Game #30 - Dec. 15, Ducks vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Clipped and made contact with a goalie that's a foot out of his crease, I mean, great call, right?

Anderson being interfered with on the way to the net, 100% clean.  Noice.

Allen held the puck, that's gotta be delay of game by the logic of these calls.

24 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

At least it was a good night for draft positioning. Great to see Florida lose!!

Yes, it wasnt a bad night in that respect, although I would have preferred the Leafs to have beaten NYR and TB losing to CBJ.  For 8th place hopes it would have been a meaningful game to have won.  

1 hour ago, Neech said:

How much is Cole gonna fetch? If he keeps this up we'll be lucky with 8.5M

If we want elite players, we gotta pony up. That’s all there is to it.

• Like 1

another good result for the tank. MSL could not pin this one on the refs.

I am glad I just caught the 3rd on radio streaming. It was an entertaining period. In th e3rd, Drouin got a point and from the post-game show they were saying he was good, can someone confirm or correct that?

Caufield will make me eat my prediction of 29 goals. Good for him, special kid.

Now, lets embrace the tank on the next 10 games!

image.png

1 hour ago, Neech said:

How much is Cole gonna fetch? If he keeps this up we'll be lucky with 8.5M

Hughes needs to be really careful in his negotiations with Cole.   From watching Cole's interviews, I think he might take 100k-200K less than Suzuki.  i.e. he gives Nick a ton of credit for his success, so it seems like Cole believes that he wouldn't be doing as well if it wasn't for Nick.  I get the impression that in Cole's mind Nick is the star of that line. 

4 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hughes needs to be really careful in his negotiations with Cole.   From watching Cole's interviews, I think he might take 100k-200K less than Suzuki.  i.e. he gives Nick a ton of credit for his success, so it seems like Cole believes that he wouldn't be doing as well if it wasn't for Nick.  I get the impression that in Cole's mind Nick is the star of that line. 

🤪 but the real question is: will Hugh-Gort cry when they announce Cole's contract ? :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

image.png

That is a tough stretch for sure. Realistically I see them drafting with their own pick in the 7 - 10 range (assuming they don't get lucky at the draft lottery).

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If we want elite players, we gotta pony up. That’s all there is to it.

The Leafs lose a key player every season because they're cap-strapped, and they don't even have any egregiously bad contracts. In a few years if our prospects pan out, we'll be in the same position (and blaming Gallagher for it). Signing good players for bargains is a key component of building a contender - look at Tampa these last years, and what happened to Chicago when they had to pony up for Toews and Kane.

7 hours ago, Neech said:

The Leafs lose a key player every season because they're cap-strapped, and they don't even have any egregiously bad contracts. In a few years if our prospects pan out, we'll be in the same position (and blaming Gallagher for it). Signing good players for bargains is a key component of building a contender - look at Tampa these last years, and what happened to Chicago when they had to pony up for Toews and Kane.

It’s good if you can get a bargain, but I never expect a player to sign at significantly less than market value. I wouldn’t; would you?

I mean, if CC is smart, he will look up and notice that he has one of the best passers in the league on his line in Suzuki, and that that is not something it would be smart for him, as a pure sniper, to walk away from. If he’s smart, he will be reasonable in his demands. But taking a huge haircut just for the hell of it? Screw that.

The Leafs’ issue is that they over-invested at FW, in my opinion, not that they have failed to lock up their stars on great deals. Frankly, a lot of contracts that look like “deals” do so retroactively because the cap went up. That same principle will apply here. We should be locking up Caufield to a long-term deal at a price that falls within current market rates for a player in his position (RFA). 

This organization has two bona-five, high-end, elite players: Slick Nick and CC. That is not the place to look for cap savings, nor is their excellence a “problem” because it requires big contracts. 

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hughes needs to be really careful in his negotiations with Cole.   From watching Cole's interviews, I think he might take 100k-200K less than Suzuki ...

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

🤪 but the real question is: will Hugh-Gort cry when they announce Cole's contract ? :ph34r:

If they get CC for 100-200K less than Suzuki for 5+ years they most certainly will cry tears of joy ... But I will be shocked if that happens ... I expect Caufield would be leaving at least a million per season on the table ... if not extended by July 1st, he COULD become a four first rounders  RFA target.

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

another good result for the tank. MSL could not pin this one on the refs.

I am glad I just caught the 3rd on radio streaming. It was an entertaining period. In th e3rd, Drouin got a point and from the post-game show they were saying he was good, can someone confirm or correct that?

Caufield will make me eat my prediction of 29 goals. Good for him, special kid.

image.png

Drouin was misused IMO but he was also his usual self. 

He was point shot on the PP which makes no sense for a passer/wrister shot. Drouin gave the puck away in the Ozone as per usual. 

