Could we end up with 5 first round picks next year?

REV-G

So for discussion sake, because we have many moving parts and possibilities over the next 7-8 months, and because we are clearly wanting to gather 1st round picks and or high quality prospects, I read a few things that caused me to wonder if there is a possibility that we could end up with 4 or even 5 first round picks in the next draft.

We currently have two first round picks and we've all read that if Sean Monahan keeps playing well and continues excelling at winning face-offs there is a very good possibility that he will moved and if he can be a solid second line centre on a team like the Avalanche, Montreal would likely get a first round pick. That would be three. 

I just read today that Kent Hughes has been getting calls on Joel Edmundson. If a contending team needs a solid top 4 defenceman, I would assume he would bring back another first round pick. With the number of young guys we have on D and with Savard and Matheson, and the fact that this year isn't all about winning but more about developing, I could see them making that move while his value is still high and his history with injuries. That would be four.

Then there's Dvorak and Josh Anderson. Would they move either one? I think they would get a first for Anderson, I don't know enough about Dvorak's value to be certain if he would bring back a first or not. I would think he would. 

I'm not sure any of us know if they want to move Anderson, but if a team is desperate and they come with a great offer, I could see it happening. 

I don't know about you but I'm finding this a fun year watching an exciting young team develop and grow and cheering for the young guys to do well and at the same time watching Hugo plan and trade and keep building a team for the future. Fun stuff. 

• REV-G changed the title to Could we end up with 5 first round picks next year?

Given his age, his contract, and the fact he has played well under MSL, I don't see the point of trading Dvorak unless someone massively overpays.   He's a solid #3 C who can be your #2 for stretches if you have injuries.

Monahan could be traded, or he could be re-signed and become the team's long term #2 C as well.  He's not old. It all depends on if he's willing to sign a reasonable deal. 

A trio up the middle of Suzuki - Monahan - Dvorak is not bad, and we have plenty of wingers.  Teh defense is going to be the longer term issue. 

• Upvote 2

I'd say no because ultimately I think that would be silly.  What they do at the trade deadline should be dependent on how many they are trading and where they finish and Florida too.  i.e.:  will their existing 2 picks be in the top 5, top 10, or top 15?  ex:  if they have 2 top 1-15 pics this year then its probably better to get 1st rnd pick in 2024 draft.  If they can trade more players for  1st rnd picks it would be a good idea to get the picks for 2025 and possibly even 2026. 

I'd say they currently have enough prospects that could be really good NHLers so it doens't make much sense for them to have 5 1st rnd picks in this draft.  They will end up with a log jam of prospects and/or will have way too many young rookies entering the NHL at the same time.  It would make more sense to offset new picks to later years. 

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'd say no because ultimately I think that would be silly.  What they do at the trade deadline should be dependent on how many they are trading and where they finish and Florida too.  i.e.:  will their existing 2 picks be in the top 5, top 10, or top 15?  ex:  if they have 2 top 1-15 pics this year then its probably better to get 1st rnd pick in 2024 draft.  If they can trade more players for  1st rnd picks it would be a good idea to get the picks for 2025 and possibly even 2026. 

I'd say they currently have enough prospects that could be really good NHLers so it doens't make much sense for them to have 5 1st rnd picks in this draft.  They will end up with a log jam of prospects and/or will have way too many young rookies entering the NHL at the same time.  It would make more sense to offset new picks to later years. 

Or at/near the draft they could use "extra" first rounders to either move up this season, "poach" high-end prospects further advanced towards the NHL in trades ... OR ... then trade for future firsts.

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

19 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Or at/near the draft they could use "extra" first rounders to either move up this season, "poach" high-end prospects further advanced towards the NHL in trades ... OR ... then trade for future firsts.

Both good points. At this point they need "high end" "elite" players.  Right now they have many good prospects, better to use extra picks to move up or use in later years as you don't want too many "good " prospects coming through at the same time. 

Even if have 3 1st round picks, i would assume 2 would be bundled to trade up, as they tried to do with 26 & 33 in last draft, or simply 1 of them traded away for a prospect.

4 hours ago, DON said:

Even if have 3 1st round picks, i would assume 2 would be bundled to trade up, as they tried to do with 26 & 33 in last draft, or simply 1 of them traded away for a prospect.

they will probably get a first for Monahan and a second from another trade. I would bundle Norlinder (if he improves in Laval) and a late 1st to go up in the first round like they did with Romanov