2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

52 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I highly doubt that scenario.  The opportunity to declare that a Russian is the greatest goal scorer of all time is too good to pass up.  The KHL will never rival the NHL.  Best case scenario by far is that we get some peace in the world and we don't have to discuss stuff like this. 

I think if he drops down to the caps, and if they take him, who knows, the Russians may even let him go next year to help Ovi.

Regarding Dalibor Dvorsky.

I’ve followed hin for some time as he’s playing for ”my” team in Sweden, AIK.

There are some profilic player that have taken the route via the second tier leauge in Sweden and Junior Hockey. There’s a tendency for overlooking those players.

They include Elias Pettersson, Henrik Zetterberg, Anze Kopitar, Jesper Bratt and David Pastrnak to name a few.

If you look at production in both leauges, it’s clear that Pettersson’s production didn’t dip when playing with men, otherwise all of the players above are somewhat similar in stats.

Dalibor Dvorsky is showing similar stats. Also being the youngest.

Dvorsky might be this years steal.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think if he drops down to the caps, and if they take him, who knows, the Russians may even let him go next year to help Ovi.

I think that's very possible. You would think the Capitals would be very interested in Michkov. If he is available at 5, I wonder what the Capitals could offer to switch picks. 

3 hours ago, ch_nl said:

Regarding Dalibor Dvorsky.

Dalibor Dvorsky is showing similar stats. Also being the youngest.

Dvorsky might be this years steal.

Ya, even last year he looked good and again in little i saw of him. I would be all for his name being called.

https://theathletic.com/4500204/2023/05/08/nhl-mock-draft-2023-connor-bedard-blackhawks/?source=targeted_email&campaign=6791225&email_login=dmockler%40outlook.com

And i would be doing a huge happy dance if this fella was still available at 5, as the Athletic mock placed him.

Have you sees Carlsson play much? Any impression?

5. Montreal Canadiens: Leo Carlsson, C, Orebro (SWEDEN)
Canadiens general manager Kent Hughes, moments after learning his team was staying put and picking at No. 5 in the 2023 NHL Draft, was asked what his organization values in a draft prospect. “We certainly value hockey sense, character. Those are two that are going to come out all the time,” Hughes began by saying. “Compete is another one.”

In a nutshell, Hughes was describing Leo Carlsson, though he left out the size, the ability to play a two-way game and the incredible skill in his game, whether that’s at center or on the wing.

After adding Juraj Slafkovský with the No. 1 pick at last year’s draft and trading for Kirby Dach a few minutes later, bringing the 6-foot-3, 200-pound Carlsson into the organization gives the Canadiens the makings of an imposing front line surrounding two players less known for their size but with tons of skill in Nick Suzuki and Cole Caufield. —Arpon Basu

I highly doubt that Carlsson would be still available at 5th.   Just in case though can Hughes ask Dvorsky to see a Bone Chronologist?  I'm joking with that, but he is only 17 so it is possible that he hasn't finished growing yet.  It would be highly beneficial to know if he could grow another inch or 2.  

I'm pretty sure Dvorsky will end up being 220+ lbs so he could be similar in size and skill with Timo Meier.  I imagine that he could get Trouba'd and manage to play in the next round.  

For lack of starting another thread on drafts. Curious :

( Lane Hutson especially )Screenshot_20230509_224542_Instagram~2.jpg

2022 redraft from Instagram post

cool getting Hutson in later round. And he appears to have grown an inch or 2.

Hutson hasnt played 1 game as a pro yet (next spring in the NHL playoffs will see him, perhaps) and is smaller than 90+% of NHL d-men.

But, had a fantastic year for sure.

A RH puck-moving d-man like him would be awesome to draft this year ....maybe the Swedish kid- Sandin Pellikka would seem to be a nice fit; but likely gone in 10-15 range.

12 hours ago, HabsWEST said:

For lack of starting another thread on drafts. Curious :

( Lane Hutson especially )Screenshot_20230509_224542_Instagram~2.jpg

2022 redraft from Instagram post

cool getting Hutson in later round. And he appears to have grown an inch or 2.

min my re-draft I would have drafted Nemec if I could have dropped in the draft and picked up any additional assets. I really like him as a prospect more than Slafkovsky who reminds me of 

Latendresse

On 5/8/2023 at 10:17 PM, sbhatt said:

Can't help but feel disappointed that we didn't have some luck and move up a bit.  By the time we pick, Fantilli will definitely be gone, and almost surely Carlsson will be gone too.  Michkov will surely fall, so we have to pray someone takes Benson over Smith if we want a blue chip centre prospect.

