GAME #23 Habs vs Flames 9PM Dec 1 2022

DON

image.png

Hope the boys are all ready for a bounce back game.

Rem Pitlick has been recalled and will join team in Calgary, Hoffman placed on IR.

Brendan Gallagher and Sean Monahan took a maintenance day instead of practicing before the team's flight, but they traveled to Alberta with their teammates

How will Monahan be received in 1st game back (if dressed)?

That was a funny start.  I was a few mins late and the game was already 4 mins in and I noticed the Habs were up 1-0 so I had to rewind it.  When I rewound it was 35 secs in and they had already scored I had to do it again to see what happened.  

Officials have been letting the teams play, few missed call for both teams.  Was a missed call that lead to Calgary's goal.  The coach's challenge should be expanded to all calls that should of warranted a stoppage in play, including penalty calls missed.  I would even be fine with the penalty call still not being called, but the goal being called back due to a missed call.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

#20 is a force tonight.

NO, no more challenges please.

League simply should have better video guys.

The league will never take it apon itself to have better video guys.  I like the coach's challenge, it's up to the teams to challenge, not the league.  I would be also fine with having like 3 challenges a game max with the same penalty for a wrong challenge now.

If the league is going to have better video guys they can have a video ref to call the stuff the on-ice officials miss.  The problem with anything league initiated is money.  It'll cost the league more to have it, so they will opt to not do it.

The Monahan trade is looking like very good asset management. Not so much for the Flames.  Monahan has 1 more point than Kadri  AND we get a 1st round pick.  Great work by Hughes.  If Monahan keeps playing like this then he will be a very valuable trade chip at the deadline. 

Savard & Allen stopped alot of pucks.

Great start to road trip.

Now, gotta figure out how to try and contain McDavid & Draisaitl, or minimize the damage at least.

53 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Did I mishear?  Were the Calgary fans chanting "F Montreal?"

I doubt it because it looked like close to half the fans were wearing the CH.  

Slaf looked really good for the majority of the game but there were a couple of times he looked off and 1 time he looked completely lost.  He is continuing to get better though and thats what matters.

15 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Monahan trade is looking like very good asset management. Not so much for the Flames.  Monahan has 1 more point than Kadri  AND we get a 1st round pick.  Great work by Hughes.  If Monahan keeps playing like this then he will be a very valuable trade chip at the deadline. 

I hope Hughes attempts to resign MoneyHands before he trades him.  MonaHabs is looking good and seems to be a decent fit with Slaf too along with Anderson.  It would make sense to try to keep him if they can get for a reasonable amount.  

Poor Allen because he played great and as far as I'm concerned he was screwed out of shutout due to the non call on the trip on Matheson that caused a turnover which lead to the Flames only goal.  

12 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I hope Hughes attempts to resign MoneyHands before he trades him.  MonaHabs is looking good and seems to be a decent fit with Slaf too along with Anderson.  It would make sense to try to keep him if they can get for a reasonable amount.  

I really like Monahan too, quality guy, quality player but Monahan will be a UFA with all the leverage in any negotiations.  I think Hughes has to stick to the plan. 

I hear what you are saying though, Monahan is a guy you want to cheer for. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I really like Monahan too, quality guy, quality player but Monahan will be a UFA with all the leverage in any negotiations.  I think Hughes has to stick to the plan. 

I hear what you are saying though, Monahan is a guy you want to cheer for. 

Its not just that either.  I knew about his hips but wasn't aware of his full injury history until @The Chicoutimi Cucumber posted an article about them all.  He has had a ton of injuries, so he probably doesn't have the same leverage as other similar skilled players.   However, when you look at his stats and his games played and points the dude is warrior and not only plays through pain but actually continues to put up points.  If Hughes goal is to win the Cup MoneyHands is a guy that can play 4 full rounds of hockey.  Thats why I'd keep if his contract ask is reasonable.    Plus, he's already made quite a bit of money and he seems to like being a Hab and likely knows they are going somewhere so his ask could be very reasonable.  

I watched the first period then fell asleep for the rest. 

I really hope Slafkovsky stays with Monahan. He looks significantly better with a good NHL centre - sorry Evans. But when Gallagher and Hoffman return then Slaf is likely back on the fourth line   BOO

I’m not sure how long we are going with the 8 Dmen rotation but I think it sucks. Send players down or trade at least one. Matheson or Edmundson ideally.