Game #39 - Montreal vs New York Rangers - 7 pm

GHT120

• Upvote 2

From the Habs website

Forward Mike Hoffman and defenseman Justin Barron took part in the skate, but they were extras.

Forward Brendan Gallagher won't play tonight because of a lower-body injury.

They also confirm the lines/pairings in my original post, except that not surprisingly Dvorak, not Anderson, is centering the second line.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Fair statement 

Journalists are so nice with MSL that he needs to call him self out because no one would

Thanks 

I read this:

Pulling the goalie when on the penalty-kill but having 6 skaters out there is something I don't think I have ever seen before.

1 minute ago, Neech said:

Hey at least we didn't get shut out, and Armia finally got on the board.

The tank continues. Nashville and St Louis win, which helps positioning on the Florida pick.

I know it’s too much to ask…but….is it really too much to ask for the top two draft picks 🍆

Nice, Armia got a goal.  Crazy, he hadn't scored since April.  Thats awesome he finally got 1 because he has had a ton of chances with 0 luck and he has definitely played better than his stats show.   Hopefully, he can start doing it regularly. Geez eh, it seems like Armia almost got a hattrick.  He had a really good chance before he scored and he hit the cross bar later on too. 

The Habs were the last team this year to join the short handed goal scored on them club.  I still say that makes absolutely no sense considering they've been playing 4 rookie dmen.  

7 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

...The Habs were the last team this year to join the short handed goal scored on them club.  I still say that makes absolutely no sense considering they've been playing 4 rookie dmen.  

Those 4 rookies, combined, have 49:05 PP-TOI this season

St Louis testing time.

Was wondering how he would react to an extended losing streak.

And when will the calls for his head on a platter would start.

Slafkovski with powder puff pass for Ranger SH goal, hope the kid is learning and not just getting frustrated and struggling.

0 shots for Suzuki...wonder why he hasnt scored much lately...shoot the f'in puck sir!

OF the d-men Xhekaj is the one that has been noted by writers in 3 stars quite often. Again, he chipped in on offense and played fine.:clap: 

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/01/habs-lose-seventh-straight/

"3rd Star – Arber Xhekaj 

The turn on Xhekaj has started on social media and frankly, I’m disgusted by it. Xhekaj is playing bottom pair, makes a nice first pass, adds physicality to the team, gets pucks to the net in the offensive zone, and obviously will stick up for teammates. What more can a team want from a bottom-pairing player? Sure, he gets victimized on the Rangers’ shorty, but it’s not as though he made that garbage soft pass, he was simply beat with speed. I guess if one has aspirations of Xhekaj being a top-four defender, he could go get a ton of touches in the A. I see him as more of a bottom-pairing career dude that adds a ton with his ability to be both physical and puck capable. 

Stats: 1 assist, -1, 2 shots, 2 hits, 14:23 T.O.I."

I miss Guhle.

Pretty much the most boring 1st period in history.

I am glad they lost and happy no one got hurt 

I am happy I did not watch the game, sounds like a soul killing experience

I do not wish bad on MSL or any one in the organization; just a bit of humility in evaluations their assumptions and decisions this season. Not the development path I would have taken 

Go Habs Go!!!

I didn't waste my time watching this game, watched WJC gold game instead.  Good result for the tank, unfortunate that Caufield didn't score.  Was kind of hoping that Wifi would jump/demolish Kreider...or even Trouba, but no such luck.  Sounds like this game had little to no entertainment value.

Based on what I've seen this season - and I've been missing a ton of games these last few weeks for various reasons - Xhekaj is the least of the team's problems. I know he's a wild-card as a prospect, but don't bet against him carving out a long and effective career for himself. He just seems like a highly resilient guy, unfazed by anything, who keeps plugging away and does have sneaky-good puck-skills. I still like my Kevin Bieksa analogy.

Slaf's pass reminded me of Galy's pass to Suzuki in Game 5 of the Toronto series. "Here you go!" That said, I wouldn't focus on that one gaffe. What I want to see from the kid is some indication that he wants to make a difference: a good hit, meaningful chances...do SOMETHING to impose himself on the opposition. 

The only way a plodder like Armia is effective is if he is physically involved. His goal game from standing in front of the net. Good. Do more that, FFS. He's been as much a passenger as Slaf is, with much less excuse.

I suspect these Habs really miss Guhle. Gonna be a long two months without him.🤕

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I suspect these Habs really miss Guhle. Gonna be a long two months without him.🤕

Xhekaj seems to have better self-preservation skills than Guhle.

Guhle seems to get hit too often and puts himself in dangerous spots, whereas Xhekaj has avoided getting rocked (230-240lb may be one key difference?).

Anyways, hope Guhle recovers 100% and is back sooner than later.