2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

51 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If any franchise deserves Bedard, it is Columbus. Talk about a long-suffering fanbase.

True ... although I wouldn't mind seeing him out west if he doesn't end up with the Habs ... just not Arizona or Chicago per my preference.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

True ... although I wouldn't mind seeing him out west if he doesn't end up with the Habs ... just not Arizona or Chicago per my preference.

I don't want CHI to get him either. Their tank efforts have been over the top. Plus they were so good for so long - they deserve a longer stretch in the wilderness.

Arizona doesn't bother me. I see them as harmless. Anaheim is an undeserving market that already won one Cup and has the most idiotic team name in hockey, so I don't want them to get him either. 

14 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If any franchise deserves Bedard, it is Columbus. Talk about a long-suffering fanbase.

I disagree. After decades of mismanagement in the best hockey franchise in the world, I think we are due a player like Bedard. Columbia doesn’t even deserve an NHL team, let alone having a player like Bedard being forced into purgatory over there.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I disagree. After decades of mismanagement in the best hockey franchise in the world, I think we are due a player like Bedard. Columbia doesn’t even deserve an NHL team, let alone having a player like Bedard being forced into purgatory over there.

We’re due, but we’re not getting him, so forget that. As for Columbus, yes, a horribly managed team, but they’ve nevertheless sustained a decent, loyal, and long-suffering fan base. They’re not like Arizona, on life support, or a fake franchise like Carolina or the Florida teams that rely on lots of success to pull fans in. Columbus is a solid and bona-fine hockey market that deserves much better than they’ve received.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Long-suffering? They barely suffer at all. Hockey is an afterthought there. A superstar like Bedard would help that, but it will never come close to football, basketball and baseball. That's true for almost every American market though.

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Columbia doesn’t even deserve an NHL team, let alone having a player like Bedard being forced into purgatory over there.

32 minutes ago, Neech said:

Long-suffering? They barely suffer at all. Hockey is an afterthought there. A superstar like Bedard would help that, but it will never come close to football, basketball and baseball. That's true for almost every American market though.

I don’t agree with your assessment of the hockey market in Columbus. 

Columbus has embraced hockey. True, the Blue Jackets will always take a backseat to the Buckeyes, but there is no MLB, NBA or NFL there. (There is MLS). The fans have supported the team inspite of not having much to show for it in terms of post season success. Go around the city - and you see logos and business support. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Really?  You want him in Montreal's division? 

Sure. Would like to see Sabres do well and both beat up on the Leafs/Bruins.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Sure. Would like to see Sabres do well and both beat up on the Leafs/Bruins.

And what about Montreal?  Them getting back to the playoffs gets harder with Bedard on Buffalo compared to any team in the West.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

And what about Montreal?  Them getting back to the playoffs gets harder with Bedard on Buffalo compared to any team in the West.

I want him in Montreal or suffering in the desert. Don’t want him on the California rebuilds, or on any eastern teams. Sick of the California teams having more elite talent than the habs have had over the past two decades. The east is already too strong. Don’t need any of the eastern teams getting a boast with Bedard.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dlbalr said:

One player on an opposing team they play, what 4 times a year? And i feel bad for the poor Sabres sucking for so long...which hasnt helped the Habs win a cup neither.

39 minutes ago, DON said:

One player on an opposing team they play, what 4 times a year?

Not because the Habs play a few games more against the Sabres, but because the Sabres will would be more competitive, making things more challenging for the Habs.

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Not because the Habs play a few games more against the Sabres, but because the Sabres will would be more competitive, making things more challenging for the Habs.

Which is fine by me, you would rather see more games vs weak crappy teams? I wouldnt.

24 minutes ago, DON said:

Which is fine by me, you would rather see more games vs weak crappy teams? I wouldnt.

That was not my point at all.

What I was pointing out was that Bedard playing for the Sabres would make the Atlantic division playoff fight tougher for the Habs, the issue has little to do with the Habs-Sabres games themselves.

30 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That was not my point at all.

What I was pointing out was that Bedard playing for the Sabres would make the Atlantic division playoff fight tougher for the Habs, 

Not to beat a dead horse. But, why is this such a bad thing? I always loved and preferred to watch Habs vs Quebec or Boston games that were just a bit 'tough'.

Vs an old boring Sabres match-up, which was a 'bit' 1 sided and an easy win.

