Game #21 - November 25, 2022 - Canadiens vs Blackhawks

GHT120

What idiot in marketing thought it was a good idea to use Armia rather than Dach for this?

• Upvote 2

nhl.com is projecting almost the same lineup as against the Blue Jackets, but with Pezzetta filling in for Hoffman. A second consecutive start for Montembeault?

Cole Caufield -- Nick Suzuki -- Kirby Dach

Juraj Slafkovsky -- Christian Dvorak -- Brendan Gallagher

Evgenii Dadonov -- Sean Monahan -- Josh Anderson

Michael Pezzetta -- Jake Evans -- Joel Armia

Kaiden Guhle -- David Savard

Mike Matheson -- Joel Edmundson

Arber Xhekaj -- Johnathan Kovacevic

Sam Montembeault

Jake Allen

Scratched: Jordan Harris, Chris Wideman

4 points game on the draft lottery ticket derby. I hope for:

1. an entertaining game

2. no injuries to our pending UFAS

3. another strong game by Monahan

4. Xhekaj forcing the Habs to send Harris to Laval

5. Slafkovsky forcing the Habs to send him down to Laval

Go, Habs! Go!!!

Let's rebuild the team with drafts of elite talent in 2023

I’m fortunate enough to be in attendance for this one!

Go Habs Go!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

5. Slafkovsky forcing the Habs to send him down to Laval

Had a dream last night (literally) that Kitchner fleeced Erie by trading a late 2025 pick for Slafkovsky's rights, the Habs loaned Juraj to Slovakia for the WJHC and then sent him to Kitchner for the rest of the season to dominate with Mesar ... who then also traded with Sudbury for Dalibor Dvorsky's rights and brought him over to complete the best line in the CHL admitedly (in conscious retrospect) I doubt that they could make the Dvorsky move in season).

13 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Is Montembault a long term solution for us? He has been outstanding all season 

Much too early to say, I think. Him turning into a #1 would have very long odds, being a decent backup or maybe a #1B is a more realistic hope. He's been about a .890 goalie in his NHL career, has he found a way to up his game? Coaching, training, mental approach or something else? We don't really have any insight into what might be different this season.

But only 7.333 games into his season so far, he may yet prove us all wrong, or flame out quickly.

Guhle playing right side with Edmundson? 

Montembault solid again and an entertaining period at least. 

39 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Much too early to say, I think. Him turning into a #1 would have very long odds, being a decent backup or maybe a #1B is a more realistic hope. He's been about a .890 goalie in his NHL career, has he found a way to up his game? Coaching, training, mental approach or something else? We don't really have any insight into what might be different this season.

But only 7.333 games into his season so far, he may yet prove us all wrong, or flame out quickly.

What a huge help it would be if Montembault has indeed “arrived” by whatever means. 

Let’s see how it goes 

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

nhl.com is projecting almost the same lineup as against the Blue Jackets, but with Pezzetta filling in for Hoffman. A second consecutive start for Montembeault?

Cole Caufield -- Nick Suzuki -- Kirby Dach

Juraj Slafkovsky -- Christian Dvorak -- Brendan Gallagher

Evgenii Dadonov -- Sean Monahan -- Josh Anderson

Michael Pezzetta -- Jake Evans -- Joel Armia

Kaiden Guhle -- David Savard

Mike Matheson -- Joel Edmundson

Arber Xhekaj -- Johnathan Kovacevic

The roster was right, but the lines/pairings were not. What we actually have is:

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach

Dadonov - Dvorak - Gallagher

Armia - Monahan - Anderson

Sl;afkovsky - Evans - Pezzetta

Edmundson - Guhle

Matheson - Savard

Xhekaj - Kovacevic

That OT PP was pathetic.  No real puck movement through the slot,  same 4 players (which is not a bad idea), same strategy all 2 minutes long, no adjustment.

Was almost too easy for the Hawk's triangle.   Very frustrating to watch IMO.

