2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

But there is maybe 1 projected top 10 d-man, but seems a reach to me at 5 given better looking forward options.

And adding an all-star d-man, likely wouldnt have near the impact as an elite point/game 1st line forward.

But, if the Austrian d-man is picked, is fine by me, same if Michkov chosen... assume those who know prospects debated it and was Hughes final choice.

Draft is a crapshoot and fingers crossed they pick a good one, even if have to wait 3 or 4 years for him.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DON said:

But there is maybe 1 projected top 10 d-man, but seems a reach to me at 5 given better looking forward options.

And adding an all-star d-man, likely wouldnt have near the impact as an elite point/game 1st line forward.

But, if the Austrian d-man is picked, is fine by me, same if Michkov chosen... assume those who know prospects debated it and was Hughes final choice.

Draft is a crapshoot and fingers crossed they pick a good one, even if have to wait 3 or 4 years for him.

Yeah - I've always found commentary around draft day much too lacking in humility. The cardinal example, of course, is Macguire sh*tting all over Gainey for drafting Price 🙄 Almost nobody in the media or among the fans has access to the level of information pro scouts do, and even with all the info in the world, it's as much art as science.

That being said, scouts and management groups are PAID to make the decision on draft day. And if they make the wrong decision too often, or blow a crucial decision - e.g., if Slaf turns out to be a dud - they gotta wear it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah - I've always found commentary around draft day much too lacking in humility. The cardinal example, of course, is Macguire sh*tting all over Gainey for drafting Price 🙄 Almost nobody in the media or among the fans has access to the level of information pro scouts do, and even with all the info in the world, it's as much art as science.

That being said, scouts and management groups are PAID to make the decision on draft day. And if they make the wrong decision too often, or blow a crucial decision - e.g., if Slaf turns out to be a dud - they gotta wear it. 

Good post, agree 100%. Some executives/former executives that they quote on draft day seem to know exactly how an 18 year old kid is going to turn out. I remember reading an article the year Toronto drafted Marner where a former executive (can't remember who, maybe Brian Burke?) roasted the Leafs for taking Marner when Noah Hanifin was still available. Well, Marner didn't turn out too bad. 

On 5/13/2023 at 1:54 PM, Neech said:

We also have a glut of D prospects at the moment, with not many good forwards.

We need RD.  The only two worth a damn are Barron and Mailloux.  We are loaded on the left side.

That said I dont see Reinbacher as BPA at 5.

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

After the latest comments by Adam Nicholas (on nhl.com) I feel a bit less worried about Slafkovsky:

Nicholas on working with Juraj Slafkovsky:

What we're trying to teach him is how to play the 200 by 85-foot game, knowing when to and when not to. You saw moments where he was trying, at first, to possess the puck all the time and enter with possession and try to flash his skill. Well, that's not the NHL all the time. That's where watching highlights comes into effect. So, what we worked on him is just the game. Like, okay, this is when to chip it, this is when to put a puck into space and then go back and recover it. Those are the types of things that we really focused and want him to hone. So, the Big Rig [Slafkovsky], I feel, is heading in a very positive trajectory to where we need him to get to. This summer, for him, a big focus is going to be owning below the goal line, owning net front, and using those skills in those areas to produce.

51 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

After the latest comments by Adam Nicholas (on nhl.com) I feel a bit less worried about Slafkovsky:

Nicholas on working with Juraj Slafkovsky:

What we're trying to teach him is how to play the 200 by 85-foot game, knowing when to and when not to. You saw moments where he was trying, at first, to possess the puck all the time and enter with possession and try to flash his skill. Well, that's not the NHL all the time. That's where watching highlights comes into effect. So, what we worked on him is just the game. Like, okay, this is when to chip it, this is when to put a puck into space and then go back and recover it. Those are the types of things that we really focused and want him to hone. So, the Big Rig [Slafkovsky], I feel, is heading in a very positive trajectory to where we need him to get to. This summer, for him, a big focus is going to be owning below the goal line, owning net front, and using those skills in those areas to produce.

I sure hope they give him an extended stint in the AHL to hone these skills.

Craig Button's new #5
Axel Sandin Pellikka ... 5'11", 181 Lbs, RHD from Gällivare(Sweden), under contract through 24/25 ... fresh off winning best defenceman honours at the U18s in Switzerland after putting up 11 points in seven games to help Sweden earn silver.

12 minutes ago, DON said:

BOOOOooo!

I don't think Hughes pays too much attention to Button's list. Having said that, it shows how 1 tourney can really change the perception of some people which I guess is not surprising considering we are talking about 18 year old kids. 

Buttons list is always massively different from concensus.  I actually like that he takes different opinions and think more lists should look like this, but just know it doesnt mean much.

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Buttons list is always massively different from concensus.  

And this one is massively different, Reinbacher at 24, Cristall at 35, Heidt at 51.  That is way different than most lists I have looked at but maybe he is right.  It's hard to project what 18 year olds will look like in 3-4 years. Some peak early while others take longer. 

42 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Buttons list is always massively different from concensus.  I actually like that he takes different opinions and think more lists should look like this, but just know it doesnt mean much.

I agree on the different approach. Every year the lists are very similar. And every year they are probably 20% accurate.

Honestly, I really don't get the whole Russian fiasco nonsense at all.  Sure, Michkov is Russian, and he might have to conscript with the Army.  However, there is no way in hell that he'd be put on the front lines in Ukraine.  If Putin can't give an order to get him out of it he could order him to do 1 year service in their Army mail room or some other very safe BS position.

