Game #27 - Kings at Montreal 7pm EST Sat Dec 10

Just for fun polls   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Send Slafkovsky to World Juniors?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Sign Monahan long term (now or as UFA after trade)

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Will Caufield ever score 50?

• Yes
    • No

Lines based on conjecture as Matheson is questionable. 

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach

Hoffman - Dvorak - Armia

Slafkovsky - Evans - Anderson 

Dadonov - Drouin - Pezzetta/Pitlick 

Edmundson - Guhle 

Harris - Kovacevic 

Xhekaj - Wideman 

Allen

Will update lines as they are available after Saturday morning skate. 

EDIT TO ADD REAL LINES

Dach back at centre 

• Upvote 1

Interesting quiz ... but IMO needs two questions for Monahan (i.e., extension or sign as UFA) ... I am potentially OK with a UFA signing but not an extension.

32 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Interesting quiz ... but IMO needs two questions for Monahan (i.e., extension or sign as UFA) ... I am potentially OK with a UFA signing but not an extension.

The number of players traded at the deadline, who go on to hit UFA and re-sign with the team that traded them is extremely small.  Its hypothetically possible but not realistic. 

Seems to be something fans discuss more than teams actually do. 

45 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I tried to word it to cover an extension or sign as UFA after a trade. Perhaps the poll needed three options to differentiate 

Great quiz, as pointed out the Monahan question should be multiple questions.

I think Slaf should goto the world juniors.  He should be able to dominate there with his NHL experience now, it will only help his confidence.  It’s one of the reasons I’m still not opposed to him going to Laval.

I’m still holding firm with not resigning Monahan until free agency, as slim of a chance as that is.  If he can keep producing at this rate, I think the picks or prospects would have greater long term value than him resigning at this point.

As for Caufield, he’s on pace for 47 this season.  There’s a real chance he could cross 50 as early as this season.  I think once the team gets a little better and spends less time in their own zone and puts the final pieces together on the PP, he’s going to be a top goal scorer in the NHL.  He also reminds me of Draisatl a few years ago where for every goal he got he misses the net or hit the post.  Once he gets that dialled in, look out.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The number of players traded at the deadline, who go on to hit UFA and re-sign with the team that traded them is extremely small.  Its hypothetically possible but not realistic. 

Seems to be something fans discuss more than teams actually do. 

Don't disagree ... but while I could support trying to re-sign him in July, I feel it is more important to maximize value by the trades deadline.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

As for Caufield, he’s on pace for 47 this season.  There’s a real chance he could cross 50 as early as this season.  I think once the team gets a little better and spends less time in their own zone and puts the final pieces together on the PP, he’s going to be a top goal scorer in the NHL.  He also reminds me of Draisatl a few years ago where for every goal he got he misses the net or hit the post.  Once he gets that dialled in, look out.

I agree that Cole could hit 50 this year.  I find it funny that Cole's ceiling has been discussed quite a bit, yet we all seem to be forgetting someone else in these discussions.  i.e. Suzuki.  He's only 1 g behind Cole, so its surprising no one is mentioning that.  What is the possibility that Nick can hit 50? (that seems to be a better question, he's on pace for 46?).   I had previously assumed that his ceiling would be 40, and it looks like he'll pass that this year.

31 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I agree that Cole could hit 50 this year.  I find it funny that Cole's ceiling has been discussed quite a bit, yet we all seem to be forgetting someone else in these discussions.  i.e. Suzuki.  He's only 1 g behind Cole, so its surprising no one is mentioning that.  What is the possibility that Nick can hit 50? (that seems to be a better question, he's on pace for 46?).   I had previously assumed that his ceiling would be 40, and it looks like he'll pass that this year.

I think Nick is a great player but I don't think hes as good a pure goalscorer as Cole.  His shooting percentage right now is unsustainable.

I see him as 30-35 goal 80-85 point guy in his prime.

I dont see him getting to 46 (or close to it) this year as that shooting percentage is gonna regress.

That said based on his all around game, i think hes our best player even if cole is the better pure goalscorer.  Suzuki can do it all.  This team is lucky to have both and its HuGo's job to build around them 

30 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Suzuki leads the league with a 26.9 shooting percentage.  (His previous career high is 13.6%.)  That's not going to hold and with his pass-first tendency, I'd be surprised if he makes it to 40.  Mid-30's is where I think he'll land.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think Nick is a great player but I don't think hes as good a pure goalscorer as Cole.  His shooting percentage right now is unsustainable.

I see him as 30-35 goal 80-85 point guy in his prime.

I dont see him getting to 46 (or close to it) this year as that shooting percentage is gonna regress.

That said based on his all around game, i think hes our best player even if cole is the better pure goalscorer.  Suzuki can do it all.  This team is lucky to have both and its HuGo's job to build around them 

Agree. CC is pure sniper. Nothing wrong with that by any means, but Suzki quarterbacks the entire offence in the O-zone. He is the motor. I am so thrilled at the player he's becoming - I knew he had this ceiling, PPG potential, but figured he'd be more likely to tap out as a 60-point #1A type. His passing this season is some of the best I've ever seen on the Habs, and maybe on any team.

6 minutes ago, DON said:

514 games into career; McDavid still not had a 50 goal season (average 42g/82gms).

Yeah, but offence in the NHL has gone bananas this season. That's the main reasons the game is so off-the-chart entertaining these days.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

I also think mcdavid is the type of player to lose the hart to matthews despite scoring 10 more points and going home all summer and improving his goal scoring so that doesnt happen again.

McDavid looks like he went home saying, ok, Matthews scored 60, I’m gonna score 70 next year.

5 hours ago, Neech said:

It would be so much fun to have Slaf at the World Juniors, I'd have a second team to cheer for along with Canada. Getting three Habs prospects on Team Canada would be great as well, but that might be a lot to ask.

I don’t understand the Habs reluctance to let him play. It would be an excellent barometer to test Slafkovsky against his peers instead of against NHL players. 

Would Slafkovsky dominate against 18 year olds? 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don’t understand the Habs reluctance to let him play.

Would Slafkovsky dominate against 18 year olds? 

Vast majority of fans want him to play of course. But you can see why it isnt a slam dunk for Habs mgmt. Could be injury worry, big drop in competition, away from rest of Habs practice/schedule, etc.

He may dominate (i would guess 50-50 he would) which would be fun to see and he may boost confidence i guess. I dont know how strong a team they likely will ice, But i assume not a medal contender this year, even with Mesar, Nemec & Slafkovski?

I assume will be announced fairly soon if he will be "loaned" to Slovakia and join the other 2.

St Louis i think spoke to it yesterday and seemed against it. 

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-the-montreal-canadiens-sending-juraj-slafkovsky-to-the-world-juniors/

51 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Drouin was supposed to return too I thought. Perhaps Drouin isn’t ready or maybe he is a healthy scratch?

Looks like he's not quite ready yet.  He's still on IR while Hoffman has already been activated. 

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #27 - Kings at Montreal 7pm EST Sat Dec 10