World Juniors 2023

Neech

Team Canada finalized their roster today, and unfortunately Beck and Kidney didn't make the cut while Roy returns. 

Most of us are hoping for Slaf to make an appearance, but even without him there should be 3-4 other teams with at least one Habs prospect. Watching Hutson would be a treat, while Kapanen, Mesar and Engstrom are set to feature as well.

Hopefully we get some exciting hockey over the yuletide season!

1 hour ago, Neech said:

... Most of us are hoping for Slaf to make an appearance ...

Has Slovakia finalized a full roster (i.e., no spot to which he could be loaned)?    Is the Slovakian team even in Canada yet?   
*** IF *** HuGo were considering sending Slafkovsky I doubt it would be until the team is here.

54 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Has Slovakia finalized a full roster (i.e., no spot to which he could be loaned)?    Is the Slovakian team even in Canada yet?   
*** IF *** HuGo were considering sending Slafkovsky I doubt it would be until the team is here.

Montreal's answer to them was that they wouldn't send Slafkovsky at the beginning but there's a small chance they could send him closer to the start of the tournament.  There's still another full week easily that they could put that off.  I don't think the Slovaks have finalized their roster yet.

We can also add Vincenz Rohrer to the list of Montreal prospects that will be there.

U Sports All-Stars 2 Canada U20 3 (Final) - Canada’s National Junior Team Selection Camp (Moncton, N.B.)

Owen Beck - no points
Riley Kidney - wasn't in the lineup, injured
Joshua Roy - one goal (2) - GWG

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/canada-releases-final-roster-for-2023-world-junior-championship/

16 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Finalized Rosters are due a day before the tournament starts.  

We have seen times where the announced roster is not the same as a finalized roster for a number of countries, either due to an unexpected player becoming available or an inury in the lead up to the tournament.  Slovakia isn't going to say no if the Habs decide to loan Slaf, so theoretically they have til the 25th to decide (but would likely decide before that for logistical reasons). 

17 hours ago, Neech said:

Team Canada finalized their roster today, and unfortunately Beck and Kidney didn't make the cut while Roy returns. 

Most of us are hoping for Slaf to make an appearance, but even without him there should be 3-4 other teams with at least one Habs prospect. Watching Hutson would be a treat, while Kapanen, Mesar and Engstrom are set to feature as well.

Hopefully we get some exciting hockey over the yuletide season!

Kidney was injured in camp so that was it for him.  Beck is likely on the team next year.  The issue with Beck is that the role he would have played is now being taken by Shane Wright, so he was never making it once Seattle announced Wright would be released. 

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Kidney was injured in camp so that was it for him.  Beck is likely on the team next year.  The issue with Beck is that the role he would have played is now being taken by Shane Wright, so he was never making it once Seattle announced Wright would be released. 

It is childish and vindictive but I am now hoping that Team Canada is absolutely dominated in the faceoff circle ... but I disagree that Wright has taken Beck's role ... Wright may have pushed others down the lineup and pushed Beck off the roster but I never saw Beck as more than a 4C/4th liner or extra forward.

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yeah, I originally thought Beck had a great chance but when I saw that Wright was being released to the team it obviously really diminished his chances. His time will come. 

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

It is childish and vindictive but I am now hoping that Team Canada is absolutely dominated in the faceoff circle ... but I disagree that Wright has taken Beck's role ... Wright may have pushed others down the lineup and pushed Beck off the roster but I never saw Beck as more than a 4C/4th liner or extra forward.

Beck was going to be in a two way role.  Canada now has the luxury of playing Wrights line against the opponents best, so they dont need a bottom six shut down line.

Its also one more centre to compete with overall.

All games are at Eastern time

December 19 games

Switzerland U20 vs Canada U20 6:00 pm - WJC Pre-tournament (Moncton, N.B.) - Watch on TSN4/5

Joshua Roy -

United States U20 vs Finland U20 6:00 pm - WJC Pre-competition (Quispamsis, N.B.)

Lane Hutson -
Oliver Kapanen -

https://habsprospects.com/

More pre-tourny games today on TSN

United States U20 vs Sweden U20 2:30 pm - WJC Pre-tournament (Moncton, N.B.) - Watch on TSN3/5

Lane Hutson -
Adam Engström -

Slovakia U20 vs Canada U20 6:30 pm - WJC Pre-tournament (Moncton, N.B.) - Watch on TSN3/5 or RDS Info

Filip Mešár -
Joshua Roy -

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already - but is there a way to watch WJC in the states?

27 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already - but is there a way to watch WJC in the states?

USA hockey mentioned where is televised/streamed am pretty sure i saw, not sure if just the USA games though?

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Hutson with  nice assist.

Nifty little pass.

https://habsprospects.com/

All games are at Eastern time

December 23 games

Sweden U20 vs Switzerland U20 2:30 pm - WJC Pre-competition (Halifax, N.S.) - Watch on TSN1

Adam Engström -

Austria U20 vs Slovakia U20 6:00 pm - WJC Pre-competition (Truro, N.S.)

Vinzenz Rohrer -
Filip Mešár -

Finland U20 vs Canada U20 6:30 pm - WJC Pre-competition (Halifax, N.S.) - Watch on TSN1/5 or RDS2

Oliver Kapanen -
Joshua Roy -

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/12/2023-world-juniors-primer/

https://theathletic.com/4024354/2022/12/26/2023-world-juniors-hockey-viewing-guide/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

"A 2023 draft-eligible watch list/ranking

1. Connor Bedard, C, Canada
  2. Adam Fantilli, C, Canada
  3. Leo Carlsson, C, Sweden
  4. Eduard Sale, LW, Czechia
  5. Samuel Honzek, LW, Slovakia
  6. David Reinbacher, RHD, Austria
  7. Dalibor Dvorsky, C, Slovakia
  8. Charlie Stramel, C, USA
  9. Axel Sandin-Pellikka, RHD, Sweden
  10. Gavin Brindley, RW, USA
  11. Lenni Hameenaho, RW, Finland
  12. Maxim Strbak, RHD, Slovakia
  13. Martin Misiak, LW, Slovakia
  14. Trey Augustine, G, USA"

1 hour ago, Peter Puck said:

tsn announcers credited Oliver Kapanen for the first goal but I think it was scored by Konsta Kapanen,

Indeed it was.

3-2 OT final for Switzerland. The Swiss have a solid if no-name team, much in the mould of the Finnish teams, and they just suffocated the Finnish offence.