Nov. 8, Habs vs Red Wings, 7 PM

dlbalr

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I really liked seeing Xhekaj deliver a solid check on 6'8 Soderblom. He has no fear.

Seven power plays for Detroit to one for the Habs. Uh huh.

I meant as a pair. I Like them both very much separately. Harris is a good fit on Edmundson’s right. 

Great snipes by Caufield and Suzuki in shootout. Too bad we won though

watched on PVR, and liked the production from the Hoffman (2g, 31s PP) - Dvorak (1a, 50%FO, 31s PP) - Gallagher (2a, 31s PP) line

I read before the game that DET had a big team. They have a few big players (Soderblom, 6'8") and the Kubalik - Copp - Perron overpowered the Habs; but the Habs managed them fairly well.

Allen stole the game, is it 4 games the goalies have stolen so far this season? It seems close to that number.

Monahan (-1, 45%FO, 1.29s PP) needs better wingers if the Habs want to maximize the return. Anderson is missed.

It is interesting how they distributed the load between Ds, PKs probably had a lot to do with that. It shows who they view as the most reliable defenders:

image.png

I assume wont be any hearing for Slafkovski for that dirty hit?

Was he just 'trying' to be more physical, as asked maybe?

5 shots for Gallagher & 4 for Caufield, i like to see that.:thumbs_up:

Drouin had some lazy (trying to be cute) turnovers in own end, but seemed were lots of sloppy plays form Habs in general. 

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Drouin had some lazy (trying to be cute) turnovers in own end, but seemed were lots of sloppy plays form Habs in general. 

His idiotic turnover early in the first led us to being pinnned in our own end for a full minute.  He brings nothing...it's time to stop dressing him.

5:20 on the PK for Monahan, nice.

Is Dadanov just a slow starter and hasnt had a chance yet to prove himself and just recovered from illness also i suppose?

But, he just seemed 1/2 a step too slow to every puck, also noticed in one scramble in front of net, he was only one in the scrum who didnt get a stick on or whack at puck.

Am sure St Louis dosent like dressing him but with Anderson out is an easy call of him over Pezzetta.

29 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

His idiotic turnover early in the first led us to being pinnned in our own end for a full minute.  He brings nothing...it's time to stop dressing him.

While I agree from a fan’s perspective he and Dadonov shouldn’t be dressed unless it’s necessary.  From the team’s perspective, both are on the final year of their contract, so they need them to do something to be able to trade them, and not dressing them hinders that.  Retaining 50% of their salary will make them borderline free for cap strapped contenders.  

19 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

While I agree from a fan’s perspective he and Dadonov shouldn’t be dressed unless it’s necessary.  From the team’s perspective, both are on the final year of their contract, so they need them to do something to be able to trade them, and not dressing them hinders that.  Retaining 50% of their salary will make them borderline free for cap strapped contenders.  

It seems Monahan is not as engaged physically as Dach, for a big forward. He is definitely not as physical as Anderson.

Monahan seems like a center version of Armia since he was moved from the Suzuki line.

For asset management, I need Monahan to get points, but if he continues to play with soft players, he will not get points... :spamafote: what will St-Louis do ? :spamafote:

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It seems Monahan is not as engaged physically as Dach, for a big forward. He is definitely not as physical as Anderson.

Monahan seems like a center version of Armia since he was moved from the Suzuki line.

For asset management, I need Monahan to get points, but if he continues to play with soft players, he will not get points... :spamafote: what will St-Louis do ? :spamafote:

I believe Monahan's lack of physicality could have something to do with a double hip surgery he had in the off season.   Although, I'm not sure how physical he was before the surgery. 

As for who he plays with, I think it's still in the figuring out stage, as bad as that sounds.  The Dach - Suzuki - Caufield line took awhile to come together.  I would like to see Anderson and Monahan together, rotating Gallagher/Hoffman.  Statistically Monahan is doing well with Anderson and Hoffman. 

Maybe not physical, but he's winning faceoffs:

• Dvorak 55.2%
  • Monahan 54.7%
  • Evans 53.4%
  • Suzuki 48.2%

This is actually quite respectable. But how many of these four centres will be with the Habs next year or the year after?

Maybe not physical, but he's winning faceoffs:

• Dvorak 55.2%
  • Monahan 54.7%
  • Evans 53.4%
  • Suzuki 48.2%

This is actually quite respectable. But how many of these four centres will be with the Habs next year or the year after?

Ironic that the best player by a country mile is the one with the lowest face winning percentage, while the guy is want to move the most is the one with the highest percentage.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Ironic that the best player by a country mile is the one with the lowest face winning percentage, while the guy is want to move the most is the one with the highest percentage.

The Habs have struggled with faceoffs for the past few years, and winning them now is not a bad thing. Even if you want to move Dvorak.

The Habs have struggled with faceoffs for the past few years, and winning them now is not a bad thing. Even if you want to move Dvorak.

Oh, I think we need to improve at faceoffs for sure. It just happens that the two centres I’d like to move for assets happen to be our best on the draw.

i don’t see Dvorak as a legit #2, and he make too much money as a #3. If we could get a good return for Dvorak, and Monohan wanted to stay, I’d rather keep him, but he’d probably want $6m with term - which would be another Gallagher situation. So I don’t think either are long term solutions as a #2 or #3 with us.

23 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Oh, I think we need to improve at faceoffs for sure. It just happens that the two centres I’d like to move for assets happen to be our best on the draw.

i don’t see Dvorak as a legit #2, and he make too much money as a #3. If we could get a good return for Dvorak, and Monohan wanted to stay, I’d rather keep him, but he’d probably want $6m with term - which would be another Gallagher situation. So I don’t think either are long term solutions as a #2 or #3 with us.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Monahan.  Luckily, he was a high enough pick and did well early in his career that he's made quite a bit of money so I think his contract asks with the Habs would be fairly reasonable.  If he'd sign for under 6 for 2-4 yrs I would bring him back.  Plus, after next year the Habs could have Dubois.  I'd like to see Monahan and Slaf on a line to see if they have any chemistry.  

I forgot to mention that I watched the Wings feed for this game and the 1 analyst is in his 70's and was very good and highly knowledgeable about the Habs and not just current but back to the 40's and 50's.  I didn't catch his name but figured he must have played for the Habs at 1 point so I had to look him up and he did, it was Mickey Redmond.