Comparing 2011 Habs to 2022 Habs (before reset, rebuild and all forms in between)

alfredoh2009

I was looking at an old lineup from 2010-2011 (late March 2011) and I thought: "this is before the MB rebuild, how does it compare to today?"

* D prospects look better,

* Top line looks better

* bottom 6 look similar

* Goalie situation is not great right now

* There is hope for the future

2011 2022

Kostitsin - Gomez - Gionta

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Moen

Pouliot - Desharnais - White

Darche - Halpern - Eller

Hamrlink - Wisniewski   

Gill - Subban   

Mara - Sopel

Price / (Auld)

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach

Slafkovsky - Drouin - Anderson 

Dadonov - Dvorak - Hoffman

Richard - Evans - Armia 

Edmundson - Guhle

Harris - Kovacevic 

Xhekaj - Wideman

Allen / (Montembeault)

If you are wondering why not posting from 2011-2012 (shortened season, strike) it is because at this point PG still believed he could turn around the team. Here are the moves he did before getting fired:

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/Search/SearchResults.php?Player=&Team=canadiens&BeginDate=2011-06-01&EndDate=2012-04-01&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&submit=Search&start=0

* Got something in return for Wisnewski who had said he didn't want to resign with the Habs

* Let these UFAs walk: Perezhogin, Sopel, Mara, Auld, Halpern, Hamrlik

* re-signed Georges and Erik Cole to long term contracts

* signed Budaj

* Signed Gallagher to entry level contract

* then he went into rebuild mode firing Martin and trading away Cammalleri, Gill, Kostitsin

Edited by alfredoh2009
re-titled

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was looking at an old lineup from 2011 (I don't know when during that season) and I thought: "this is before the MB rebuild, how does it compare to today?"

* Top line looks better

* bottom 6 look similar

2011 2022

Darche - Halpern - Eller

Hamrlink - Wisniewski   

Gill - Subban   

Mara - Sopel

Price / (Auld)

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach

Richard - Evans - Armia 

Edmundson - Guhle

Harris - Kovacevic 

Xhekaj - Wideman

Allen / (Montembeault)

But there never was a Bergevin rebuild.

• alfredoh2009 changed the title to Comparing 2011 Habs to 2022 Habs (before reset, rebuild and all forms in between)
52 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree. I think he used the term "reset".  He made a great deal with the Suzuki trade and acquired some extra draft picks but never went as far as he should have. 

And that was six years into his term ... comparing 2011 vs 2022 would make Bergevin's whatever (which was really business as usual, trying to make the playoffs and see what happens), his first couple of seasons. 

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

And that was six years into his term ... comparing 2011 vs 2022 would make Bergevin's whatever (which was really business as usual, trying to make the playoffs and see what happens), his first couple of seasons. 

ok, I'll re-state. The lineup is from Gaut's last season before MB took over, so before any morphing into what ever.

I was curious to see the "starting point" at the time and compare to now.

just trying to pass the time until the trade deadline when the team will shed dead weight and contracts for picks.

moving on

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

ok, I'll re-state. The lineup is from Gaut's last season before MB took over, so before any morphing into what ever.

I was curious to see the "starting point" at the time and compare to now.

just trying to pass the time until the trade deadline when the team will shed dead weight and contracts for picks.

moving on

I was responding to Habs Fans in Edmonton who moved the goalposts to MB's sort of, kind of, maybe, but not really rebuild of 2018 ... not your premise

Wow that 2011 first line stinks!

Bergevin did a rebuild without stripping the team. He slowly built the team to be a character, blood and guts type team. I think he accomplished that vision to a degree. 

This rebuild sure has a head start with that Suzuki line - although HuGo did get Dach. 

This trade deadline, draft, and summer will be so important to our rebuild. I hope things work out to be a home run for us. 

30 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Bergevin did a rebuild without stripping the team. He slowly built the team to be a character, blood and guts type team. I think he accomplished that vision to a degree. 

This rebuild sure has a head start with that Suzuki line - although HuGo did get Dach. 

This trade deadline, draft, and summer will be so important to our rebuild. I hope things work out to be a home run for us. 

I agree, the next few months are really important

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Bergevin also had Price, Pacioretty, Subban, Eller, and a third overall pick, as young pieces to build around when he took over.... he didn't come in with nothing. 

Yes Hugo got Suzuki, Caufield, but having some players to build with is normal for a new regime. 

era

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was looking at an old lineup from 2011 (I don't know when during that season) and I thought: "this is before the MB rebuild, how does it compare to today?"

* Top line looks better

* bottom 6 look similar

2011 2022

Darche - Halpern - Eller

Hamrlink - Wisniewski   

Gill - Subban   

Mara - Sopel

Price / (Auld)

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach

Richard - Evans - Armia 

Edmundson - Guhle

Harris - Kovacevic 

Xhekaj - Wideman

Allen / (Montembeault)

The 2011 team also had Markov and Pacioretty who aren't listed here.   Markov was probably on IR, and Pacioretty was either in the AHL, or on IR from the Chara hit depending on when you pulled that team. 

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

era

The 2011 team also had Markov and Pacioretty who aren't listed here.   Markov was probably on IR, and Pacioretty was either in the AHL, or on IR from the Chara hit depending on when you pulled that team. 

I Miss Markov. 

On 12/21/2022 at 1:24 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

* Top line looks better

* bottom 6 look similar

2011 2022

Darche - Halpern - Eller

Hamrlink - Wisniewski   

Gill - Subban   

Mara - Sopel

Price / (Auld)

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach

Richard - Evans - Armia 

Edmundson - Guhle

Harris - Kovacevic 

Xhekaj - Wideman

Allen / (Montembeault)

You are missing Pacioretty, Markov, Gorges, Lapierre, from that 2010 /11 team  this was Bob Gaineys team not Bergevin he was hired in 2012.

Bergevin retool started in 2018

So before the retool/reset it would've been year 2017/18 rooster which was

Drouin-Plekenec-Pacioretty 

Danault -Galchenyuk-Gallagher 

Shaw-Byron-Hemsky 

Carr-Hudon -Lenkonen 

Ex Deslauriers , LaRose

Weber-Petry 
Alzner-Benn 

Mete-Davidson 

Ex Morrow, schlemko 

Price-Niemi 

The lineup I posted above is most probably from the end of the 2010-2011 season. This is early in the 2011-2012 season:

image.png

http://web.archive.org/web/20110915000000*/https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/