2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

I would have loved to see Florida lose in regulation tonight but at least Pittsburgh won in overtime and got 2 points. 

Florida has 32 games left (20 at home). They had a decent road trip which gave them some hope.

I figure they will have to go something like 22-10 in their last 32 games to catch a playoff spot. Not easy but doable if they get hot. They have the 10th toughest schedule remaining.  Montreal has the 2nd toughest schedule and Vancouver the 28th toughest so the Canucks should pass Montreal. 

Unlike last year (especially in the East where the top 8 was decided early) there should be some very close races for the last couple wild card spots in both conferences. That should increase trade activity which would be good for the Habs trying to unload some veterans. That is my theory anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, DON said:

My heart still screams Bedard but my head tells me to just wait for the lottery.

46 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

My heart still screams Bedard but my head tells me to just wait for the lottery.

Agreed. I have been reading a lot of great things about Ryan Leonard and Oliver Moore.  Perhaps a couple guys in the Habs range if they draft 7-10. Moore is a great skater, Leonard is pretty good too. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

3rd week April...only about 11 weeks to wait.

72 points in 44 games so far; ranked at around 5-10. Might be a nice option.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/535582/zach-benson

28706.jpg
Zach Benson
#9 C
Shoots: L
Height: 5'10
Weight: 159
Birthdate: 2005-05-12
Hometown: Chilliwack, BC
Draft:WHL - WPG (2020) Round: 1 (#14)
GP G A PTS +/- PIM PPG SHG SOG FOW
44 27 45 72 42 35 4 5 144 6

• 2 weeks later...

It's looking more and more like Montreal's pick will be in the 6-8 range (unless we get lucky when they draw the balls) and Florida will be in the 14-20 range.  Florida is playing well and will likely finish ahead of Washington who has some injury issues right now.  Unless Buffalo or Detroit go on a run the last 25 games then I think Florida grabs the last wild card spot and hopefully goes out in the 1st round.  I was really hoping for 2 lottery picks but I think Florida finishes top 8. Hopefully I just put the hex on them. 

59 minutes ago, DON said:

Panthers just lost.:clap:

And the Caps won. Five teams on 66/65 points, 4+ points out of a wild card spot. FLA and WAS have the worst percentages of the bunch.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Awesome. Will the Panthers be sellers tomorrow?  

Why would they - we have their pick?

after listening to this radio bit yesterday, I started wondering about whom the Habs may pick this year. Seems they like "big  players" like Gurianov/Dach/Slavkovsky/... Armia? :

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/wilde-you-re-not-going-to-like-who-the-habs-like-1.1927608

============

Pronman has his updated list today, and in the 7th to 10th range, we may pick:

* Reinbacher, Righty-D

* But, Lefty-W

* Barlow, Lefty-W

* Honzek, Lefty-W

Seems like Smith (Right-C) may not be on their list because of size.

https://theathletic.com/4257787/2023/03/07/nhl-draft-top-prospects-2023-corey-pronman/

===========

In the "bubble team" range, for the FLA pick:

* Simashev (Lefty-D)

* Wood (Righty-W)

* Molendyk (Lefty-D)

* Musty (Lefty-W)

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I'm starting to worry about the Flyers ... they are so inept they might well fall further down yet.

Our best defence against the Flyers ineptitude is to keep losing games 🎉 

I’m hoping that Torts keeps them from becoming a clown show and failing that, the Habs have some terrible injury curse/ineptitude problem on their side.