2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Is Lafreniere still worth a #8 pick (and in a strong draft year yet)? Maybe no ...

If Dach was worth 12.  I think Laffy is 8.  Hes done more than Dach pre trade and has more pedigree.

20 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Is Lafreniere still worth a #8 pick (and in a strong draft year yet)? Maybe no ...

He’ll no!

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

If Dach was worth 12.  I think Laffy is 8.  Hes done more than Dach pre trade and has more pedigree.

I like how dach is working out, but i think the price was high. I wouldn’t move a top ten pick for another winger. We have bigger holes to address.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I like how dach is working out, but i think the price was high. I wouldn’t move a top ten pick for another winger. We have bigger holes to address.

Thats a different issue than what he is worth.  I'm merely saying that the 8th overall pick isn't bad value based on the precedent of what Dach was worth. 

Should we make the trade given our current needs?  I agree with you in that I'd rather use the pick on a defenceman.  That said, there is maybe one defenceman worth a top 10 pick in this draft, so we might be drafting a forward with that hypothetical pick anyways. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Is it just my Mac using Microsoft Edge or did someone in the CHL office BUTCHER the alignment in the list of names

Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 12.00.36 PM.png

On 1/6/2023 at 12:27 PM, Commandant said:

Thats a different issue than what he is worth.  I'm merely saying that the 8th overall pick isn't bad value based on the precedent of what Dach was worth. 

Should we make the trade given our current needs?  I agree with you in that I'd rather use the pick on a defenceman.  That said, there is maybe one defenceman worth a top 10 pick in this draft, so we might be drafting a forward with that hypothetical pick anyways. 

That's fair.  Value-wise, 8 for Lafreniere probably is in the right range.  But it's not a move I'd make if I was Montreal, especially in the scenario presented with Montreal winning the lottery.

On 1/6/2023 at 10:27 AM, Commandant said:

I don’t know why we’d move a draft from this year for anyone. Even if we did want to roll the dice on Lafraniere, it’s a totally different situation with the Rangers. Unlike the Hawks they are in win now mode. If we are going to bring in a winger we should be trying to move out a winger like Anderson. Take a bad st contract back, and that should be enough to get a deal done.

6 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t know why we’d move a draft from this year for anyone. Even if we did want to roll the dice on Lafraniere, it’s a totally different situation with the Rangers. Unlike the Hawks they are in win now mode. If we are going to bring in a winger we should be trying to move out a winger like Anderson. Take a bad st contract back, and that should be enough to get a deal done.

Yeah i dont see the rangers doing laffy for anderson.  I guess we disagree there 

If only there wasn't the Russian factor ... will he ever get away?

53 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He's picked it up since the trade to Sochi.

Almost surprising since Sochi is by far the worst team in the league ... it isn't like he is being carried by some of the KHL's best.

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Almost surprising since Sochi is by far the worst team in the league ... it isn't like he is being carried by some of the KHL's best.

Hes getting ice time, which he wasnt really before. One advantage to being on a bad team.

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It is and isn't though.  On a bad team he'd be the top player getting highest TOI and the best chances.  

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hes getting ice time, which he wasnt really before. One advantage to being on a bad team.

8 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

It is and isn't though.  On a bad team he'd be the top player getting highest TOI and the best chances.  

Very true ... the essence of my point is that he is doing it himself ... not being Warren Young carried on Mario Lemieux's back (WY that season scored 56% of his NHL goals in 34% of his NHL games) ... MM is most impressive ... but in the current political climate may make it a risk to draft him no matter how talented he shows himself to be.

14 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Very true ... the essence of my point is that he is doing it himself ... not being Warren Young carried on Mario Lemieux's back (WY that season scored 56% of his NHL goals in 34% of his NHL games) ... MM is most impressive ... but in the current political climate may make it a risk to draft him no matter how talented he shows himself to be.

Well worth the risk. Why not take a shot at a potential home run pick if he falls outside of the top five-- since we  could have two  ten picks. Hurray for Sergei Bobrovsky-- my favorite NHL player not on the Canadiens!  

McCagg on Marinaro a few days ago said that he didn't think the Habs would draft any Russian players, and whether or not his intel is right I imagine there are a few NHL clubs thinking along these lines. This could be a recipe for Michkov to fall into our lap, and I saw a stats guy on twitter saying that MM is one of the best European prospects we've ever seen based on the numbers.