2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I remember Sergai Kostitsyn killed it on a line with Patrick Kane in the OHL.

How much do his seemingly "perfect" linemates impact his performance or ranking...any?

Big bad Bob Mackenzie has for the possible Hab spots;

1/2 are givens

#3 Smith

4 Carlsson

5 Michkov

6 Dvorsky

7 Leonard

All seemingly good options, not sure I would take Leonard over a Benson/Barlow.

#5 moved up to 2nd last year, will it be same this year; Fantilli would look OK in a Hab jersey.

https://theathletic.com/4453404/2023/05/05/nhl-draft-lottery-format-rules-odds/?source=weeklyemail&campaign=602288

In the 2022 lottery, the “winning” numbers were 1-3-4-13, which corresponded to Montreal, who came into the draft with the best odds (18.5 percent). The Canadiens selected winger Juraj Slafkovsky with the No. 1 pick.

The second combination of numbers was 3-5-10-14, which corresponded to New Jersey. The Devils moved up from No. 5 to No. 2 in the order.

So Habs might use Flames pick next year (depending how Calgary future's looking)? I didnt know that.

If making a trade this year, Hughes could dangle; the Panthers 1st this year, Habs 1st next year, or Flames in 24 or 2025.

https://www.capfriendly.com/draft/2025?pick=5

Aug. 18, 2022

Montreal Canadiens Acquire:
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
2025 1st round pick (CGY) [Conditional]*
*Conditions: 1. If CGY’s 2024 1st round pick is between 20 and 32, MTL can take that pick instead. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY receives FLA’s 2025 1st round pick:
1. If both CGY AND FLA’s picks are NOT top 10, MTL will receive the better of the CGY and FLA 2025 1st round picks. Result: TBD

2. If CGY’s pick is top 10, AND FLA’s pick is NOT top 10, MTL receives FLA’s pick. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY does NOT receive FLA’s 1st round pick:

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is NOT top 10
1. MTL will receive the CGY pick, and
2. If FLA’s pick is not top 10, is a better pick than CGY’s, and was transferred to another team due to prior conditions, MTL will also receive CGY’s 2025 4th round pick.
Result: TBD

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is top 10:
1. If CGY’s pick is 1st overall, MTL will receive CGY’s 2025 3rd, and the better of CGY and FLA’s 2026 1st round pick. Result: TBD
2. If CGY’s pick is 2nd to 10th, MTL receives CGY’s 2025 1st round pick. Result: TBD

7 hours ago, DON said:

So Habs might use Flames pick next year (depending how Calgary future's looking)? I didnt know that.

If making a trade this year, Hughes could dangle; the Panthers 1st this year, Habs 1st next year, or Flames in 24 or 2025.

https://www.capfriendly.com/draft/2025?pick=5

Aug. 18, 2022

Montreal Canadiens Acquire:
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
2025 1st round pick (CGY) [Conditional]*
*Conditions: 1. If CGY’s 2024 1st round pick is between 20 and 32, MTL can take that pick instead. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY receives FLA’s 2025 1st round pick:
1. If both CGY AND FLA’s picks are NOT top 10, MTL will receive the better of the CGY and FLA 2025 1st round picks. Result: TBD

2. If CGY’s pick is top 10, AND FLA’s pick is NOT top 10, MTL receives FLA’s pick. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY does NOT receive FLA’s 1st round pick:

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is NOT top 10
1. MTL will receive the CGY pick, and
2. If FLA’s pick is not top 10, is a better pick than CGY’s, and was transferred to another team due to prior conditions, MTL will also receive CGY’s 2025 4th round pick.
Result: TBD

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is top 10:
1. If CGY’s pick is 1st overall, MTL will receive CGY’s 2025 3rd, and the better of CGY and FLA’s 2026 1st round pick. Result: TBD
2. If CGY’s pick is 2nd to 10th, MTL receives CGY’s 2025 1st round pick. Result: TBD

Trying to figure those conditions makes my brain hurt. Only 1 more sleep until we know where we draft. Please Santa, I have been a good boy this year. All I want is Connor Bedard in my stocking. Is that too much to ask? 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Trying to figure those conditions makes my brain hurt. Only 1 more sleep until we know where we draft. Please Santa, I have been a good boy this year. All I want is Connor Bedard in my stocking. Is that too much to ask? 