I'm fine with Suzuki - Dach as our top 2 centres with Michkov on the wing.

To me you take whichever one is left at 5 between Smith, Michkov and Carlsson.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I just saw your post after I posted mine but I agree. I think there is less risk with Michkov than many think. It might be a great opportunity if he drops to 5. 

Anyone you draft at 5 is not playing in the NHL net year, and may take two years. 

If Michkov takes 3, who cares if he's the best of the bunch?

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Anyone you draft at 5 is not playing in the NHL net year, and may take two years. 

If Michkov takes 3, who cares if he's the best of the bunch?

If he were known to be coming over in three years, the risk would be low. But he's also got military service -- and what if he turns out so well that SKA offers him a $5M (or more) extension, instead of the $1M ELC? Or if Putin disallows hockey players going to the NHL altogether? I don't know ow to quantify these issues, so I'll be very happy if we can get Smith or Carlsson instead.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If he were known to be coming over in three years, the risk would be low. But he's also got military service -- and what if he turns out so well that SKA offers him a $5M (or more) extension, instead of the $1M ELC? Or if Putin disallows hockey players going to the NHL altogether? I don't know ow to quantify these issues, so I'll be very happy if we can get Smith or Carlsson instead.

There are certainly unknowns, and Poutine Putin is unpredictable ... hopefully Bobrov still has good ties from his years as St. Petersburg SKA 's North Amercian Scouting Director (coincidentally Michkov's team) and can gain some useful insights.

Some insight into SKA, from an Athletic article (about Michkov) from Dec 2021. Food for thought.

In an interview with The Athletic, [SKA CEO] Roman Rotenberg discussed Michkov, his contract and the direction of the SKA organization.

“We have a long-term strategy and [Michkov] is one of the big parts of the strategy we have. Championship teams take time to build. It’s very important to have players signed for long-term,” Rotenberg said. “We want to develop him into one of the best players in the world, that’s our aim.”

One NHL source suggested SKA “is attempting to become the 33rd NHL team.”

The team will play in a soon-to-be-completed 22,000-seat arena. They aggressively acquire top young talent and use their second-tier pro team in the VHL much like NHL teams use their AHL teams. (...)

Nikolai Bobrov, who until recently was the director of European scouting for the New York Rangers, told The Athletic that SKA is positioning itself to be “like an NHL organization with all the revenue streams that are customary to top NHL franchises.” Bobrov was SKA’s chief North American scout for three years, and his father scouts for them as well.

Michkov, Rotenberg, and several NHL sources said SKA’s high-end infrastructure and facilities are NHL caliber and important variables that led to Michkov signing the long-term deal.

ONE BALL away.. luck of the draw

So close but so far :

"....

The winning combination and the Chicago Blackhawks? Here it is:

4-5-9-13

While the Montreal Canadiens had the following combination:

4-5-9-11

So it came down to the fourth ball of the frame, and the Montreal Canadiens were in the race until the very end. Kent Hughes and Jeff Gorton had hope until the end, but in the end, the #13 ball came out, not the #11...."

https://www.habsfanatics.com/Major-Development-NHL-announces-that-Kent-Hughes-and-the-CH-were-one-ball-away-from-winning-Connor-Bedard-234799

9 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Who was the last Russian prospect at this level who refused to come over because his Russian team offered him a new contract?  There really isn't one... so I'm not going to put much weight on that possibility. 

Putin not allowing hockey players to go to the NHL?  Yeah, I don't think that's likely either. 

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Who was the last Russian prospect at this level who refused to come over because his Russian team offered him a new contract?  There really isn't one... so I'm not going to put much weight on that possibility. 

Putin not allowing hockey players to go to the NHL?  Yeah, I don't think that's likely either. 

Who knows, maybe the war is over in less than 3 years and he is allowed to go to nhl earlier.

With Roy and Mesar as small Right Wingers in the system i highly doubt the Habs will Pick Michkov, and will go for more size. I have more faith in the bigger Centres in this draft. Think Smith/Carlsson or Dvorsky would be very nice for the habs. Also cuz its still uncertain of Dach could be our number two centre, of we will have a Chucky problem all over again. For now he excells on the wing.