St Louis played Drouin instead of Slafkovsky for most of the third, despite Slafkovsky looking good. I can only speculate that Habs are “showcasing” Drouin….

Im not sure that Drouin will be in the NHL next season but he certainly won’t be a Canadien anymore 👍

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s good if you can get a bargain, but I never expect a player to sign at significantly less than market value. I wouldn’t; would you?

I mean, if CC is smart, he will look up and notice that he has one of the best passers in the league on his line in Suzuki, and that that is not something it would be smart for him, as a pure sniper, to walk away from. If he’s smart, he will be reasonable in his demands. But taking a huge haircut just for the hell of it? Screw that.

The Leafs’ issue is that they over-invested at FW, in my opinion, not that they have failed to lock up their stars on great deals. Frankly, a lot of contracts that look like “deals” do so retroactively because the cap went up. That same principle will apply here. We should be locking up Caufield to a long-term deal at a price that falls within current market rates for a player in his position (RFA). 

This organization has two bona-five, high-end, elite players: Slick Nick and CC. That is not the place to look for cap savings, nor is their excellence a “problem” because it requires big contracts. 

I understand the leaf comparison but they spend almost half the cap on four players leaving them little to fill out their bottom six. 

HuGo need to avoid Bergevin type mistakes of paying Armia and Gallagher way more than they are worth. 

This tweet is a reminder of Bergevin’s contract ineptitude. 

Armia with 16 points in 80 games since this contract. 

7 hours ago, Neech said:

The Leafs lose a key player every season because they're cap-strapped, and they don't even have any egregiously bad contracts.

41 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... The Leafs’ issue is that they over-invested at FW, in my opinion, not that they have failed to lock up their stars on great deals ...

The Leafs mistake IMO was signing Tavares ... that tipped their cap distribution, as was suggested, too heavily to the forwards ... IMO it can be argued that it was also a bad contract (egregious can be a very subjective term) ... JT's contract is the 6th highest by AAV but since its signing he is 23rd in scoring ... AND ... it led to them trading Kahdri (although there were the playoff susp[ensiopn issues factored in to that.

Interesting the differnret aspects Basu and Godin bring out from this loss.

Basu talsk about the differneces on developing players between teh Habs (benching Slafkovsky) and the Ducks

https://theathletic.com/4007373/2022/12/16/canadiens-ducks-slafkovsky-zegras/

Godin talks about the development of the team culture on why the Habs weer referring to the game as a Must Win and how the benching of Slafkovsky was a reaction from MSL to players being passengers and not executing

https://theathletic.com/4007459/2022/12/16/plutot-que-rebondir-le-canadien-a-glisse-comme-sur-le-dos-dun-canard/

Interesting.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Exactly.  The main reason people take the discount in Tampa is the tax situation, something we don't have in Quebec to entice them into the same discounts.  You can't really say oh Tampa got discounts, our GM needs to as well.  They aren't working in the same environment.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

If they get CC for 100-200K less than Suzuki for 5+ years they most certainly will cry tears of joy ... But I will be shocked if that happens ... I expect Caufield would be leaving at least a million per season on the table ... if not extended by July 1st, he COULD become a four first rounders  RFA target.

Caufiled signed his ELC at age 20... he needs 3 years of Experience.  Since he signed late in the season, he wasn't on the active roster for half the season, therefore while he burned the first year of the ELC, he didn't gain a year of experience towards free agency/arbitration.

Caufield cannot sign an offer sheet this summer.  He will be an exclusive rights free agent with only 2 years of service time....  He falls under 10.2 (c), which is defined by Capfriendly as follows.

What is a restricted free agent (RFA)?

A player becomes a free agent when their contract expires on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract. If the player does not meet the UFA requirements (see above), they become a restricted free agent (RFA) if their club issues them a qualifying offer and they have met the following requirements:
Group 2 Restricted Free Agent Requirements
First SPC Signing Age Professional experience required
18-21 3
22-23 2
24+ 1

If the player does not meet the required years of professional experience, they will instead become a 10.2(c) player (see below).

What is a 10.2(c) player?

A player becomes a free agent when their contract expires on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract. A player who does not meet the UFA requirements or the Group 2 RFA requirements displayed in the table above, and has been issued a qualifying offer, is designated a 10.2(c) player. The player is only eligible to negotiate and sign a contract with the club that holds their signing rights. They are ineligible to negotiate a contract (offer sheet) with any other club. They are also ineligible for arbitration. If the player does not receive a qualifying offer by June 25th at 5:00pm ET, they immediately become a UFA.

Engels also mentioned the same quote from MSL:

<<Thursday’s loss is a harbinger of things to come, it will challenge this inexperienced group, which left its coach saying on this night that “a major lack of execution” and having “way too many passengers” proved costly">>

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #30 - Dec. 15, Ducks vs Habs, 7 PM