Game #34 - Habs vs Stars 8:00 pm Friday Dec 23 2022

DON

7 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Why pull allen? Fo% has been terrible

As I’ve stated before, we are really good at letting in empty net goals.

Who cares if they score an empty netter.  Losing by 1 or by 2 is the same result.

Even if your faceoffs have been bad, you have nothing to lose, you have to put faith in your players and at least try.

Leaving the goalie in is giving up and you never want to instill that mentality into the team.

Good result for the tank, and no one got hurt.

Even if Pezzetta drew a bad penalty, he played better than Armia, Anderson, Slafkovsky, etc.

Happy for Evans, if he scores every other game, he will become a good grade chip like Leks was.

I love watching Guhle play except when he lays flat on the ice to block passes. He could get injured!

55 minutes ago, DON said:

No he wont.

He, he, he, :) 

If he scores every other game, sure he will. He has all the other attributes Arturi “cement hands” Lekhonen had :) 

22 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He, he, he, :) 

If he scores every other game, sure he will. He has all the other attributes Arturi “cement hands” Lekhonen had :) 

Evans looks like a 10 goal per year, strong defensive 4th liner to me. Lehkonen was more than that IMO. But he was very snake bit for scoring after his rookie year.

19 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Evans looks like a 10 goal per year, strong defensive 4th liner to me. Lehkonen was more than that IMO. But he was very snake bit for scoring after his rookie year.

Very true, but he was clearly (a) late bloomer, (b) badly misused by our coaches or (c) a guy who can produce when he’s given quality linemates; because he’s almost a PPG this season with the Avs. I never would have imagined that - I saw him as a prototypical third-liner, rock solid defensively, able to chip in here and there offensively but not someone to rely on for meaningful offensive production. Oh well.

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Very true, but he was clearly (a) late bloomer, (b) badly misused by our coaches or (c) a guy who can produce when he’s given quality linemates; because he’s almost a PPG this season with the Avs. I never would have imagined that - I saw him as a prototypical third-liner, rock solid defensively, able to chip in here and there offensively but not someone to rely on for meaningful offensive production. Oh well.

With all their injuries, they've been forced to use him on the top line pretty much all season; he's logging over 21 minutes a night.  Give him full credit for taking advantage (playing with guys like MacKinnon and Rantanen helps too) but if the Habs played him that much on the top line (he logged 15:00 per night in Montreal), his offensive numbers with the Habs would have looked considerably better as well.

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

With all their injuries, they've been forced to use him on the top line pretty much all season; he's logging over 21 minutes a night.  Give him full credit for taking advantage (playing with guys like MacKinnon and Rantanen helps too) but if the Habs played him that much on the top line (he logged 15:00 per night in Montreal), his offensive numbers with the Habs would have looked considerably better as well.

It’s not like we had a plethora of offensive stars up front, though. IF he keeps up his current 65-point pace - a big “if” - then perhaps it’s fair to condemn the lack of imagination on the part of our former coaches that led them to keep a guy with that upside relegated to a primarily defensive role. Water under the bridge, of course.

44 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s not like we had a plethora of offensive stars up front, though. IF he keeps up his current 65-point pace - a big “if” - then perhaps it’s fair to condemn the lack of imagination on the part of our former coaches that led them to keep a guy with that upside relegated to a primarily defensive role. Water under the bridge, of course.

Evans is exclusively used in shutdown roles with the worse wingers possible. I am sure he could do better if given the chance, like Leks

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Evans: 52 points over 166 games = 0.31ppg

Lehkonen: .41ppg, but with MTL: 147 over 396 = .37ppg

I am still of the opinion Evans has as much value as Lehkonen had, specially with his great PK play, cheaper contract than Lehks at the time and good FO%

image.png

17 minutes ago, Neech said:

I have a feeling that we'll be looking for our replacements for Lekhonen and Danault as long as we've been looking for our replacement for Markov.

in Hugh-Gort we trust this will not happen

40 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... I am still of the opinion Evans has as much value as Lehkonen had, specially with his great PK play ...

Thank you for the smile and chuckle.

3 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Agree, that's basically my thinking. I think of Evans as a perfect 4th line centre who can move up to 3rd line when required. Good team guy, who will score the odd big goal, play good defense and is on a decent contract.  Not bad for a 7th round pick. Not huge trade value so no point trading him. 

I think of Lehkonen as a perfect 3rd liner on a good team who can move up when required as he has the speed to keep up with elite players. Great attitude and team guy. Certainly a lot more value than Evans will ever have but we are comparing a 2nd round pick versus a 7th round pick so you would expect that. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Not huge trade value so no point trading him. 

Yes, he seems a fine fit and more valuable to current Habs than in a trade (unlike a Chiarot).

He seems a smart player, can skate and pretty good on faceoffs.

image.png

https://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?report=faceoffpercentages&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20222023&seasonTo=20222023&gameType=2&position=C&playerPlayedFor=franchise.1&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=totalFaceoffs&page=0&pageSize=50

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree, that's basically my thinking. I think of Evans as a perfect 4th line centre who can move up to 3rd line when required. Good team guy, who will score the odd big goal, play good defense and is on a decent contract.  Not bad for a 7th round pick. Not huge trade value so no point trading him. 

I think of Lehkonen as a perfect 3rd liner on a good team who can move up when required as he has the speed to keep up with elite players. Great attitude and team guy. Certainly a lot more value than Evans will ever have but we are comparing a 2nd round pick versus a 7th round pick so you would expect that. 

Well Lehks was used primarily in a top 6 role on Stanley cup champion Avs

Also playing in top 6 of Stanley cup finalist Habs...

I think you could all be wrong here...

3 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Well Lehks was used primarily in a top 6 role on Stanley cup champion Avs

Also playing in top 6 of Stanley cup finalist Habs...

I think you could all be wrong here...

11 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Evans is exclusively used in shutdown roles with the worse wingers possible. I am sure he could do better if given the chance, like Leks

Ok so why trade him.  Hes 26 (not too old to be part of the future), his contract is cheap (and his extension shouldnt be crazy), and he kills penalties well (something not a lot of our forwards do).  So why move him

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Ok so why trade him.  Hes 26 (not too old to be part of the future), his contract is cheap (and his extension shouldnt be crazy), and he kills penalties well (something not a lot of our forwards do).  So why move him

Because he is at his peak value on his current contract 

Pay him more and his value goes down. Give him term and he may need waivers in 3-4 years 

Edited by alfredoh2009

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Pay him more and his value goes down. Give him term and he may need waivers in 3-4 years 

IMO it all depends on what is offered in return ... AND ... how HuGo project the centre depth behind Suzuki ... which are NHLers? ... which are NHL centres (including Dach?) ... where do those guys slot (i.e.,  likely a 1C/2C/3C/4C?) ... in alphabetical order currently they are (with no suggestion all or even most or many are future NHLers):  Beck, Belzile, Biondi, Davidson, Farrell, Kapanen, Kidney, Mysak, Olofsson, Pitlick, Richard, Rohrer, Schnarr, Simoneau, Smilanic, Smith, Stephens

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He's not at peak value this season, at least let his numbers rebound before trading him.

But no rush because he's one of our few good defensive forwards.

4 hours ago, Neech said:

He's not at peak value this season, at least let his numbers rebound before trading him.

But no rush because he's one of our few good defensive forwards.

And even if he were at peak value ... you need to have someone else ready to step in before trading him. And I'm not so sure we have that right now.

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #34 - Habs vs Stars 8:00 pm Friday Dec 23 2022