I think Ducks, Canucks and Sharks never have had a #1 pick.

Dont they "deserve" one the most? And a drop to 5th place for Chicago would be awful nice.

6th is most likely spot eh 44%, which is 'fine' given the players available.

image.png

3 hours ago, DON said:

I think Ducks, Canucks and Sharks never have had a #1 pick.

Dont they "deserve" one the most? 

Nope.  Nobody really deserves it.  It's just a question of who will get it. Hope it's the Habs but I will settle for maintaining the #5 spot. 

7 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Nope.  Nobody really deserves it.  It's just a question of who will get it. Hope it's the Habs but I will settle for maintaining the #5 spot. 

I mean, that teams who have never had a 1st overall pick, get an extra number combo or two (if lottery team) until they do.

(Canucks owner always has seemingly preferred to be competitive and sell tickets than to ever tank.)

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Well, better than 6th or 7th.

IT WAS RIGGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kidding

sort of

gotta say that drafting at 5 and 29-32 is pretty disappointing from such a season of futility. Now we just have to hit on our picks.

Also sucks that Chicago got rewarded for their intentional suckage.

2 minutes ago, Neech said:

gotta say that drafting at 5 and 29-32 is pretty disappointing from such a season of futility. Now we just have to hit on our picks.

Also sucks that Chicago got rewarded for their intentional suckage.

Weren’t we 5th last in the standings? Seems an equitable result. If the hype around this draft pool is accurate, 5th should position us for a stud. 

Good point about Chicago 

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Weren’t we 5th last in the standings? Seems an equitable result. If the hype around this draft pool is accurate, 5th should position us for a stud.

Right. it would have been nice to win but 5th is much better than 7th!

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good point about Chicago 

Yep

And seperation of top 4 and 5th ( 8 / 9 pts )

Now at 5: Will Smith ? ( Assuming someone will grab Michkov in top 4)

Suzuki

Smith

Dach

( Not bad top 3 C , within same age grp )

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good point about Chicago 

Agreed. Glad we didn't drop any further as there was about a 50/50 chance of that happening. Drafting 5th means we may have the choice between Smith/Michkov but there is usually a surprise. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed. Glad we didn't drop any further as there was about a 50/50 chance of that happening. Drafting 5th means we may have the choice between Smith/Michkov but there is usually a surprise. 

I have a feeling that we'll pass on Michkov if he's there for us.

I don't want Michkov. Not a comment on his skill but I fear that it will be thought getting him to North America.  Assuming Smith and Karlsson ect.  are gone who else is looking promising? Who's the guy people want other than Michkov?

3 minutes ago, sim.on said:

I don't want Michkov. Not a comment on his skill but I fear that it will be thought getting him to North America.  Assuming Smith and Karlsson ect.  are gone who else is looking promising? Who's the guy people want other than Michkov?

Zach Benson 98pts WHL

Dvorski Slovac

Ryan Leonard 51g USA

D'oh, the Habs didn't win Bedard, but they stay in the same spot at 5th. Oh well, at least most of the teams that I really didn't want to see get him ended up getting him.  It sucks that the Hawks purposeful BS tankfest got rewarded though.

11 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

It sucks that the Hawks purposeful BS tankfest got rewarded though.

Hey man, haven't you heard? NHL teams don't tank. Bettman said so, so it's OBVIOUSLY true. 🙄

Can't help but feel disappointed that we didn't have some luck and move up a bit.  By the time we pick, Fantilli will definitely be gone, and almost surely Carlsson will be gone too.  Michkov will surely fall, so we have to pray someone takes Benson over Smith if we want a blue chip centre prospect.