Jeff Gorton interview with Marinaro

Neech

Really enjoyed listening to Gorton here, he's a great speaker. Kudos to Molson for getting this guy to lead the rebuild.

An interesting tidbit from the interview: it sounds like they're targeting a midseason extension for Caufield. Gorton says 'maybe in a week, a month, or two months'.

• Upvote 1

Did he say anything else interesting?   I dislike Marinaro and will not (admittedly childish) watch/listen.

40 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Did he say anything else interesting?   I dislike Marinaro and will not (admittedly childish) watch/listen.

Basic stuff, just answered some good/standard questions.  e.g. Why was Suzuki named captain?, etc

Marinaro wasnt overbearing.

He had another one of these with some montreal insider, that was interesting as well.

19 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I’m with you there. He’s a complete clown, a blaring moron lacking any insight whatsoever, and it’s a long-running scandal that somehow this boob hosts the flagship show covering the greatest franchise in the history of the sport. I take it as one major symptom of the general decline of the Montreal anglophone community.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m with you there. He’s a complete clown, a blaring moron lacking any insight whatsoever, and it’s a long-running scandal that somehow this boob hosts the flagship show covering the greatest franchise in the history of the sport. I take it as one major symptom of the general decline of the Montreal anglophone community.

He is not on TSN anymore, he has a web podcast now 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Oh, that's good! Maybe I can try listening to TSN 690 again.

I used to just tune out from 10:00-1:00

19 hours ago, dlbalr said:

If anyone's interested, here's a Kent Hughes interview with Chris Nilan from a few days ago:

Nilan is awesome. Don’t support his political views when he goes on his rants. But much smarter than I thought he would be; and asks good questions. His podcasts are definitely on my can’t miss list!

More interested in what Hughes offered up or spoke to, than Nilan. But dont find Nilan a dummy at all and great to see him straighten out his life and get healthy.:thumbs_up:

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Nilan is awesome. Don’t support his political views when he goes on his rants. But much smarter than I thought he would be; and asks good questions. His podcasts are definitely on my can’t miss list!

I don’t follow his podcast, but I’m with you, both on rejecting his politics and on endorsing his worth as a commentator and overall awesome hockey guy. I bought my dad an 80th birthday greeting from Nilan via Memmo, and he did an absolutely fantastic job - took some time, shared his thoughts on aging, wished my dad well, and overall came off as authentic and engaged. (My favourite part was when he noted that my dad likes “old time hockey” and had a sh*t-eating grin and raised his first in the “punching” gesture). My father loved it of course.  A quality dude even if his politics are f***d up 👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There was talk of making this an interview thread, so here's a PK podcast interview with some former NFL players. He shines as a media natural of course, and most of it isn't that relevant to the Habs, but around the 50 minute mark he talks about the way Bergy handled the contract negotiations and the times he was struggling in Montreal.

• Upvote 1

Damn, that is a hideous jacket. And he is incoherent on Habs’ fans - in fact, Montrealers NEVER stopped coming to games as an expression of their “passion” - but he confirms what I always thought. MB’s decision to bridge him, and then take him to arbitration, drove him to take a hard line and insist on full market value rather than sign long-term at a reasonable rate. We could have signed him for significantly cheaper if the organization had embraced him rather than regard him a distasteful turd. Just terrible asset management by MB and that jackass Therrien. (Fortunately, we got Weber for him, and then got rescued from Weber’s insane contract by LTIR).

Fascinating to hear that he had a lot of anxiety during his years in Montreal and, quite reasonably, felt unfairly devalued. “Everything was about trying to get PK to come down.” Exactly. What is really interesting is that, while clearly the coaches were a problem, if you listen carefully, it was also some teammates. In fact, he mentions that he is quite happy in retirement because he was tired of that dynamic, so clearly he continued to face resentment from teammates after Montreal.

You never would have guessed that he was in a dark place as a Hab from his play on the ice.  All PK ever did was deliver great game, night in and night out. The rest was resentful old-school coaches and colleagues who didn’t like an uppity guy who “didn’t know his place.”

• Upvote 1

He was a one man team it seemed, dropping the gloves with different (all smaller) teammates at practice, was one pretty clear he was a goof, no?

Oddly, he didnt try that with Moan or any bigger forward, wonder why was that? Poor lil Gally, Pleky & DD just not intimidating enough i guess, or all three are goofs and PK was just being competitive at practice perhaps?

19 hours ago, DON said:

He was a one man team it seemed, dropping the gloves with different (all smaller) teammates at practice, was one pretty clear he was a goof, no?

Oddly, he didnt try that with Moan or any bigger forward, wonder why was that? Poor lil Gally, Pleky & DD just not intimidating enough i guess, or all three are goofs and PK was just being competitive at practice perhaps?

Why is it assumed that PK was the aggressor in that exchange? TBH based on what I know of the two men, Gally would be more likely to instigate. Or, perhaps he tried to carve PK with stickwork during scrimmage - not cool - and PK blew his top. In any case, I seriously doubt Gally was just standing there innocently reading the Anglican Book of Common Prayer when suddenly Subban assaulted the poor wee angel.

20 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

No love for PK from me.‘ liked him when he played here but he turn his coat as quickly as fnck when he left it when self serving 

Is rather have had him to the end of his contract than Gallagher.

On 1/6/2023 at 9:23 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Why is it assumed that PK was the aggressor in that exchange? TBH based on what I know of the two men, Gally would be more likely to instigate. Or, perhaps he tried to carve PK with stickwork during scrimmage - not cool - and PK blew his top. In any case, I seriously doubt Gally was just standing there innocently reading the Anglican Book of Common Prayer when suddenly Subban assaulted the poor wee angel.

I agree. I just listened to thr podcast yesterday and it made me even more mad at MB - which I didn’t think was possible.

On 1/6/2023 at 8:06 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

No love for PK from me.‘ liked him when he played here but he turn his coat as quickly as fnck when he left it when self serving 

He turned his coat on an organization that he didnt want to leave but traded him anyway and then leaked shit about him to the media?  Hes the guy you are upset at over that?