2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

I really want the Habs to pick Mitchkov.

Lets assume that Bedard, Fantili and Carlsson are taken top 3 and that we pick 4th.

That would give the Habs some time to “sort out”. A lot of player has taken steps this season to earn spot on the line-up. The Dach-experiment worked in our favor, Harvey-Pinard is scoring goals, the all-rookie-defence is also a lot better than expected, and Lane Hutson could be a Norris defender in the making…

Selecting Mitchkov could mean the the Habs could have the following top-6 in a couple of years;

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield

Harvey-Pinard - Dach - Mitchkov

31 minutes ago, ch_nl said:

Lets assume that Bedard, Fantili and Carlsson are taken top 3 and that we pick 4th.

That would give the Habs some time to “sort out”. A lot of player has taken steps this season to earn spot on the line-up. The Dach-experiment worked in our favor, Harvey-Pinard is scoring goals, the all-rookie-defence is also a lot better than expected, and Lane Hutson could be a Norris defender in the making…

Selecting Mitchkov could mean the the Habs could have the following top-6 in a couple of years;

It's almost impossible for Montreal to pick 4th.  They're nine points up on San Jose, I don't think the Sharks are gaining that many points on the Habs with just seven games to go.  They're looking at 1st or 2nd, wherever they finish, or one or two spots below that.  (In other words, as of now, 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th are the options.)

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

It's almost impossible for Montreal to pick 4th.  They're nine points up on San Jose, I don't think the Sharks are gaining that many points on the Habs with just seven games to go.  They're looking at 1st or 2nd, wherever they finish, or one or two spots below that.  (In other words, as of now, 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th are the options.)

Yup, that sums up their draft positioning pretty well.  Might need Arizona to win a game or two so the Habs don't catch them but looking at tonights game the Habs might finish with 66 points.  

14 hours ago, ch_nl said:

Michkov seems pretty intriguing prospect, for sure.

17 hours ago, ch_nl said:

I really want the Habs to pick Mitchkov ...

2 hours ago, DON said:

Michkov seems pretty intriguing prospect, for sure.

Michkov is undoubtedly an intriguing talent ... quite possibly the second best player in this draft.

But I think there is too much focus on his contract running through 2025-26 and not enough on whether Russian players will even be allowed to move to the NHL ... to give context to the contract, the earliest he could join the Habs is for the 2026-27 season ... that is so far down the road in NHL terms that at this moment the Habs only have 3 players under contract for that season.

The Flyers' goalie Ivan Fedotov will be the test case this summer ... to prevent him from joining Philadelphia this season, he was conscripted last summer and assigned to CSKA Red Army in the KHL ... theoretically Russian conscription is for one year, so this will be an interesting summer. 

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Michkov is undoubtedly an intriguing talent ... quite possibly the second best player in this draft.

But I think there is too much focus on his contract running through 2025-26 and not enough on whether Russian players will even be allowed to move to the NHL ... to give context to the contract, the earliest he could join the Habs is for the 2026-27 season ... that is so far down the road in NHL terms that at this moment the Habs only have 3 players under contract for that season.

The Flyers' goalie Ivan Fedotov will be the test case this summer ... to prevent him from joining Philadelphia this season, he was conscripted last summer and assigned to CSKA Red Army in the KHL ... theoretically Russian conscription is for one year, so this will be an interesting summer. 

Yeah we can’t afford to gamble with our ~ 5th overall pick. 

Nothing is guaranteed of course but we need to draft an impact player at ~5. Rolling the dice with that pick on a player that reasonably may never see Montreal is not wise IMO

I would 100% be willing to use Florida’s pick whether 14 or 28 though

18 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah we can’t afford to gamble with our ~ 5th overall pick. 

Nothing is guaranteed of course but we need to draft an impact player at ~5. Rolling the dice with that pick on a player that reasonably may never see Montreal is not wise IMO

I would 100% be willing to use Florida’s pick whether 14 or 28 though

It's always a bit of a gamble. He won't be around past 10.  If he is around at 5 then I think you have to look long and hard at the possibility of taking him. He might not be around for a couple years but we tend to rush young guys too much anyway. That might be a good thing. He has already indicated he wants to play in the NHL at some point. A lot to think about. It will be interesting to see how far he falls. 

17 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... He has already indicated he wants to play in the NHL at some point ...

His "want" is not the concern.

38 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I know the political stuff is the big concern and that's the only reason he may be available at 5. 

Even at #5 it is a VERY pertinent concern as it could be a totally wasted selection.

the theory of best player available assumes the player is actually available.

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Even at #5 it is a VERY pertinent concern as it could be a totally wasted selection.

the theory of best player available assumes the player is actually available.

It is a pertinent concern, no disagreement there. The question is at what selection point is Michkov so overwhelmingly the best player available that you are willing to take the extra risk. Is it 5, 10, 15?  I don't know. But I think at 5 teams will seriously consider taking him if he isn't gone by then. 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Don’t you only retain rights to a drafted player for 4 years? Or is that only for USA college players?

10 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Don’t you only retain rights to a drafted player for 4 years? Or is that only for USA college players?

According to this article if they are drafted from a country without a transfer agreement (ie. Russia) then they hold their NHL rights forever.  This article is a little old so unless things have changed it would be forever for Michkov. 

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nhl/understanding-rules-governing-the-nhl-entry-draft-2001090/

54 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

According to this article if they are drafted from a country without a transfer agreement (ie. Russia) then they hold their NHL rights forever.  This article is a little old so unless things have changed it would be forever for Michkov. 

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nhl/understanding-rules-governing-the-nhl-entry-draft-2001090/

At the moment, there remains no Player Transfer Agreement between the NHL and Russia so this still applies.  There's some talk about Russia possibly wanting to pull out of the IIHF and try to negotiate individual releases with the NHL which could muddy things up even more.  This is only at the hypothetical stage though, nothing imminent there.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

At the moment, there remains no Player Transfer Agreement between the NHL and Russia so this still applies.  There's some talk about Russia possibly wanting to pull out of the IIHF and try to negotiate individual releases with the NHL which could muddy things up even more.  This is only at the hypothetical stage though, nothing imminent there.

Thanks for the clarification. 

On 4/2/2023 at 4:05 PM, dlbalr said:

Thanks. So for now, we would retain his rights, but that could change if there was an agreement in the future. When these types of agreements are signed, are they usually retroactive?

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Thanks. So for now, we would retain his rights, but that could change if there was an agreement in the future. When these types of agreements are signed, are they usually retroactive?

why gamble? let's hope the Habs take a player that does not have that hanging over his future.

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I'm honestly not sure.  The last time this happened was a few years ago with Switzerland when I want to see they didn't have one around 2017 but signed one in 2020 and I don't remember if there was a retroactive change.  At a minimum, players drafted from a European team have their rights held for at least four years so even if Russia eventually signed a transfer deal, I think that four-year element would be in there which would take Michkov past the end of his contract.

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It doesn't sound like natural causes, he was only 51. 

He was apparently found drowned in a lake. 

So no, not natural. 

Whether its homicide or not is the question.