is. A lot of depth veterans and promising rookies. Both are going to be prone to make a lot of mistakes. Having said that, since day b think that Guhle can become that legit top pairing guy in a coupe of years and Harris a solid second pairing d, and wifi at the very least should be a solid bottom pairing guy. There was a reason for a lot of optimism. Just have to stay the course, move the wingers with expiring contracts at the deadline, and continue to accumulate and develop good prospects. Im really liking the job St. Louis is doing with the kids!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Suzuki is blowing me away so far. We always knew he was good, the question was, how good? Right now he is both playing and producing like an elite #1C. Absolutely outstanding, sick skills, and he seems to be shifty enough to handle the physical side of things. Wonderful to see.

He looks like he can be at least as good as Aho. It would be nice to see him maintain the PPG pace, but it’s still a long hard season.

30 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not surprised 

Since it is quick I assume it is by phone ... so 5 game MAXIMUM ... likely one, maybe two, unless he has a history