Nov. 15, Devils vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

14 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Smothered by devils 👿

And that's going to happen from time to time even to the best players. This is where the other lines need to step up their game.

22 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And that's going to happen from time to time even to the best players. This is where the other lines need to step up their game.

Hopefully Dadonov starts a scoring streak. 

I am actually surprised at the lack of productivity of both Dvorak and Monahan 

Well, we got the regulation loss. Would have been nice to pad the stats with that extended 6 on 5. I only caught the third, Slaf managed to get a shot attempt while I was watching and statline shows 4 shots so maybe it was a decent outing for him. Gally with an atrocious giveaway to lead to a Devils goal.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Lots of brutal giveaways due to horrendous passing. 

Ya, I'd say that was their main issue tonight.  Unfortunately, they reverted back to last years atrocious passing and moving the puck up ice and losing it style of play.  They've actually been fairly decent with getting the puck out of their zone and down ice up until this game. 

Allen did make some good saves but he let in some bad goals too so I want to see the full Monty!! 

We just looked like a way lessor team tonight. 

Gally looked horrible. Especially in the 3rd. 

Slaf was engaged and looked quicker than he has so far. 

Devils were probably the best team we’ve played so far this year. 

2 hours ago, Helmethead said:

We just looked like a way lessor team tonight. 

Gally looked horrible. Especially in the 3rd. 

Slaf was engaged and looked quicker than he has so far. 

Devils were probably the best team we’ve played so far this year. 

Slaf has incredible acceleration and top end speed. 230 lbs of rocket fuel 

Gallagher looked tired and injured again most of game, can’t see him last in FB much longer before injury.

Evans is admirable in that he works hard, but his 110% gets him to where a legit NHL’er would be at 90% effort.  
Up front the big problem is Dvorak provides no secondary offense, which is why I think the team

desperately needs a true top 6 centre to balance our focus on Suzuki, Dach is supposed to be that centre.

Dach played too much on the peripheral tonight.

All of the forwards blew the zone too quickly many times tonight, forcing dmen to try to pass through Devils players so I place a lot of blame on the fw group for turnovers as much as the dmen who made the passes.

Harris has regressed some in my eyes, twice in last two games he avoided taking contact instead of making a play on puck, I know he has to preserve himself as an undersized dman but also has to take the hit sometime, as we see Guhle do.  I see some of the shine coming off of him and believe Wifi deserves to stay up when Matheson is back and let Harris go down (or rotate Harros, Wifi, Kova) through so they play 2/3 of all games perhaps.

Devils are built to play like the Habs want to, but have the depth to actually sustain the attack all game. The Habs don’t have the depth up front (although the should given the payroll and pedigree) but that is the difference. Too many gaps up front and too many soft players.   Gally was easy to play against for a team like Devils, so was CC, Dvorak, Dach, etc.   They have a hard time containing big speed like Anderson but not enough other Habs bring that element.   Seeing as Dach doesn’t play that way, Monohan was rather invisible the only other player with size and speed was Slaf who actually took a davantage to some extent and had a decent game.

13 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Hopefully Dadonov starts a scoring streak. 

I am actually surprised at the lack of productivity of both Dvorak and Monahan 

good point, Habs need to bring Monahan’s value up. I hope they get him better wingers or put him in wing with a better chance to score 

49 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Gallagher looked tired and injured again most of game, can’t see him last in FB much longer before injury.

Evans is admirable in that he works hard, but his 110% gets him to where a legit NHL’er would be at 90% effort.  
Up front the big problem is Dvorak provides no secondary offense, which is why I think the team

desperately needs a true top 6 centre to balance our focus on Suzuki, Dach is supposed to be that centre.

All of the forwards blew the zone too quickly many times tonight, forcing dmen to try to pass through Devils players so I place a lot of blame on the fw group for turnovers as much as the dmen who made the passes.

Harris has regressed some in my eyes, twice in last two games he avoided taking contact instead of making a play on puck, I know he has to preserve himself as an undersized dman but also has to take the hit sometime, as we see Guhle do.  I see some of the shine coming off of him and believe Wifi deserves to stay up when Matheson is back and let Harris go down (or rotate Harros, Wifi, Kova) through so they play 2/3 of all games perhaps.

Devils are built to play like the Habs want to, but have the depth to actually sustain the attack all game. The Habs don’t have the depth up front (although the should given the payroll and pedigree) but that is the difference. Too many gaps up front and too many soft players.   Gally was easy to play against for a team like Devils, so was CC, Dvorak, Dach, etc.   They have a hard time containing big speed like Anderson but not enough other Habs bring that element.   Seeing as Dach doesn’t play that way, Monohan was rather invisible the only other player with size and speed was Slaf who actually took a davantage to some extent and had a decent game.

thanks, I listened on the radio and the description was not good. It was more or less like , good bass down the middle, shot goes wide, .. and other platitudes instead of a real play by play with players names , position on the ice when play happens 

I miss Dan Robertson and good old Dick Irving who where so detailed in their description 

I may have to switch to French play by play 

57 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

I believe the Habs are looking at two options for centre. 

