2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

50 minutes ago, DON said:

Not a d-man that high, Zach Benson has 19 points in his last 10 games. I would prefer offensive forward at 5.

I would also prefer a forward at 5, I was thinking that Pellikka might be a great choice with the Florida pick if he is still around. 

If bored, folks discussing the prospects.

Mitch Brown seems to put out some neat prospect breakdowns and seems to be pretty knowledgeable .

( and calling Benson a very smart player)

5 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I wouldn't take him at 5 but if he's there with Florida's pick I would take him. 

There is zero chance of him being available with Florida’s pick.

30 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I'm just saying if he goes past 10 we could always use Florida's pick to trade up and draft him. It may cost some extra picks as well, but he would be a good gamble after 10 but not top 5. 

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There is a slim chance if Florida's misses the playoffs and wins the lottery then that pick could move up from say 14 to 4.  A slim chance but still a chance. 

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There is a slim chance if Florida's misses the playoffs and wins the lottery then that pick could move up from say 14 to 4.  A slim chance but still a chance. 

There is a slim chance for alot of different stuff happening.

But, is a very good chance Panther pick is 15-20.

1 hour ago, DON said:

There is a slim chance for alot of different stuff happening.

But, is a very good chance Panther pick is 15-20.

Yes, that pick is most likely 14-18 unless

1) they make the playoffs and win a couple rounds (small chance)

2) they miss the playoffs and win the lottery (very slim chance)

Picking 20th would be almost impossible as they would have to leapfrog 3 teams in the playoffs (ie. the Kraken are 9 points ahead)

Let's hope they extend the losing streak on Monday.  Go Senators!!  It's weird cheering for teams like the Senators and the Leafs. 

9 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

You would think if we stay at #5 it's either Benson or Smith... unless one of the 2 go earlier but highly unlikey

That's exactly what I was thinking. They both seem like great prospects. I don't want the Habs  to drop below 6 as I think either one of those guys would be great.  

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yeah, worst case scenario they catch Arizona and Philly who have easier schedules left than the Habs.  Need a Habs loss and a Pittsburgh win tonight. 

Flyers also have two games on hand.

On 3/28/2023 at 10:56 AM, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

You would think if we stay at #5 it's either Benson or Smith... unless one of the 2 go earlier but highly unlikey

There has been some speculation that they'd prefer not to draft a particularly small player at that spot which, if true, would take those two off the table.

On 3/29/2023 at 6:22 PM, dlbalr said:

There has been some speculation that they'd prefer not to draft a particularly small player at that spot which, if true, would take those two off the table.

Smith is listed at 6' 172 lbs. so I would not consider that particularly small. Looks like they will likely finish in the #5 spot as Arizona has a much easier schedule. 

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Smith is listed at 6' 172 lbs. so I would not consider that particularly small. Looks like they will likely finish in the #5 spot as Arizona has a much easier schedule. 

Yes Smith seems acceptable size i assume?

And would they pass on Michkov because he is 5'8"?

Seems dumb plan to me.

Unless they have a guy in mind and will attempt to trade up or down for him?

18 minutes ago, DON said:

Seems dumb plan to me.

Elite Prospects lists him at 5'10", Hockeydb at 5'8" ... but there are other reasons to possibly avoid him, as have been discussed previously ... from what I read/hear there seems to be general agreement that Bedard is head and shoulders #1 and that there are three FRANCHISE-quality players (Fantelli, Carlsson and Michkov) so I would not be shocked if the Habs draft 4th or lower to see a trade.

28 minutes ago, DON said:

Seems dumb plan to me.

Michkov is also under contract in the KHL for three more years, so that is also a factor.

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Elite Prospects lists him at 5'10", Hockeydb at 5'8" ... but there are other reasons to possibly avoid him, as have been discussed previously ... from what I read/hear there seems to be general agreement that Bedard is head and shoulders #1 and that there are three FRANCHISE-quality players (Fantelli, Carlsson and Michkov) so I would not be shocked if the Habs draft 4th or lower to see a trade.

I wonder what the cost would be to move from #5 to #2 or #3 to get Carlsson or Fantilli. Would throwing in Florida's pick be enough?  Likely not. Getting a franchise center in this draft would be huge. I would assume the #1 pick is completely off the table. 

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Michkov is also under contract in the KHL for three more years, so that is also a factor.

OK, so his size will play a factor into his ranking on the Habs draft board, ignoring the contract as scouts would.

28 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

11 minutes ago, DON said:

OK, so his size will play a factor into his ranking on the Habs draft board, ignoring the contract as scouts would.

Scouts rate talent, not availability ... but, as thoroughly discussed previously, it is not just the three-year contract but the unknown of whether Russian players will be allowed to leave for the NHL ... both of which I expect will be factors on the Habs draft-board as that is a preference order and not simply a list based on skill/NHL-future projections.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Seems dumb plan to me.

I think the only reason for passing on Michkov is the Russian uncertainty factor and not really being able to see him play much with Covid and the Russian-Ukraine war. If we have the number two pick, and that uncertainty isn’t there, and he is clearly the number two guy, I’d say take him. But with the additional geopolitical issues, and this being a deep draft, I’d be hesitant. The last thing we need is if this draft has the potential to become like the 2003 draft, and we make a Kostitsyn type pick and pass on a lot potential future HOF’ers like we did in 2003.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think the only reason for passing on Michkov is the Russian uncertainty factor and not really being able to see him play much with Covid and the Russian-Ukraine war. If we have the number two pick, and that uncertainty isn’t there, and he is clearly the number two guy, I’d say take him. But with the additional geopolitical issues, and this being a deep draft, I’d be hesitant...

Putin has raised the age limit for conscription ... how long before he extends the one-year mandatory term to retain numbers in the military to support his war in Ukraine ... Michkov would never end up on the front lines but he could be conscripted to CSKA Red Army ... all speculative, admittedly ... but until players start coming over (e.g., Ivan Fedotov this summer??) it is fair to be concerned.