GAME#24 Habs vs Oilers 7:00pm December 3 2022

DON

7 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Wow, that was a crazy call on Edmundson.  It was certainly a penalty but there is no way that was worthy of a 5 min major with a game misconduct.  

Right on, Armia gets an assist and Dadonov scores.  Interesting, and now the Habs get a PP.    

A cross check that causes injury (and this clearly caused injury as you saw all the blood) is 5 and a game.

• Like 1

Easily Mathesons best game for Montreal.  Hopefully there is more where that came from.

Also.then best our PP has looked in a while.

5v5 we were the better team.

This loss goes to lack of discipline.  To give the oilers, who have one of the leagues best PPs and thats been true for several years... three five on threes and a 5 minute major in a 10 minute stretch is just something that they couldnt overcome.  Yes the Habs tied it after that but it was still back breaking in being down to 5 D and the fact you wont often keep mcdavid and draisaitl down all night at 5v5.  You know they are gonna get their ES points.  You cant give them extras with lots of PP chances.

0 shots by Slafkovski/Anderson. Monahan's foot not bugging him, he played 20+minutes and had 3 shots?

At least Dadanov got on scoresheet i suppose.

Dont look now but big tough kid with big shot...is leading rookie-d in goal scoring with 4.

Guhle 4th/Arber 5th in rookie d-scoring. :clap:

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/12/penalty-trouble-costs-habs-in-edmonton/

10 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I found Matheson looked really well and engaged offensively tonight.  Suzuki continues to look disengaged. 

Agree about Matheson, he was very engaged and his skating is definitely his strong point, made some great rushes. I thought Suzuki was just OK. 

Arber didn't look out of place at all which is is good when you are playing a team like Edmonton, still needs to work on his discipline but he has a great wrist shot. He will score 10 goals this year which is pretty darn good for a rookie D who many thought wouldn't make the team. 

49 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree about Matheson, he was very engaged and his skating is definitely his strong point, made some great rushes. I thought Suzuki was just OK. 

Arber didn't look out of place at all which is is good when you are playing a team like Edmonton, still needs to work on his discipline but he has a great wrist shot. He will score 10 goals this year which is pretty darn good for a rookie D who many thought wouldn't make the team. 

Wifi is sometimes dismissed by the advanced stats folks, but I dunno - I see a guy who could end up as a Kevin Bieksa-ish type, an under-the-radar prospect who ends up as a quality #4-5 for a lot of years. He just seems to have the mental resilience and the varied toolkit to be more than (say) the Igor Ulanov 2.0 that I originally cast him as. Interesting that he keeps chugging away while the much more highly-touted Harris has now cratered. 

40 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wifi is sometimes dismissed by the advanced stats folks, but I dunno - I see a guy who could end up as a Kevin Bieksa-ish type, an under-the-radar prospect who ends up as a quality #4-5 for a lot of years. He just seems to have the mental resilience and the varied toolkit to be more than (say) the Igor Ulanov 2.0 that I originally cast him as. Interesting that he keeps chugging away while the much more highly-touted Harris has now cratered. 

I agree, I think Biesksa is a pretty good comparison.  It's  pretty impressive for a guy who wasn't even drafted. He is mentally tough and we certainly know he is physically tough. And he is hungry to play. There is a reason he is still in the lineup.  I was joking with a friend at the game last night that if I buy another Habs jersey that it might have #72 on the back. Of course that might be bad luck.  I saw a couple KK Habs jerseys at the game last night but none with #72.  I have a feeling that Arber will be here a lot longer than KK was.  He just wants it more and is willing to do whatever it takes to stay here. I am cheering for him. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

couldn’t agree more 

45 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree, I think Biesksa is a pretty good comparison.  It's  pretty impressive for a guy who wasn't even drafted. He is mentally tough and we certainly know he is physically tough. And he is hungry to play. There is a reason he is still in the lineup.  I was joking with a friend at the game last night that if I buy another Habs jersey that it might have #72 on the back. Of course that might be bad luck.  I saw a couple KK Habs jerseys at the game last night but none with #72.  I have a feeling that Arber will be here a lot longer than KK was.  He just wants it more and is willing to do whatever it takes to stay here. I am cheering for him. 

did Dadonov look different in person than on TV?

Is he unlucky or done as a player?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

did Dadonov look different in person than on TV?

Is he unlucky or done as a player?

I thought Dadonov looked pretty good last night, he definitely has skill, very good skater.  I think he just got off to a slow start this year. He is far from  done but he needs to keep playing well and put up some numbers to convince other GM's to take a chance. There is still time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I haven’t missed a game yet this year and I can safely say that the Team has been much better with him in the lineup thank without. 

He will end up being a top #4 D within the next two seasons. 

13 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I thought Dadonov looked pretty good last night, he definitely has skill, very good skater.  I think he just got off to a slow start this year. He is far from  done but he needs to keep playing well and put up some numbers to convince other GM's to take a chance. There is still time. 

thanks!

On 12/4/2022 at 4:17 AM, Commandant said:

A cross check that causes injury (and this clearly caused injury as you saw all the blood) is 5 and a game.