The first option is a top 5 pick in this years draft. I believe there are 4 franchise centres available in the top 5 including of course a generational talent in Bedard. 

The other option is Dubois in 1.75 seasons from now. 

23 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The first option is a top 5 pick in this years draft. I believe there are 4 franchise centres available in the top 5 including of course a generational talent in Bedard. 

If Dach works out at C, that should give us the 1C/2C combination we need.

50 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If Dach works out at C, that should give us the 1C/2C combination we need.

Just don't force feed him at centre ... he is playing outstanding hockey with CC and NS ... let him build confidence in his game ... I might consider looking at him as a centre next training camp, but not before. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

good point, Habs need to bring Monahan’s value up. I hope they get him better wingers or put him in wing with a better chance to score 

It's also quite possible (if not probable) that Monahan isn't the top-line player he was in his heyday.  He's basically producing at the same rate as two years ago (0.56 points per game) before the hip trouble crept up.  I think this is just who he is now, more of a 2/3 guy.  There's no pumping up his value with better wingers to get him closer to a point per game, teams that want him at the deadline are going to want him for the 2/3 role (not a top guy) and offer accordingly.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not to get personal, but I believe that is what you are looking for the Habs to do, rather than what their actual “plan” is. 

I mean, I did not come here with an actual suggestion as to what their plan will be, but it is in my eyes much more likely that Dach gets placed in that role, rather than anything you suggested. 

I’d calm it down with 4 generational centers as well. Slafkovsky was a 1st overall pick and it’s not like he is coming in and destroying things in his first season. I understand that next year’s draft will be incrementally better, but I also realize that it is unlikely that any player drafted next year (outside of Bedard/Mitchkov) will have any type of major impact for a few years. 

2 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

... I’d calm it down with 4 generational centers as well ...

In fairness, he said four FRANCHISE centres. including one GENERATIONAL talent.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

In fairness, he said four FRANCHISE centres. including one GENERATIONAL talent.

I definitely misread that part so my mistake.

The point stands in a different way though, in that if they are organizational centers, they would be good enough to replace Suzuki on the first line within a few years. I’d be ecstatic if that were the case but I personally think there is generally a little too much naive enthusiasm when it comes to the potential of the unknown and future prospects jumping in to save the day. At some point, we need to utilize what we have, or know for sure. Otherwise we will always be a franchise looking to the future rather than competing in the now. 

With that being said, I don’t think the actual organization operates to such an extreme and so that is where the dichotomy that I was pointing out lays. 

20 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's also quite possible (if not probable) that Monahan isn't the top-line player he was in his heyday.  He's basically producing at the same rate as two years ago (0.56 points per game) before the hip trouble crept up.  I think this is just who he is now, more of a 2/3 guy.  There's no pumping up his value with better wingers to get him closer to a point per game, teams that want him at the deadline are going to want him for the 2/3 role (not a top guy) and offer accordingly.

it is looking more and more like that; but for the price paid, it should yield a good return

Just now, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I definitely misread that part so my mistake.

The point stands in a different way though, in that if they are organizational centers, they would be good enough to replace Suzuki on the first line within a few years. I’d be ecstatic if that were the case but I personally think there is generally a little too much naive enthusiasm when it comes to the potential of the unknown and future prospects jumping in to save the day. At some point, we need to utilize what we have, or know for sure. Otherwise we will always be a franchise looking to the future rather than competing in the now. 

With that being said, I don’t think the actual organization operates to such an extreme and so that is where the dichotomy that I was pointing out lays. 

True ... but neither should one set plans for next season in concrete until well into next summer.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Just don't force feed him at centre ... he is playing outstanding hockey with CC and NS ... let him build confidence in his game ... I might consider looking at him as a centre next training camp, but not before. 

Agreed, he has been great on that line and building confidence. If he is better on the wing then he is better on the wing, don't mess with a good thing just because we want another center. 

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Not to get personal, but I believe that is what you are looking for the Habs to do, rather than what their actual “plan” is. 

I mean, I did not come here with an actual suggestion as to what their plan will be, but it is in my eyes much more likely that Dach gets placed in that role, rather than anything you suggested. 

I’d calm it down with 4 generational centers as well. Slafkovsky was a 1st overall pick and it’s not like he is coming in and destroying things in his first season. I understand that next year’s draft will be incrementally better, but I also realize that it is unlikely that any player drafted next year (outside of Bedard/Mitchkov) will have any type of major impact for a few years. 

The next draft is supposed to be a hell of a lot more than just incrementally better. A top 8 next year could for sure bring a player that has a major role in his draft +1 year.