2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

17 hours ago, DON said:

I fully expect them to 'not' be picking 1st.

And looking at a Zach Benson as "more likely".

Not a Bedard but kid will end up 3rd in WHL scoring with about 100points, assuming 2 pts in last 3 games.

We're so close to Mitchkov range after our losing streak tho. If Anaheim can eek out a few wins and pass us we have a legit shot with no lottery luck. I mean you know Bedard and Fantilli are going 1-2 because of the Russian factor.

Would a team like San Jose take Mitchkov at 3 when they have players in their prime like Hertl and Couture when Mitchkov ain't coming until 2026? Seems there's more than one franchise talent and still multiple scenarios in play to land them

Not sure about the Russian kid, do you ignore the Putin baggage and his extended contract and take him top 5?

How risky is it, will he develop fine in the KHL, just how good is the kid?

Scouts seem to think he is that good.

Ranked #3 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #4 by SPORTSNET

1 hour ago, DON said:

Not sure about the Russian kid, do you ignore the Putin baggage and his extended contract and take him top 5?

Ranked #3 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #4 by SPORTSNET

Agreed ... and it isn't just the two-year contract ... I would not be shocked if Putin were just to decide not to let players leave, in order to "preserve the glory of Russia" ... he has very old school Soviet-era philosophies and ambitions ... if Mitchkov was a 2024 prospect, teams could see what happens with Flyers prospect Ivan Fedotov this summer ... he had signed an entry-level contract and was expected to compete for a job with the Flyers this season ... but he was then conscripted and disappeared to a military base for some time ... re-appeared after apparently agreeing to play the 22/23 season for CSKA Moscow (Central Red Army) ... whether he will be allowed to leave this summer is yet to be seen, IMO making Mitchkov quite a risk to draft.

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... and it isn't just the two-year contract ... I would not be shocked if Putin were just to decide not to let players leave, in order to "preserve the glory of Russia" ... he has very old school Soviet-era philosophies and ambitions ... if Mitchkov was a 2024 prospect, teams could see what happens with Flyers prospect Ivan Fedotov this summer ... he had signed an entry-level contract and was expected to compete for a job with the Flyers this season ... but he was then conscripted and disappeared to a military base for some time ... re-appeared after apparently agreeing to play the 22/23 season for CSKA Moscow (Central Red Army) ... whether he will be allowed to leave this summer is yet to be seen, IMO making Mitchkov quite a risk to draft.

This is a scary risk. 

Maybe if he falls to the Florida pick but I think the plausibility of getting Putined is high

10 hours ago, DON said:

Ranked #3 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #4 by SPORTSNET

Without the contract and russia baggage, hes number 2 ahead of fantilli

The talent shouldnt be a question.

But the risks are also there.

27 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Tonight will be one of those very rare nights where I will be cheering for the Leafs. Big win for Pittsburgh last night, hopefully they can string a few together.

The only thing I cheer for regarding the leafs is to lose in the first round AGAIN. 

Im not so confident this year 🥵

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The only thing I cheer for regarding the leafs is to lose in the first round AGAIN. 

Im not so confident this year 🥵

If you are looking at the big picture you want the Leafs to beat Florida the remaining 3 times they play them and then lose in the 1st round again.  I am not confident they lose in the 1st round either as Tampa has looked really bad lately but then again they have been known to turn it on in the playoffs. Cooper knows how to get them ready for the playoffs. 

42 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If you are looking at the big picture you want the Leafs to beat Florida the remaining 3 times they play them and then lose in the 1st round again.  I am not confident they lose in the 1st round either as Tampa has looked really bad lately but then again they have been known to turn it on in the playoffs. Cooper knows how to get them ready for the playoffs. 

Hopefully the fact that playoff hockey is so often spelled g-o-a-l-i-e will turn the tide Tampa's way.

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

the fact that playoff hockey is so often spelled 

Dom Alphabet on The Athletic; did an interesting look at make-up of cup winning rosters and playoff series winners.

Superstars carry the day for cup and playofff series winners.

Boston has the most with 8 this year, sad to say the Panthers also up there with 7 i think it was.