Plus, there is absolutely no argument that Putin won't let him leave either.  Putin wants Russian hockey players to make Russia look good.  Russians playing in the KHL dont show off to the world how great Russian hockey players are.  The only place where that can happen is in the NHL.  

The rumours that Michkov's KHL team will blackmail him and wont let him leave are completely ridiculous.  Sure, someone could try to circumvent Putin's wishes, but that certainly would not work out well for anybody who thinks to try that.  They would probably end up being found floating face down in a lake.  

I'm not even advocating to draft him, but the reasons the hockey people are giving to not draft him do not seem to be based on reality.  

10 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Honestly, I really don't get the whole Russian fiasco nonsense at all.  Sure, Michkov is Russian, and he might have to conscript with the Army.  However, there is no way in hell that he'd be put on the front lines in Ukraine.  If Putin can't give an order to get him out of it he could order him to do 1 year service in their Army mail room or some other very safe BS position.

Plus, there is absolutely no argument that Putin won't let him leave either.  Putin wants Russian hockey players to make Russia look good.  Russians playing in the KHL dont show off to the world how great Russian hockey players are.  The only place where that can happen is in the NHL.  

The rumours that Michkov's KHL team will blackmail him and wont let him leave are completely ridiculous.  Sure, someone could try to circumvent Putin's wishes, but that certainly would not work out well for anybody who thinks to try that.  They would probably end up being found floating face down in a lake.  

I'm not even advocating to draft him, but the reasons the hockey people are giving to not draft him do not seem to be based on reality.  

There are risks. And each team will evaluate those risks differently.

53 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

There are risks. And each team will evaluate those risks differently.

Sure.

And there are risks in taking inferior players as well.  Every player has risks. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Sure.

And there are risks in taking inferior players as well.  Every player has risks. 

Yes. Every player has a different set of risks (ceiling, floor, availability, injuries, size etc). None of them are 100% sure thing. So, a big part of the selection process is evaluating each prospect's risks and comparing those to the organization's risk tolerance profile.

The difference with Michkov is that he has an additional category of risk, not that the other prospects are risk-free. He's ranked high, but I'll be much more surprised to see him go at #2 than at #6 or later.

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The difference with Michkov is that he has an additional category of risk, not that the other prospects are risk-free. He's ranked high, but I'll be much more surprised to see him go at #2 than at #6 or later.

That's true. He does have an additional category of risk. I kind of hope that someone takes him before the Habs pick so that they don't have to make that choice. It seems pretty obvious he won't go 1 and likely not 2.  He is supposed to attend the draft which is a positive sign. If I was really confident I would get him in 3 years then he would be very tough to pass up.  He would still only be 21, be much more mature physically and mentally and still have 3 years left on his entry level deal. A lot to think about and not an easy decision for teams to make. Like a lot of decisions in life it's all about risk/reward. 

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes. Every player has a different set of risks (ceiling, floor, availability, injuries, size etc). None of them are 100% sure thing. So, a big part of the selection process is evaluating each prospect's risks and comparing those to the organization's risk tolerance profile.

I’d be very surprised if he didn’t go between #3-6. I think the first two picks are done deals - unless one of the two says they absolutely refuse to play for a franchise - which I think Lindros was the only example I can think of, but even than he was picked. It would be great to see Bedard say I refuse to play for a franchise that systematically his sexual abuse of one if it’s players and had a racist logo.  Never happen, but I guess if I’d also wish that he also add that he also refuses to play for a franchise:

- whose origins are a stupid Disney movie

- in a state that has confederate monuments and is a hockey wasteland

-a team that was dumb enough to sign Kane, and ended up losing Pavelski because if the signing

than a perfect finish for the statement I would be I only want to play in a city where I can improve my French.

Ok, I’ll stop dreaming now!

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's true. He does have an additional category of risk. I kind of hope that someone takes him before the Habs pick so that they don't have to make that choice. It seems pretty obvious he won't go 1 and likely not 2.  He is supposed to attend the draft which is a positive sign. If I was really confident I would get him in 3 years then he would be very tough to pass up.  He would still only be 21, be much more mature physically and mentally and still have 3 years left on his entry level deal. A lot to think about and not an easy decision for teams to make. Like a lot of decisions in life it's all about risk/reward. 

The more I think about it, the more I hope he’s still available and we take him. I’d rather roll the dice on Michkov and hope he is almost Bedard good. Frankly, I think that may end up being a lesser risk than taking Slafkovsky first overall. The more I read these stupid redraft articles - which I know are stupid, because it is way too early to be doing them, the more I worry we may have picked a Bonk or Stefan. It would be nice to have a couple of prospects that will becimw better players than Suzuki and Caufield, rather than hope that they can be complementary pieces.

25 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The more I think about it, the more I hope he’s still available and we take him. I’d rather roll the dice on Michkov and hope he is almost Bedard good. Frankly, I think that may end up being a lesser risk than taking Slafkovsky first overall. The more I read these stupid redraft articles - which I know are stupid, because it is way too early to be doing them, the more I worry we may have picked a Bonk or Stefan. It would be nice to have a couple of prospects that will becimw better players than Suzuki and Caufield, rather than hope that they can be complementary pieces.

Meh, it's too quick to judge. There were some folks that thought MacKinnon was a bust in CO after 2017, when his numbers continued to decline after his rookie season in '13-14. Then boom, from a 53 pt season to 97 pts. There were media outlets redoing the 2012 draft a year later in 2013 that catapulted Galchenyuk as the clear #1 overall.

It seems like there's a clearcut top 4, although Michkov might fall out of it. Kind of reminds me of the KK year where Dahlin and Svechnikov were the clear top 2 and we had the third pick.