Just now, JoeLassister said:

That OT PP was pathetic.  No real puck movement through the slot,  same 4 players (which is not a bad idea), same strategy all 2 minutes long, no adjustment.

Martin St-Louis is not at the NHL-level yet for in-game adjustments. Often, in post-games press conferences, he says he has much to learn.

I like the overall game though, Habs are close to winning in the shoot out

I hope Monahan wins it

listened on French radio, much better play by play than whoever is trying out on TSN690

Suzuki's and Monahan's line played well. Montembeault played very well. I did not watch the game, so I do not know if he stole the win, but he had a good game.

Slafkovsky got hit in the chin, and left to the dark room. I would prefer him playing more minutes in Laval: he is not processing the game fast enough right now.

• Like 1

Best national anthems I’ve heard in person in AGES … like … reminded me of Doucet!

after that - the crowd is *yawn*

I had been neutral about Dadonov - I’m now thinking he should be a charter member of team tank. Did not like him except for the one pass to spring Suzuki - yet even that was after a defensive gaff of his. 

Guhle was impressive! Other than the time he lost his footing on the blue line to set up an odd man rush, when a Hab dman did something noticeable, it was Guhle. 

Overall by eye test - Suz/Cau/Dach were shut down. Tho they were perfect in the shootout. 

Monahan was the top Hab forward to me. I liked Dvorak today. The 4th line of Evans/Slaf/Pez was regularly overmatched. 

Matheson has a fantastic burst. 

Athanasiou was the most noticeable Hawk to me. 

Goalies were solid but didn’t need to be be any more than that. From my nosebleed seats, the best save was Soderblom on Anderson in the first. 

Boring game tbh. Good road game I guess. OT was super disappointing with the Hawks playing keep away for 2 minutes then a 2 minute sleeper power play for the Habs. 

Sat beside one of Caufield’s little league hockey coaches. Got some stories. That was cool. 

Dach’s OT reaction for the crowd was priceless. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Great saves by both goalies 

Habs continue with the sloppy passes. It’s a game after game problem. 

Is Montembault a long term solution for us? He has been outstanding all season 

I've been pondering that for weeks now.   They need to show us the full Monty so they can find out if he could be their starting goalie.  It is known that Allen can't handle the workload of being a #1, but can Monty?  This is the year to find out.  

2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

I agree 100% that was painful to watch.  Its way too often that I don't understand what they are doing on the PP.  They just pass the puck back and forth playing keep away rather than trying to set anything up to shoot and score.  

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Dach for the win, how poetic.

I still would have preferred Monahan. He had a great games

Monahan played well, but for the 3rd game in a row I was figuring Armia would finally get 1, but I'm still holding my breath on that.  

Its been less than 10 games.  Montembault looked good for stretches last year too but then reverted to a pumpkin.

Ride the streak as long as it lasts but im not thinking hes a long term solution til he does this for a lot more than 8 games.  Its very premature to even speculate on him as an NHL starter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

We're starting to see some movement on the 5 on 4 PP which is starting to move a little sharper.  It's clear the 4 on 3 PP isn't anywhere close to that point; I wonder how much time they spend working on it?

38 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

We're starting to see some movement on the 5 on 4 PP which is starting to move a little sharper.  It's clear the 4 on 3 PP isn't anywhere close to that point; I wonder how much time they spend working on it?

Probably not a whole lot -- you really don't get very many of those in games ...

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Its been less than 10 games.  Montembault looked good for stretches last year too but then reverted to a pumpkin.

Ride the streak as long as it lasts but im not thinking hes a long term solution til he does this for a lot more than 8 games.  Its very premature to even speculate on him as an NHL starter.

Quite.  it's possible that he may have found a new level, but eight games is not enough to confirm that. if he keeps it up, the first conversation is about whether he should be part of the Habs' longer-term picture, being a future starter should need at least a couple of seasons of solid performance.