2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

1 hour ago, DON said:

Havent heard alot on the russian kid but Pronman pretty high on him.

https://theathletic.com/4257787/2023/03/07/nhl-draft-top-prospects-2023-corey-pronman/

"Analysis: Michkov is one of the very best first-year draft eligibles I’ve ever seen from inside the offensive blue line. He has truly special offensive skill and hockey sense. His mind operates differently from other players in how he sees the play develop and always seems to find ways to figure into scoring chances despite not being the biggest or fastest. His mind is special, but he’s freakishly skilled with the puck too and can make elite stickhandling plays seem routine."

From what I have read/heard, there is no denying his skill ... but the current political situation threatens a return to Russian players not being allowed to leave for the NHL ... a test will be Flyers elite goalie prospect Ivan Fedotov ... he was supposed to be in TC with the Flyers last fall but was kidnapped/conscripted by Putin et al and forced to play with CSKA Red Army this past season ... whether Fedetov is allowed to join Philadelphia for 23/24 likely won't be known until after the draft ... so it is not only the two years remaining on Michkov's KHL contract that is an issue, but POTENTIALLY whether he is ever allowed to leave.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

From what I have read/heard, there is no denying his skill ... but the current political situation threatens a return to Russian players not being allowed to leave for the NHL ... a test will be Flyers elite goalie prospect Ivan Fedotov ... he was supposed to be in TC with the Flyers last fall but was kidnapped/conscripted by Putin et al and forced to play with CSKA Red Army this past season ... whether Fedetov is allowed to join Philadelphia for 23/24 likely won't be known until after the draft ... so it is not only the two years remaining on Michkov's KHL contract that is an issue, but POTENTIALLY whether he is ever allowed to leave.

Fedotov didn't actually play at all this season, they sent him to a remote outpost in Siberia to serve his mandatory fulfilment.  There were rumblings they'd delay it if he went back to CSKA but I don't think anything was confirmed on that front.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he attempt to military draft dodge and was sent to a military outpost as a result?

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Fedotov didn't actually play at all this season, they sent him to a remote outpost in Siberia to serve his mandatory fulfilment.  There were rumblings they'd delay it if he went back to CSKA but I don't think anything was confirmed on that front.

Apologies ... I recall what you posted (and had posted such previously) ... but was distracted earlier when I Googled to check on this past season and misread a story on his 21/22 season.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he attempt to military draft dodge and was sent to a military outpost as a result?

That was the "alleged reason" ... of course I don't know that the rule had been enforced uniformly ... Fedotov was the starting (and star) goalie on the Russian Olympic Committee team at the 2022 Olympics ... players who have been allowed to leave in the last couple of years seem to have been of a lower profile.

It is still unknown if they let him leave this summer ... their conscription rules have changed in recent months ... and Putin et al tend to do whatever they want regardless.

• Like 1

Draft Lottery, another 12 days.

Habs cant win 2 in a row, can they.

So Habs can end up 1st, 5, 6 or 7th, is that correct?

Adding a Fantilli or Carlsson seems pretty appealing; but they will likley go 2nd, 3rd, or 4th is general feeling it seems. 

22 minutes ago, DON said:

Draft Lottery, another 12 days.

So Habs can end up 1st, 5, 6 or 7th, is that correct?

Adding a Fantilli or Carlsson seems pretty appealing; but they will likley go 2nd, 3rd, or 4th is general feeling it seems. 

Edmonton did it three in a row and 4 times in 6 years (albeit different odds).

There are two lotteries ... for first overall and for 2nd overall ... so they can also draft 2nd ... there may also be a scenario where Ottawa wins the first lottery but can only move up to 2nd pick overall (10 spaces from 12th) and Habs win the 2nd draw ... the result is that Anaheim locks in at #1 and puts Montreal at #3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

You can move up by winning twice in a five-year period, no more. But since the Habs didn’t move up last year, that doesn’t count against this rule.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

You can move up by winning twice in a five-year period, no more. But since the Habs didn’t move up last year, that doesn’t count against this rule.

Sorry, was more just pondering than asking, but thanks

U-18 Team Canada, just not very good team it seemed and out matched by Sweden yesterday; but, was too bad they lost their #1 goalie.

Can Sweden keep up to USA today, probably not.

The BC-line piling up the points.

US program really seems to be pumping out quality prospects.

image.png

POTENTIALLY good news for Michkov in the upcoming draft ... but, *** IF *** CSKA Red Army is willing to do the same it would only be for the 2025/26 season ... Miroshnichenko was a slight reach by the Caps at #20 ... Michkjov is by many accounts almost as good talent-wise as Bedard ... and, a year younger than Ivan, Mayvei had a more impactful rookie season in the KHL ... that all could impact the decision.

Do most locals want a winner, or more french players at the expense of winning? 

Or is it more that the french media talking heads are continuing criticizing and raising this issue?

image.png

8 hours ago, DON said:

Do most locals want a winner, or more french players at the expense of winning? 

Or is it more that the french media talking heads are continuing criticizing and raising this issue?

image.png

A couple of media members in particular seem to push this.  Luc Gelinas usually has a rant on Day 2 of the draft about not drafting enough locals, seemingly oblivious to the idea that maybe, just maybe, the scouts think the non-local is a better player. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Really hoping/dreaming/praying for 1 or 2 but will be ok if we stay at 5 as that means we could get Smith but there are always surprises. 

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

It can't be 3rd. 

That's what I originally thought but there is some really weird configuration if a team behind them moves up 10 spots where they have something like a .03% chance of drafting 3rd. 

Wheeler's 2022 draft hindsight Q/A

https://theathletic.com/4482279/2023/05/04/nhl-draft-bedard-carlsson-fantilli/

"Where would last year’s top draftees be slotted among this year’s group? — Elliot B.

Where do you think the top five from last year would go if they were available in this year’s draft? — Steve S.

Going back to where I was at on Shane Wright, Simon Nemec, Logan Cooley, Matthew Savoie, Juraj Slafkovsky and David Jiricek (my top six from 2022) and excluding everything I’ve seen of them since, they each would have ranked in a jumble with the players I have slotted 6-17 in my third tier on this year’s ranking. Wright, Nemec and Cooley would have grouped with Benson, Moore, Perreault, Dvorsky, Wood and Leonard at the front of that group, and Savoie, Slafkovsky and Jiricek would have likely ranked with Eduard Sale, Andrew Cristall, Brayden Yager, David Reinbacher, Sandin Pellikka and Colby Barlow."

On 5/2/2023 at 6:55 PM, dlbalr said:

A couple of media members in particular seem to push this.  Luc Gelinas usually has a rant on Day 2 of the draft about not drafting enough locals, seemingly oblivious to the idea that maybe, just maybe, the scouts think the non-local is a better player. 

Ducks maybe have better Q-scouts?

https://chl.ca/article/2022-23-qmjhl-awards-tracker

Emile Bouchard Trophy — Defenceman of the Year
Tristan Luneau — Gatineau Olympiques

Luneau (ANA) led all QMJHL defencemen with 83 points in 2022-23, a number that also set a new Olympiques franchise record for most points by a blueliner in one season. He was also +49.

Kevin Lowe Trophy — Top Defensive Defenceman
Tyson Hinds — Sherbrooke Phoenix

Hinds (ANA), who won World Juniors gold in January, established new career highs in goals (11), assists (43) and points (54).

Guy Carbonneau Trophy — Top Defensive Forward
Nathan Gaucher — Quebec Remparts

In 44 games, Gaucher (ANA) had 46 points while he won 59.4 per cent of his faceoffs. Gaucher also claimed a second straight World Juniors gold medal in Halifax in January.