That is true, but I've seen way worse x-checks that were done on purpose vs accidental that only received 2 min penalties so Edmundson's punishment seemed like overkill.  Plus, Hyman had a cut, but what injury did he really receive when he got the A on the PPG?  Like @TurdBurglar mentioned about McDavid, I didn't like how Hyman acted like he was playing dead.  He should have been forced to enter the concussion protocol and go to the green room.  That penalty had such a big impact on that game and yet oddly all replays of the game didn't show it and I was only able to find a Twitter clip of it.  

On 12/4/2022 at 2:37 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree, and that he hasn't really played with the same linemates for long enough to really gel well with anybody yet.  However, it seems like Dadonov and Armia might be a good fit together.  For 4-5 games now it's looked like Armia would finally score, so hopefully he will soon.   The Habs need to get other lines going.

17 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

However, it seems like Dadonov and Armia might be a good fit together.  

Side by side in the pressbox, i agree.

21 minutes ago, DON said:

Side by side in the pressbox, i agree.

Or in first class seats on their way to their new team(s).

40 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

That is true, but I've seen way worse x-checks that were done on purpose vs accidental that only received 2 min penalties so Edmundson's punishment seemed like overkill.  Plus, Hyman had a cut, but what injury did he really receive when he got the A on the PPG?  Like @TurdBurglar mentioned about McDavid, I didn't like how Hyman acted like he was playing dead.  He should have been forced to enter the concussion protocol and go to the green room.  That penalty had such a big impact on that game and yet oddly all replays of the game didn't show it and I was only able to find a Twitter clip of it.  

Also, with the 5 minute major, the cut was on the opposite side of Hyman's head.  The stick didn't cause that cut.  When Edmundson's stick made contact with Hyman's head, it was firmly against the boards.  To cause a cut on the opposite side of Hyman's head, the cross check would of been way more violent than it was.  Did Edmundson warrant a penalty for the cross-check? Yes, but it was only 2. 

The high-stick against Draisatl was also embellished as well.  On the jumbotron the stick missed Draisatl, when I got home I looked at every available angle from the game I recorded and youtube and I couldn't find a single angle that looked like it contacted him.  That lead to a 5-on-3 goal as well.  The Oilers were fishing for calls and the ref were giving it too them.  On more than one occasion, and you may not of seen it on TV, Savard was at the refs and the ref's would point him to the bench and not engage any further. 

If the NHL really wants to take a stance on embellishment, and they don't, they need to review all plays like this and fine accordingly.  The faked high sticking calls are the easiest to rule on.  Nobody can tell me Dach putting his hand on McDavid's hip can make the best skater in the NHL, superman to the ice, that was 2 minutes for each.  Nobody can tell me Xhekaj's trip on one leg can make the best skater in the NHL, superman on the ice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Also, with the 5 minute major, the cut was on the opposite side of Hyman's head.  The stick didn't cause that cut.  When Edmundson's stick made contact with Hyman's head, it was firmly against the boards.  To cause a cut on the opposite side of Hyman's head, the cross check would of been way more violent than it was.  Did Edmundson warrant a penalty for the cross-check? Yes, but it was only 2. 

The high-stick against Draisatl was also embellished as well.  On the jumbotron the stick missed Draisatl, when I got home I looked at every available angle from the game I recorded and youtube and I couldn't find a single angle that looked like it contacted him.  That lead to a 5-on-3 goal as well.  The Oilers were fishing for calls and the ref were giving it too them.  On more than one occasion, and you may not of seen it on TV, Savard was at the refs and the ref's would point him to the bench and not engage any further. 

If the NHL really wants to take a stance on embellishment, and they don't, they need to review all plays like this and fine accordingly.  The faked high sticking calls are the easiest to rule on.  Nobody can tell me Dach putting his hand on McDavid's hip can make the best skater in the NHL, superman to the ice, that was 2 minutes for each.  Nobody can tell me Xhekaj's trip on one leg can make the best skater in the NHL, superman on the ice.

It doesnt matter if his stick caused the cut.  The cut was caused by hyman hitting his head/helmet in the glass because he was crosschecked.

The cut was a result of the penalty... so its a major on a cross check (a double minor can be called on highnstick)

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

I fully agree, It was really Hymans own actions that caused the cut.  i.e. yes, Edmundson pushed Hyman with stick into the corner, but then Hyman lowered his shoulder and Edmundson's stick rode up to his head, and Hyman kept moving forward rubbing his own head into the boards causing the cut.  It blatantly wasn't from the impact at all.   I don't even really consider it to be a x-check even, it was more of a interference or holding type penalty that should have been 2 mins.  Furthermore, if a 5 min major and game was warranted there would be a follow up hearing to give a suspension or a fine, and of course there is neither so that shows it wasn't as bad as the punishment he received.    

I also agree that they need to crack down on the embellishment.  

On 12/4/2022 at 8:42 AM, TurdBurglar said:

McDavid went down really easy on the Xhekaj trip 

Was stick in skates, so obvious penalty.

28 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I fully agree, It was really Hymans own actions that caused the cut.  

Whaaatt?:hammer:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DON said:

Was stick in skates, so obvious penalty.

I completely agree it's a penalty, but McDavid went both legs straight out after getting hooked in one shin.  I was sitting right behind the net and thought he caught his skates in the net coming around because of how he fell.  His body response to what happened to him was all wrong. That should of been a call for each. 

As I said before, I don't consider McDavid a diver, and I still don't.  He should have been called for both penalties on him for embellishment.   The Habs had 5 penalties and 3 in a row were embellished by the Oilers.