Only 54% of higher 'seeded' teams win series (fancy stats can up that % if betting as Commandant noted before). 

12 hours ago, DON said:

Dom Alphabet on The Athletic; did an interesting look at make-up of cup winning rosters and playoff series winners.

Superstars carry the day for cup and playofff series winners.

Boston has the most with 8 this year, sad to say the Panthers also up there with 7 i think it was.

Only 54% of higher 'seeded' teams win series (fancy stats can up that % if betting as Commandant noted before). 

Not really “superstars”; in his analysis, for forwards, for example, it would be the number of 75th-percentile players, or legitimate first-line forwards that mattered the most. So, if you can have a one-two punch of top two lines filled with first-lune quality forwards, for example, your odds improve significantly. (Also top pairing defenders and top-10 goalies.)

As I recall having more such players than the opponent gives you something like a 67% chance if winning any given series.

Here is a question to make sure I understand this correctly. Let's say Florida sneaks into the 8th playoff spot in the East and has the worst record of all playoff teams.  Unless the Panthers win 2 rounds and make the final 4, the Habs would draft 17th with that pick.  Is that correct? 

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Here is a question to make sure I understand this correctly. Let's say Florida sneaks into the 8th playoff spot in the East and has the worst record of all playoff teams.  Unless the Panthers win 2 rounds and make the final 4, the Habs would draft 17th with that pick.  Is that correct? 

Yep, if Florida has the fewest points of any playoff team and doesn't make the ECF, they'd send the Habs the 17th pick.

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yep, if Florida has the fewest points of any playoff team and doesn't make the ECF, they'd send the Habs the 17th pick.

Thanks, but here's hoping they don't make the playoffs.  Or if they do, they take out the Bruins in the 1st round and lose in the 2nd round. That would be funny. 

48 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Thanks, but here's hoping they don't make the playoffs.  Or if they do, they take out the Bruins in the 1st round and lose in the 2nd round. That would be funny. 

This scenario seems scary to me. 

We need Boston to smash the leafs because unless Vasilevskiy stands on his head, I don’t think the bolts stand a  chance. 

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This scenario seems scary to me. 

We need Boston to smash the leafs because unless Vasilevskiy stands on his head, I don’t think the bolts stand a  chance. 

I hear ya.  If Florida does make the playoffs I would much prefer they go out in the first round just to be safe. 

Zach Benson (5) & Eduard Sale (17) would both be intriguing prospects and barring Panther playoff run Habs should pick up couple good prospects similar to those 2 kids (if end up making both the picks). 

39 minutes ago, DON said:

Zach Benson (5) & Eduard Sale (17) would both be intriguing prospects and barring Panther playoff run Habs should pick up couple good prospects similar to those 2 kids (if end up making both the picks). 

It seems like the Habs will be drafting in that area unless we get lucky with the draw. A guy that really impressed me at the world juniors was Axel SandinPellikka, great mobility and puck handling skills, he seems likely to go mid first round. 

21 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It seems like the Habs will be drafting in that area unless we get lucky with the draw. A guy that really impressed me at the world juniors was Axel SandinPellikka, great mobility and puck handling skills, he seems likely to go mid first round. 

I was looking at stats and info on that players a few weeks back. That would be my pick in the 5-10 range 

Not a d-man that high, Zach Benson has 19 points in his last 10 games. I would prefer offensive forward at 5.

Maybe this guy

https://www.nhl.com/news/matvei-michkov-to-continue-development-in-khl-following-2023-nhl-draft/c-342305764?tid=277729154

Matvei Michkov, No. 2 on NHL Central Scouting's midterm ranking presented by BioSteel of International skaters, has a message for any NHL general manager hesitant to select him at the top of the 2023 NHL Draft.

"It is my dream to play in the NHL one day," Michkov told NHL.com through an interpreter. "But for now I will continue to work on my game and develop as a player at home."

Home at this moment is Russia, where the 18-year-old right wing (5-foot-10, 172 pounds) had 20 points (nine goals, 11 assists) in 30 games in the Kontinental Hockey League this season.