Game #32 - Habs at Arizona 10pm est

Prime Minister Koivu

ARZ has been playing wrll

lately and the Habs have not.

Let’s hope no expiring UFA gets hurt and that Drouin has another decent game if the wrists hold up!

Go Habs Go!!!

Monday, December 19
Morning skate
LW C RW
22 - Cole Caufield 14 - Nick Suzuki 17 - Josh Anderson
20 - Juraj Slafkovsky 77 - Kirby Dach 27 - Jonathan Drouin
63 - Evgenii Dadonov 28 - Christian Dvorak 68 - Mike Hoffman
90 - Anthony Richard 71 - Jake Evans 40 - Joel Armia
LD RD G
44 - Joel Edmundson 21 - Kaiden Guhle 34 - Jake Allen

54 - Jordan Harris

26 - Johnathan Kovacevic

35 - Sam Montembeault
72 - Arber Xhekaj 6 - Chris Wideman

Random thought as I gander at the lines.

missing Monahan has been a huge blow, aside from the line shuffling that it has caused it has had multiple other effects that I will not go into.

my thought is:

it was widely reported Monny was wearing a walking boot for quite a while before being shut down.
Why did they allow him to play himself into what seems to be a lengthy injury?  Why wasn’t he managed better, he’s got obv injury history and coming off big surgeries (hips, so somewhat unrelated) but the point remains that it appears they played him into the injury becoming a bigger issue than it was.  
And for what?  Obv not for sale of wins as The team continues to ice a lineup that is not solely built in winning, but on showcasing players (Monny included) so letting him rest, recover, manage his load so to speak would have seemed the smarter play and best for team, player. Chose the games he rests based on opponent.

He was injured, but minor enough to travel/play and has now become an obviously larger issue, how do professional medical staff and trainers allow that to happen in a meaningless year essentially???

Now his health is a even more of a red flag for any potential trade partner, completely overshadowing his decent production til then.  It was / is far too early in season to play a player until his minor injury is a larger one for the sake of a few more games played.

13 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Random thought as I gander at the lines.

missing Monahan has been a huge blow, aside from the line shuffling that it has caused it has had multiple other effects that I will not go into.

my thought is:

it was widely reported Monny was wearing a walking boot for quite a while before being shut down.
Why did they allow him to play himself into what seems to be a lengthy injury?  Why wasn’t he managed better, he’s got obv injury history and coming off big surgeries (hips, so somewhat unrelated) but the point remains that it appears they played him into the injury becoming a bigger issue than it was ... 

I suspect the injury was something relatively minor that Monahan could play through ... the walking boot was to immobilize it when not on the ice and maximize opportunities for it to heal ... but he then aggravated the injury and is now out.

17 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I suspect the injury was something relatively minor that Monahan could play through ... the walking boot was to immobilize it when not on the ice and maximize opportunities for it to heal ... but he then aggravated the injury and is now out.

Was noted he was seen without walking boot the other day, so improving anyways.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

It was widely reported Monny was wearing a walking boot for quite a while before being shut down.
Why did they allow him to play himself into what seems to be a lengthy injury?  Why wasn’t he managed better, he’s got obv injury history and coming off big surgeries (hips, so somewhat unrelated) but the point remains that it appears they played him into the injury becoming a bigger issue than it was.  

I do suspect that the team medical staff may have more information about the injuries and their treatment than we do, so concluding that they didn't manage the injury properly is a bit rash.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Ya, I believe that's exactly what happened.  It was a minor issue until he further aggravated it.  I did see Moneyhands further injure his foot in the last game he played.  He was out in front of the net and it looked like he somehow caught the toes of his 1 skate on the ice and his foot kept moving forward and then rolled his ankle and fell down backwards into the ice.  The ankle over extension looked painful and he did not return that game.     

Plus, the Habs have so many forwards this year if a player has a hang nail they probably want to try to get LTIR for them so they can get cap space and open a roster spot for somebody that isnt playing.  

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

ARZ has been playing wrll

lately and the Habs have not.

I'm thinking the Habs will win this game because they haven't lost 4 in a row yet this year.  I believe their current 3 game losing streak is their 1st this year.

Back when every team had played 20 games I heard a surprising stat.  i.e. this year there were 11 teams at the 20 game mark who had lost 5+ games in a row.  However, the Habs were not on that list.  At that time, I believe they said that the Habs had only lost 2 in a row.  

11 minutes ago, huzer said:

First Yotes game I've seen this year. Holy bad camera angles, batman! My wife actually said "why does it look like we're watching a college game?"

lol, no doubt though.  The cameras are closer to the ice than any other arena because theirs only holds 5000 people.   The cameras are usually much further back from the boards and much higher up.  The camera angle definitely looks abnormal.  Your wife is observant to have noticed that so fast. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The guy doing colour on the TSN feed is terrible. 

Penalties will be our undoing 

Or not scoring any goals. One or the other.:P

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, huzer said:

Slaf decked by...Gostibehere? Golly. Glad to see Dvorak back after taking that shot from Suzuki up high.

Yep, that hit look odd to me.  My 1st thought was I wanted to see it from another angle, then I wondered if that arena even has other camera angles.  They just showed it from another angle, but it was a really short clip so it didn't show where Gostibehere started from.  

It's definitely good that Dvorak is back.  

4 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Important loss needed here

I certainly disagree and for 2 reasons.  1) if they lose this game they will likely be the next team to lose 5 or more games in a row.  No thanks.   2)  If the Yotes get Beddard maybe that would convince Mathews to go home.  

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #32 - Habs at Arizona 10pm est