Rem Pitlick to be waived

alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Habs need to make a roster move to make room for Dadonov. 

To me this indicates that Slafkovsky isn’t going to Laval because that would have solved the problem 

I think the Habs are hoping that Pitlick clears but why not waive Dadonov? Are they hoping to trade Dadonov at the deadline?

Pitlick is small potatoes so no big deal but he has more value to me than Dadonov does. 

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think the Habs are hoping that Pitlick clears but why not waive Dadonov? Are they hoping to trade Dadonov at the deadline?

Pitlick is small potatoes so no big deal but he has more value to me than Dadonov does. 

Neither have trade value right now.  Who is likelier to have value at the trade deadline based on their career trajectories?  That would be Dadonov so he needs to be played in situations where he'll have a chance to get going and boost his value.

To further cover my comment above, this was from my piece on the site yesterday:

The underachieving veterans (particularly Evgenii Dadonov, Mike Hoffman, and Jonathan Drouin) have garnered most of the attention when it comes to struggles which has been great news for Rem Pitlick who has very quietly struggled this season.  He has yet to record a point, has been scratched five times already, and after saying he was going to make a point of shooting the puck more, he has done the complete opposite as he isn’t even attempting one per game.  That’s not exactly a compelling case to be in the lineup and at this point, I wonder if he could be a casualty of the numbers game instead of one of those veterans.

It’s notable that Pitlick’s cap hit ($1.1 million) is below the threshold that can be fully buried in the minors and I’m pretty sure that’s by design.  While Montreal deservedly rewarded him for the second half he had last season (even though it was almost certainly unsustainable), they wanted to make sure that if things went sideways, there wouldn’t be any lingering costs as there were with Jordan Weal a few years ago.  At this point, Pitlick is playing like the version of himself that got him waived multiple times last season.  From an asset perspective, what’s better for the Habs, playing him or someone that they might be able to flip closer to the trade deadline that has a longer track record?  I know I’d lean for the latter; frankly, getting Pitlick top-line minutes in Laval would be ideal in terms of trying to get him back on track.  Pitlick’s spot on the roster should be in some question at this point, here’s hoping he figures that out and can get back to being a positive contributor soon.  If he can’t do that, he shouldn’t be on the roster much longer.

He was absolutely horrid against Winnipeg - that was probably the final nail in the coffin.

The stats-savvy folks on this site (e.g., dlbalr and Commandant) were predicting heavy regression for Pitlick even when he was putting up great numbers last year. Hats off to them for calling this.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

To further cover my comment above, this was from my piece on the site yesterday:

I think it would be a great idea to start a pinned discussion thread about the site’s articles - including the article itself (link or text). 

I say this because I’m bookmarked to the forum and I often forget to visit the main page. 

There is always good stuff here like the article you posted. 

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think it would be a great idea to start a pinned discussion thread about the site’s articles - including the article itself (link or text). 

I say this because I’m bookmarked to the forum and I often forget to visit the main page. 

There is always good stuff here like the article you posted. 

I think it is up to us, the forum members, to start the thread for the articles. Like we do for GDTs

I do it from time to time, but not enough

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Neither have trade value right now.  Who is likelier to have value at the trade deadline based on their career trajectories?  That would be Dadonov so he needs to be played in situations where he'll have a chance to get going and boost his value.

So this is where the GM forces the head coach to play a player... simply to "try' and boost his stock value?

I am sure St Louis has little interest in trying to coach boat anchors like Hoffman-Dadonov- Drouin. 

I never was/am sure how much the GMs meddle in on-ice lineup and how much say the head coach actually has in who plays and who sits.

Or does the GM sit down with the coach and say "We need to play CULL-X player to try and boost his value, so you MUST slot him in somewhere!"

43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He was absolutely horrid against Winnipeg - that was probably the final nail in the coffin.

The stats-savvy folks on this site (e.g., dlbalr and Commandant) were predicting heavy regression for Pitlick even when he was putting up great numbers last year. Hats off to them for calling this.

His shooting percentage was off the charts, and he has only taken three shots this year, so scoring dropping makes sense. But as I recall he did have decent passing ability last year, and that, too, seems to have evaporated.

30 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

His shooting percentage was off the charts, and he has only taken three shots this year, so scoring dropping makes sense. But as I recall he did have decent passing ability last year, and that, too, seems to have evaporated.

I was thinking earlier this season how the new coaching philosophy would benefit talented high-IQ players at the detriment of bottom-6 players that need the coaching structure.

IMHO Pezzetta, Pitlick, Dvorak, Anderson, Armia, and anyone in Laval  will struggle in St-Louis' system where they may be fine if overcoached in a Julien/Ducharme system

Oh well, just hope he lights it up in Laval.

dlbalr calls another one correctly.

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/11/habs-waive-rem-pitlick/

Final Thought

"The underachieving veterans (particularly Evgenii Dadonov, Mike Hoffman, and Jonathan Drouin) have garnered most of the attention when it comes to struggles which has been great news for Rem Pitlick who has very quietly struggled this season.  He has yet to record a point, has been scratched five times already, and after saying he was going to make a point of shooting the puck more, he has done the complete opposite as he isn’t even attempting one per game.  That’s not exactly a compelling case to be in the lineup and at this point, I wonder if he could be a casualty of the numbers game instead of one of those veterans.

It’s notable that Pitlick’s cap hit ($1.1 million) is below the threshold that can be fully buried in the minors and I’m pretty sure that’s by design.  While Montreal deservedly rewarded him for the second half he had last season (even though it was almost certainly unsustainable), they wanted to make sure that if things went sideways, there wouldn’t be any lingering costs as there were with Jordan Weal a few years ago.  At this point, Pitlick is playing like the version of himself that got him waived multiple times last season.  From an asset perspective, what’s better for the Habs, playing him or someone that they might be able to flip closer to the trade deadline that has a longer track record?  I know I’d lean for the latter; frankly, getting Pitlick top-line minutes in Laval would be ideal in terms of trying to get him back on track.  Pitlick’s spot on the roster should be in some question at this point, here’s hoping he figures that out and can get back to being a positive contributor soon.  If he can’t do that, he shouldn’t be on the roster much longer."