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Most of the top Russian prospects in recent years were not 5-year KHL veterans (hopefully an established star; otherwise, why even bring him over) as Michkov would be in the summer of 2026 ... and while the KHL has a modest (by NHL standards) salary cap ($13M-ish) apparently it totally ignores bonuses ... rendering it effectively moot ... and Poutine places great importance on sports as a propaganda tool, both domestically and internationally ... so who knows what inducements MM might be offered (other than/before Poutine prohibiting MM's departure or effectively imposing a new contract) ... ***NOT*** saying it is ikely, but I think it is a possible obstacle.

4 hours ago, Dutch_Habs_Fan said:

With Roy and Mesar as small Right Wingers in the system i highly doubt the Habs will Pick Michkov, and will go for more size. I have more faith in the bigger Centres in this draft. Think Smith/Carlsson or Dvorsky would be very nice for the habs. Also cuz its still uncertain of Dach could be our number two centre, of we will have a Chucky problem all over again. For now he excells on the wing.

You dont let Roy and Mesar, who may not even be NHLers get in the way of drafting Michkov.  They shouldnt even be part of that conversation.

As for Dach, he was a possession monster on whatever line they put him, both centre and wing.  Yes he had more points on wing but was also playing with Caufield and Suzuki, while he didnt get the same talent on his line at centre.  I think he will succeed wherever we put him.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Most of the top Russian prospects in recent years were not 5-year KHL veterans (hopefully an established star; otherwise, why even bring him over) as Michkov would be in the summer of 2026 ... and while the KHL has a modest (by NHL standards) salary cap ($13M-ish) apparently it totally ignores bonuses ... rendering it effectively moot ... and Poutine places great importance on sports as a propaganda tool, both domestically and internationally ... so who knows what inducements MM might be offered (other than/before Poutine prohibiting MM's departure or effectively imposing a new contract) ... ***NOT*** saying it is ikely, but I think it is a possible obstacle.

Yes, and as a propaganda tool playing in the NHL is more effective.

I agree its not impossible, I just think its unlikely.

Michkov.is the best Russian prospect since Ovi and Malkin.  While Smith and Carlsson are good, for the level of talent that Michkov is, Im willing to take the risk.  He has the chance to be the Habs best forward since Lafleur.  

40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Michkov.is the best Russian prospect since Ovi and Malkin.  While Smith and Carlsson are good, for the level of talent that Michkov is, Im willing to take the risk.  He has the chance to be the Habs best forward since Lafleur.  

Right -- his ceiling is very high, but that is not guaranteed, just like any draft prospect. Additionally, there is the availability risk (discussed above) and the assessment risk (none of the scouts have seen him play live in the past year). So, the various draft rankings have him all over the place as no one really knows how much risk appetite each of the draftingteams has.

54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes, and as a propaganda tool playing in the NHL is more effective.

I agree its not impossible, I just think its unlikely.

1. NOT saying they should not draft Michkov, just that there are a lot of factors to consider that don't exist for other options.

2. Poutine's idea of "glory" is at home in the KHL for domestic glory and at Olympics, World Championships, etc. for international glory.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Right -- his ceiling is very high, but that is not guaranteed, just like any draft prospect. Additionally, there is the availability risk (discussed above) and the assessment risk (none of the scouts have seen him play live in the past year). So, the various draft rankings have him all over the place as no one really knows how much risk appetite each of the draftingteams has.

Well it took Lafleur 3 years to develop… so if he does turn out to be that good, I’m not concerned about availability. Bigger risk is that the opportunity to scout him closer wasn’t there.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

1. NOT saying they should not draft Michkov, just that there are a lot of factors to consider that don't exist for other options.

2. Poutine's idea of "glory" is at home in the KHL for domestic glory and at Olympics, World Championships, etc. for international glory.

Absolutely agree about point 1.  If there weren't other factors then we wouldn't be having this discussion as he would be long gone by the time the Habs draft at 5. 

Agree about the Olympics and World Championships, I am sure Putin knows that if they are able to obliterate Ukraine and take it over then it will be a long long time before Russia can participate in these events although that is unlikely to be a determining factor in his war decisions.