Considering that Buffalo is in the playoff race, and you can only move up 10 spots in the draft lottery, its a moot point. 

The Sabres, even if the miss the playoffs, will not be bad enough to get first overall, even with a lottery win.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Not to beat a dead horse. But, why is this such a bad thing? I always loved and preferred to watch Habs vs Quebec or Boston games that were just a bit 'tough'.

Vs an old boring Sabres match-up, which was a 'bit' 1 sided and an easy win.

It’s a bad thing because the stronger our opponents, the harder it will be to win.

I remember one year (early 90s?), MTL, BOS, and BUF were all in the same division and top-5 in the league. Getting out of the division was a massacre. That’s not great.

Seems a 5th-8th pick is where Haqbs will land (baring lottery win)

An American or CHL guy?

5. Will Smith, C, USNTDP: Regardless of the situation or the competition, his game doesn’t change and he always plays with pace.

6. Zachary Benson, LW, Winnipeg Ice (WHL): Does everything well and isn’t afraid to go to the hard areas to get it done. 

7. Ryan Leonard, RW, USNTDP: A player who uses his sturdy frame to hunt pucks on the forecheck and protect them once turned over.

8. Brayden Yager, C, Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL): Has consciously worked on becoming a better distributor and the numbers show that (40 assists in 53 games), but his best asset remains his shot. 

9. Colby Barlow, RW, Owen Sound Attack (OHL): Is a player who projects to have success at the next level knowing there’s a solid B game if the A game isn’t going. 

10. Eduard Sale, RW, Brno Kometa (Czechia): Was on an island for a winless Czech team at the Four Nations, but his world junior performance set the standard for projection. 

On 3/14/2023 at 12:41 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I remember one year (early 90s?), MTL, BOS, and BUF were all in the same division and top-5 in the league. Getting out of the division was a massacre. That’s not great.

Isn't that basically the state of the division this season?  A couple of weeks ago before Tampa started to slide a bit, there were three teams from the Atlantic in the top five or six league-wide.

Its really only logical to hope the Habs get Bedard or the Yotes.

On 3/13/2023 at 8:24 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Hoping Bedard goes to Yotes and that causes Mathews to UFA there. 

I've said that exact comment on here before. 

Interestingly, Friedman made an comment recently regarding Bettman and the Yotes.  Bettman has been getting a ton of heat from other owners for his insistence of allowing the Yotes to continue to exist.  Bettman needs to be careful. 

The players are pissed off because the Yotes affect the Cap and the NHLPA are unable to get rid of Bettman.  The GMs dont like it either, but they cant do anything.  However, if there are enough pissed off owners I'm pretty sure Bettman could be fired over it. 

The Yotes could be moving and soon, but to where?  There was mention of 2 expansion teams to Houston and Atlanta, but Quebec City could be another possibility.

8 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Its really only logical to hope the Habs get Bedard or the Yotes.

I've said that exact comment on here before. 

Interestingly, Friedman made an comment recently regarding Bettman and the Yotes.  Bettman has been getting a ton of heat from other owners for his insistence of allowing the Yotes to continue to exist.  Bettman needs to be careful. 

The players are pissed off because the Yotes affect the Cap and the NHLPA are unable to get rid of Bettman.  The GMs dont like it either, but they cant do anything.  However, if there are enough pissed off owners I'm pretty sure Bettman could be fired over it. 

The Yotes could be moving and soon, but to where?  There was mention of 2 expansion teams to Houston and Atlanta, but Quebec City could be another possibility.

Oh man imagine a new Nordiques team headed by Mathews and Bedard 🤮

As for Bettman, I hope he does get fired. NHL needs to fix the poor officiating and the entire frat boy mentality - Bettman refuses to even acknowledge these issues. 

40 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

As for Bettman, I hope he does get fired. NHL needs to fix the poor officiating and the entire frat boy mentality - Bettman refuses to even acknowledge these issues. 

Matthews wouldn’t ever go to the coyotes unless he knew they were staying there. He sure the hell isn’t going to go to Quebec.

I think if the coyotes finally did get moved, the most logical location would be Houston. Keeps the East-West balance and gives Dallas a natural rival.

55 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

When Bettman leaves, however it happens, his replacement will do exactly what the owners want ... just like Bettman does now.