Game #36, Montreal @ Florida, Dec 29, 2022 7:00PM EST

GHT120

Habs looking like Austria out there 🇦🇹 

D'oh, Kovacevic took out Guhle.  I hope Guhle is alright because that fall looked like it hurt both his knees.   That sorta looked similar to when Monahan injured his ankle.  i.e. when you see someone's joint bend in a way that is not normal.  

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Wouldn’t it be amazing if Xhekaj becomes a 20 goal Dman for us?!

There's what, maybe one 20-goal defenceman a year now?  That's lofty expectations, especially for someone whose career high in junior was 12.

Something to clarify for those watching the TSN feed, despite Bryan Mudryk's repeated insistence that Gallagher received an instigator penalty, he didn't.  That's notable as an instigator would have carried an automatic suspension since it was in the final five minutes.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

There's what, maybe one 20-goal defenceman a year now?  That's lofty expectations, especially for someone whose career high in junior was 12.

Well, thats why it would be amazing.  

I think they should use him on the point during the PP more and have him practice doing 1 timers.  He's such a big strong guy he could be able to manage doing 100 mph slapshots.  If they use him like that he might be able to get 10 ppg/yr which would go along way for him to get 20g/yr.  

28 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Habs looking like Austria out there 🇦🇹 

The Austrian Ambassador on line 3 threatening a lawsuit for slandering his nation's team.

17 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

D'oh, Kovacevic took out Guhle.  I hope Guhle is alright because that fall looked like it hurt both his knees.   That sorta looked similar to when Monahan injured his ankle.  i.e. when you see someone's joint bend in a way that is not normal.  

@GHT120 I was watching the Flor feed and they also showed it from the other side and his left knee bent in a similar manner.  Their announcer said it was his right knee from the angle of the vid you posted yet he seemed to be holding his left knee.  

41 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... I hope Guhle is alright because that fall looked like it hurt both his knees ...

18 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

@GHT120 I was watching the Flor feed and they also showed it from the other side and his left knee bent in a similar manner.  Their announcer said it was his right knee from the angle of the vid you posted yet he seemed to be holding his left knee.  

If he did in fact hurt both knees he may simply have been holding the one that hurt the most ... good news is that watched the highlights and saw he walked/limped off on his own to the dressing room ...  just hope the Habs are UBER-cautious with the young man about this.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If he did in fact hurt both knees he may simply have been holding the one that hurt the most ... just hope they are UBER-cautious with the young man about this.

My point was from the angle you posted it certainly looks like he hurt his right knee, however; from the other angle it looks like he hurt his left knee.  I had the impression that both of his knees could be injured.  I'm pretty sure that he was holding his left knee and just like you say that would be because it was injured worse.  

Good result for the tank as expected

bone of the pending UFAs got hurt. I am happy

i don’t want to think how much worse the Halbs could play if they were tanking 

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

bone of the pending UFAs got hurt. I am happy

The problem is the that the only pending UFA with any value is already injured ... 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The problem is the that the only pending UFA with any value is already injured ... 

This is a good point. The two veteran Habs that could bring serious returns are Anderson and Edmundson, neither of whom is UFA. Monahan, playing like he was and with his pedigree, would certainly bring a strong return, assuming he comes back and returns to his previous form.

Drouin and Dandonov are just plain garbage, unlikely to yield any meaningful return at all.

It’d be nice to trade Gally or Hoffman, but who is going to take on those contracts?

EDIT: I followed this up with long ruminations on the rebuild, but I've moved those into the "Tank Hard" thread where they belong.

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

And if/when we move out Monahan, Drouin, and Dandonov, we will also create significant roster holes that will need to be filled somehow. Right now those guys, no matter how badly the latter two suck, are better than any alternative within the organization. So the team will only get worse with their departure. 

It’ll be interesting.

Certainly moving Monahan will leave a hole, we have seen that with his current injury as they have really missed him but I think you have to stick to the plan. I just don't think resigning him is the answer as he seems injury prone at this point in his career but he should fetch a nice return at the deadline if he is healthy.  Drouin and Dadonov have 2 goals between them so replacing them shouldn't be difficult, perhaps Slaf takes a big step forward next year. It might be one more year of pain. It will be interesting. 

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

There is the Montembault who is a tank commander.

It certainly wasn't a strong game but the Habs would have lost this with or without him: xG was 4.66 to 1.86 for the Panthers, so you could attribute roughly two of the goals to Montembeault's play (which makes sense as he allowed five high-danger goals and two medium ones, and saved all low-danger shots).

The team simply isn't playing well, and really hasn't been since mid-November. And now the goalies aren't bailing them out, either, so they only have seven wins in the last 20 games -- and two in the last 10. And all the lopsided results of the season fit into that that 20-game span, I think. It's not just Monahan, either, the secondary scoring has been nowhere, and the opponents have figured out how Suzuki and Caufield can be neutralized.

I think this is really a challenge for St-Louis, how to adapt his philosophy (not system!) as the other coaches adjust their game plans. I do have confidence in his ability to change, though, as he showed that throughout his career as a player. But this will be a new challenge for him ...

9 hours ago, tomh009 said:

[…]

I think this is really a challenge for St-Louis, how to adapt his philosophy (not system!) as the other coaches adjust their game plans. I do have confidence in his ability to change, though, as he showed that throughout his career as a player. But this will be a new challenge for him ...

:ph34r: I find it funny when he has that lost puppy look on the bench and that the coaching staff is looking down with their head in their hands  :ph34r: 

tanking is a grind on anyone hoping for a miracle to happen

9 hours ago, tomh009 said:

It certainly wasn't a strong game but the Habs would have lost this with or without him: xG was 4.66 to 1.86 for the Panthers, so you could attribute roughly two of the goals to Montembeault's play (which makes sense as he allowed five high-danger goals and two medium ones, and saved all low-danger shots).

The team simply isn't playing well, and really hasn't been since mid-November. And now the goalies aren't bailing them out, either, so they only have seven wins in the last 20 games -- and two in the last 10. And all the lopsided results of the season fit into that that 20-game span, I think. It's not just Monahan, either, the secondary scoring has been nowhere, and the opponents have figured out how Suzuki and Caufield can be neutralized.

Habs didnt play well... but 7 goals on 4.66 is still -2.33 gsax, a bad night.

Hes coming back to earth like last year.

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

:ph34r: I find it funny when he has that lost puppy look on the bench and that the coaching staff is looking down with their head in their hands  :ph34r: 

LOSING is a grind on anyone hoping for a miracle to happen

Edited for you ... the Habs coaches and players are not tanking ... none ever do ... you well know this ... they disposed of nobody useful last summer or so far this season (Petry was a forced trade and given how he played last season , even with Matheson not shining it was hardly a "tank move") ... in fact they added a significantly useful piece in Monahan (if healthy) ... but it may be time to start ... moving/trying to move Armia and Hoffman are likely an off-season project (and one HELL of a project at that).

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Habs didnt play well... but 7 goals on 4.66 is still -2.33 gsax, a bad night.

Hes coming back to earth like last year.

Indeed a bad game. But he has had some strong games recently, too. Not consistent at the moment, we’ll see where he trends — and same for Allen.