World Juniors 2023

Neech

After many years of being an advocate for the 3 point seeding system, I've finally come to the realization that it's not as good as I once believed.

Currently Switzerland is 1-2-0-1(W,OW,OL,L) for 7pts and assuming Finland loses to the USA in regulation, which isn't a stretch, Finland will be 2-0-1-1 for 7pts.  Somehow winning 3 games vs another team only winning 2 makes it even.  Under the NHL point system Switzerland would have 6pts with 3 game wins and Finland would have 5pts with only 2 and an OT loss, as overall winning is more important than winning in regulation.

I'm also assuming that over a longer period of time the 3 point system would have a more accurate ranking, but I didn't anticipate seeing this.

6 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Currently Switzerland is 1-2-0-1(W,OW,OL,L) for 7pts and assuming Finland loses to the USA in regulation, which isn't a stretch, Finland will be 2-0-1-1 for 7pts.  Somehow winning 3 games vs another team only winning 2 makes it even.  Under the NHL point system Switzerland would have 6pts with 3 game wins and Finland would have 5pts with only 2 and an OT loss, as overall winning is more important than winning in regulation.

When there is a definitive winner in every game I've always thought that giving points for losing in OT is silly and is the entire issue.  ex:  Suis is really 3-1 and Fin 2-2.  Problem solved.

In the NHL, winning in regulation is most important and Fin has 2 reg wins to Suis's 1.  It's unfortunate for Suis though because of their 3 wins I'd say they should be above Fin.   

57 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Oh no, just like Dach his lil brother just broke his arm.   He was screaming in pain going off the ice.  

That looked/sounded awful.

7 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

The basic idea is that winning in regulation is worth more than winning in OT/shootout. So, "total wins" vs "total wins" may not be worth the same -- just like the value of "total losses" in the NHL is not always zero, if some of those were in OT/shootout.

8 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

After many years of being an advocate for the 3 point seeding system, I've finally come to the realization that it's not as good as I once believed.

I'm also assuming that over a longer period of time the 3 point system would have a more accurate ranking, but I didn't anticipate seeing this.

don’t know, I feel like the 3point per win system works well when there is a risk of relegation. Without it, there is not Much of a difference 

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

With Colton Dach's injury in last night's game, Canada has called up Owen Beck to take his place on the roster for the medal round.  He probably will be the 13th forward that will hardly play though.

It does show how close he was to making the team, obviously they have a very high opinion of him. Great news and will be a great experience for Owen to be with the team during these critical games. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DON said:

Is a sign that 2023 will be a good year for the Habs?:nuts:

But perhaps not the Dachs?

Wow, I'm actually in shock watching Can vs Slovakia.  For the 1st 5-10 mins I'd say the Slovaks dominated - Can was out shot, out hit, out muscled, and out chanced, but Beddard scored.   So far, I'd say that the Slovaks are a way tougher opponent than Sweden was.  It seems like Slovakia has more bona fide NHLers on their team than Sweden.  

Beck just drew a penalty, he dropped his stick.  

21 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

This Slovakia game is the best wjc game I've seen in a while

It is and it isn't.  It is because of the score, it's anyone's game.  It isn't because Canada has dominated for stretches of the game, and I want to say Gajan is playing lights out, but he's just playing good.  Canada's offense seems to be getting in it's own way.  Bedard, as great as he's playing, is throwing puck at the net from everywhere, even when he shouldn't.

I will say, for as many shots as Slovakia has given up, their defence hasn't let as many grade-A chances.

Gajan's posts are playing the best game of their career.